Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yolatechno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
I've got an FCP project on teh go, and my harddrive with teh video files died. I plugged in the backup, but for some reason nothing is relinking... Even though all the file names are the same, I'm getting a message "unspecified path".

Anyone know what this could be??

thaboz

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2008
Relink

Easiest way is to relink the files, in FCP 7 go to [Edit] in the menu bar and select [Reconnect Media] then look at the first files, make sure you browse to the drive and select the clip with the same name on the external drive, after this it might/will find files in the same directory (otherwise select all files manually, bit of a pain but I've had to do it multiple times in the past, should not take you more than a hour max.) When all files are selected select relink and that should do it. Let me know if you have any issues.

zijlstra:apple:me.com

yolatechno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
Easiest way is to relink the files, in FCP 7 go to [Edit] in the menu bar and select [Reconnect Media] then look at the first files, make sure you browse to the drive and select the clip with the same name on the external drive, after this it might/will find files in the same directory (otherwise select all files manually, bit of a pain but I've had to do it multiple times in the past, should not take you more than a hour max.) When all files are selected select relink and that should do it. Let me know if you have any issues.

zijlstra:apple:me.com

Thanks! However, finding the files is not the problem - when I click reconnect media it sees them, but after I select them a notice comes up saying "unspecified path"...

thaboz

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2008

initialsBB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
You could try either exporting an XML of the sequence and importing that into a new blank project to reconnect, or creating an offline version of the project from the media manager, and then try reconnect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.