Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gusmahler

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
How do you delete photos off the iPhone?

I have an iPhone 4 running iOS 7.0.3.

About a month ago, I connected the iPhone to my Mac (running 10.8.5) and transferred all the photos to iPhoto. My daughter complained that she needed to post some of the photos on Instagram. So I used iTunes to sync those photos back to the phone (over a gig of photos and videos).

But now that she's finished with the photos, there does not appear to be any way to get those photos off of the iPhone. iPhoto does not show those photos to be on the phone. I set up iTunes to not sync any photos from iPhoto. But the photos still show up. They aren't individually deletable and I can't delete the album. (I can select the photos, but the trash can icon is grayed out).

I don't know if it's an iOS 7.0.3 problem, but that's irrelevant--I can't update to 7.0.4 because I don't have space on the phone. What can I do?

FoxFifth

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
The following is from http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4236

To delete synced photos and videos from your device
In iTunes, click the Device button in the upper right corner. (If viewing the iTunes Store, click the Library button in the upper-right corner first.)
Click the Photos tab in the resulting window.
Choose "Selected albums" and deselect the albums or collections you want to delete.
Note: To delete all synced photos, deselect "Sync Photos from" and, when asked, click "Remove photos."
Click Apply.

If that fails, some have reported succeeding by syncing to an empty folder or event. If your main goal is just to reduce the storage you could also try syncing to an event or album in iPhoto that just has one photo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.