Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
I just picked up a white/silver 5s today but nothing on the box says it's unlocked. I was under the impression the box would say it's unlocked. If not, how would I know it's unlocked?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
The box doesn't say. Put a couple of different branded sim cards in it and see if they all work.

Alternatively, you could just check your unlock status with one of the many sites available.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
The box doesn't say. Put a couple of different branded sim cards in it and see if they all work.

Alternatively, you could just check your unlock status with one of the many sites available.

Thanks.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Apple should make it much easier to know that. Either on the phone itself or at least when you plug it into iTunes or perhaps someone on Apple's site.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Keep in mind this isn't always reliable. A number of members have their unlocked iPhones showing as locked.

It doesn't even seem to be consistent; two weeks ago it listed my unlocked 4S as locked, but now it's listing the same phone as unlocked.

Question: Do locked phones have something on the box to indicate their operator? I think I once saw a picture of one with an AT&T logo on the barcode label (mine has no logo there).

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Apple should make it much easier to know that. Either on the phone itself or at least when you plug it into iTunes or perhaps someone on Apple's site.

If you buy an unlocked phone it will be unlocked. What else do you need to know?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
If you buy an unlocked phone it will be unlocked. What else do you need to know?

I can only assume he is referring to second hand sales. There isn't a good "oh yes, I see through the software here that this phone is unlocked" setting. Not the end of the world. But it would be nice.

harpyeagle

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2011
Your receipt should say unlocked

From previous experience, If you bought/picked up at an Apple store, it should say unlocked in the receipt, but nothing to indicate so in the box/phone itself.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
From previous experience, If you bought/picked up at an Apple store, it should say unlocked in the receipt, but nothing to indicate so in the box/phone itself.

Thanks. It does say unlocked on the receipt.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
I looked at my iphone 4 and 5s box, both purchased as at&t models. Both have a grey at&t logo on the back of the box. Perhaps not all carriers put a logo on the box, but at&t sure does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.