Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thepominlaw

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Hi all,

Replacing my aging 21.5" late 2009 iMac as i need to free up the spare room and turn it back into a bedroom. As such i have pretty much settled on the 13" mid level MacBook Pro with 256Gb SSD and 8Gb ram.

Will the graphics on the MBP be an improvement on my old integrated 9400m on my iMac? I know my mac at the moment can access 256mb of system memory, i believe this is how the new intel iris chipset works, isnt this a bad thing? Basically i would like to play only 2 games which my imac cannot handle Minecraft and WOW, is the iris suitable for this?

Also how should i manage the lack of storage currently everything is on the internal drive and backed up via time machine. I use lightroom, itunes and thats about it.

Cheers

Cristian .b

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2013
Apple walled garden
Hi all,

Replacing my aging 21.5" late 2009 iMac as i need to free up the spare room and turn it back into a bedroom. As such i have pretty much settled on the 13" mid level MacBook Pro with 256Gb SSD and 8Gb ram.

Will the graphics on the MBP be an improvement on my old integrated 9400m on my iMac? I know my mac at the moment can access 256mb of system memory, i believe this is how the new intel iris chipset works, isnt this a bad thing? Basically i would like to play only 2 games which my imac cannot handle Minecraft and WOW, is the iris suitable for this?

Also how should i manage the lack of storage currently everything is on the internal drive and backed up via time machine. I use lightroom, itunes and thats about it.

Cheers

The iris takes as much ram as it needs on a given task. So while gaming it may take more ram to use for graphics. For storage you can use an external hard drive if thats suitable for you. External 1Tbs are pretty cheap.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.