Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
This may be a stupid question, but is there any way that the nMP could be plugged into a rMBP to offer additional computing power (specifically for video rendering)? I'm wondering if I could use the nMP and an external raid to power an editing station running through my rMBP and then unplug and work portably when the power isn't needed.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
You can use Compressor to set up a cluster over your LAN, though I haven't done it for rendering but have used it for transcoding the final product to a format suitable for web streaming.

But, the nMP and FCPX are likely to end up working faster together than doing something like having the nMP be part of a cluster since FCPX should be getting an update to use the CPUs and GPUs for rendering and compression.

The RAID will need to be connected to whatever device is the master in the cluster, I'm not aware of any software that would let you have the rMBP work as a client for a headless editing station (other than using remote desktop).

There's no way to directly connect the two, though, such as via TB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.