Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TEEREY16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2013
Looking for suggestions on setting up a home media server that I can access locally and remotely. I bought a house about 6 months ago and have been slowly setting up the components of my network, including a full re-wire with Cat 6. Now that the wiring is complete and I have most of the components in place, I want to get a media server set up (thinking older model Mac Pro or Mac mini based system with additional Thunderbolt storage, but open to any suggestions). Here is a breakdown of my current network and hardware I have, plus the capabilities I’m looking for (see attached diagram). Also, what is the best software for ripping Blu Rays/DVDs/CDs and do I need any additional software to access the media my devices (Plex) locally and remotely?

Hardware (4 locations):
- Office Closet:
- 9U rack mount case
- 1U 24-port Cat6 patch panel
- 1U 24-port 10/100 Mbps switch
- 1U 12-outlet surge protector
- Comcast modem/router
- 4 120mm fans (currently unplugged due to lack of heat and noise)
- Planned:
- Thermostat for fans
- 1U rack mount shelf for Comcast modem/router
- Office (desk):
- Time Capsule 3TB (newest model)
- Family Room:
- Airport Express (set up to extend Time Capsule network)
- Apple TV (connected to Samsung receiver and TV)
- Bedroom:
- Airport Express (set up to extend Time Capsule network)
- Apple TV (connected to Samsung sound bar/receiver and TV)

Computers:
- MacBook Pro, MacBook, Dell Work PCs

Mobile Devices:
- iPhone 5s, iPads

Extra:
- Time Capsule 500GB (original model)

Cat 6 Wiring:
- Office Closet:
- Homeruns connect from the patch panel to a wall plate in each location
- Office (desk): 3 homeruns to patch panel
- Family Room: 6 homeruns to patch panel
- Bedroom: 3 homeruns to patch panel

Desired Capabilities:
- Media server to store all media files (2 separate iTunes libraries, pictures, movies)
- This is where the Mac Pro or Mac mini connected to additional Thunderbolt storage comes in
- If Mac Pro, any suggestions for rack mounting, I've seen people cut the handles off and use a sliding shelf
- Easy drag and drop file server to access documents locally and remotely from computers, iPads, iPhones
- Rip Blu Rays/DVDs with metadata
- Locally and remotely play stored movies and music on Apple TVs (local only), computers, iPads, iPhones
- I think this covers the basics, but I’m interested in any additional capabilities that would be useful

Attachments

• Network Diagram.pdf
    172.4 KB · Views: 111

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
I don't see a lot of questions in your post, and it looks like you're already pretty adept at all of this. As far as ripping movies is concerned, I would recommend MakeMKV (which can rip Blu-ray discs). You can then downconvert them into an iTunes/Apple TV-friendly format using Handbrake, but I personally think that adds a lot of time, degrades quality, and with the cheap cost of storage these days, why waste my time. Instead, use Plex Media Server to transcode on-the-fly to your "lesser" devices (Apple TV). And in your main viewing room / largest TV room, I would put an HTPC that can play that source content at full bitrate. That can be the same PC as the Plex Media Server, of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.