Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Just curious thats all. I love the Sammy 10.1 Note 2014 but find it purely as a desk/lap device and not a handheld like 8" tabs. Still think 8" is the sweet spot for tabs, and this is coming from someone who has used them all.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I'm an Android smartphone user and I'd never touch Android on a tablet. It is a dreadful experience. iOS is perfect for tablets.

I'll pick up the next iPad, especially if they add TouchID to it.

Couple of my buddies just picked up the new N7s. Chrome on it is terrible. Complete lag fest
Even Safari on my outdated iPad runs smoother and quicker.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Well, today I just bought the Nexus 7 again (this is my fifth try and it seems a keeper) and I just love this tablet.

So fast. I don't see lag on Chrome. It's actually the best device I've tried for Chrome. Web browsing is a pleasure, and I had an iPad so I know of its fluidity and all, but this is much much better. For starters there's absolutely no checkerboards thanks to the 2GB RAM I guess. I tried the iPad Air today on the store and it only loaded 50% of the web pictures every time, until you scroll downwards and then they appear slowly.

Anyway, having such a good tablet like the Nexus 7 for pictures just 235€ for the 32GB model it doesn't make too much sense for me to spend almost the double to get the 32GB iPad Air.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
If the iPad Air was 32GB I may have considered it. But when I saw 16GB still I just shook my head and laughed. I really thought Apple would increase it to 32. But I was wrong. Apple's just got lazy and arrogant if you ask me. Android is a fine OS. I know you'll hear the opposite here, but that's just ignorance. Much like PC users saying Macs suck "cuz they suck" , "Macs have no software"... see the connection? :rolleyes:

Well, today I just bought the Nexus 7 again (this is my fifth try and it seems a keeper) and I just love this tablet.

So fast. I don't see lag on Chrome. It's actually the best device I've tried for Chrome. Web browsing is a pleasure, and I had an iPad so I know of its fluidity and all, but this is much much better. For starters there's absolutely no checkerboards thanks to the 2GB RAM I guess. I tried the iPad Air today on the store and it only loaded 50% of the web pictures every time, until you scroll downwards and then they appear slowly.

Anyway, having such a good tablet like the Nexus 7 for pictures just 235€ for the 32GB model it doesn't make too much sense for me to spend almost the double to get the 32GB iPad Air.

Odd. I did the same at Best Buy and everything loaded fine...not saying you're lying, just sharing my experience. :) Maybe the connection was bad?

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Hell NO! I don't care how nice the hardware is when the OS is trash. After using Android and Windows 8 I would never go back to a tablet that won't allow me to do basic things like managing files or browse flash enabled sites without resorting to a crappy cloud browser.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I have an iPad Air. Just prefer iOS tablets over android. However, I picked up a Nexus 7 last week and really liking it. Keeping both.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
I'm an Android smartphone user and I'd never touch Android on a tablet. It is a dreadful experience. iOS is perfect for tablets.

Couple of my buddies just picked up the new N7s. Chrome on it is terrible. Complete lag fest

Android on tabs is fine from my experience. Most people want ios cause they just assume flashy hooked on phonics sized icons means its better. Like another poster said earlier, ios feels like a childs OS.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Android on tabs is fine from my experience. Most people want ios cause they just assume flashy hooked on phonics sized icons means its better. Like another poster said earlier, ios feels like a childs OS.

Don't stoop to the level of slamming another OS just because another poster does. It's not worth it. If they want to think iOS is the end all and be all of everything, let 'em. Who cares? :)

----------

I have an iPad Air. Just prefer iOS tablets over android. However, I picked up a Nexus 7 last week and really liking it. Keeping both.

Same boat as me. I have and like both. Getting tempted by the Venue 8 too. Gonna give Windows another year though and wait for the 8.1 release before picking one up. :)

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Odd. I did the same at Best Buy and everything loaded fine...not saying you're lying, just sharing my experience. :) Maybe the connection was bad?

Maybe your websites aren't as full of pictures as the ones I tried:

Marca.com

As.com

Mundodeportivo.com

They are very picture heavy.

Ericcc

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Montreal
I bought an Air because I wanted the lightest possible 10" tablet, and its synergy with my gf's purchased academic IOS apps and textbooks. It's serving pretty well as a textbook replacement, pdf annotater, and an always-on entertainment device.

My main (and pretty much only) gripe is not actually the lack of a file system. It's the low RAM. Safari tabs are reloading way too often, which is ruining the web browsing experience for me. It still has 1G of RAM, keeping 2-3 tabs in memory shouldn't be that demanding.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

This sounds like you have not used a recent android tablet. I can agree with this statement if it was late 2012 or even early 2013. The current n7 provides a phenomenal tablet experience. I have an n7 and my GF has the ipad air. The only time I grab for the Air over the n7 is if I plan on using Airplay or Amazon Instant.

As others have mentioned, you still do get a checkerboard often on ipads.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Had an iPad for 2 years.

It's funny - I barely use it apart from on holiday.

Having an MBP and a smartphone basically renders it pointless in my life, and I'm one of those people that told everyone how awesome the iPad was on release.

That's just my personal usage patterns, though.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011

Just dont keep more than 2 tabs open in Chrome. Then, it surely wont lag.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Yes, I bought an Air and I love it.

However, I can't wait for the jailbreak. I also hope safari tab refresh syndrome is solved with ios 7.1.

It is, for the mostpart - see my report at https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18522600/

----------

My main (and pretty much only) gripe is not actually the lack of a file system. It's the low RAM. Safari tabs are reloading way too often, which is ruining the web browsing experience for me. It still has 1G of RAM, keeping 2-3 tabs in memory shouldn't be that demanding.

It is demanding - see my dedicated posts.

Luckily, 7.1b2 seems to have vastly improved the situation.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
I like both ios and android. I wanted to buy a new tablet this fall and it was between the retina mini, ipad air and the Lg G Pad 8.3.

I didn't want to spend $400 for the new mini. I really liked what I read about the Air and the Lg tablet. In the end the Air came out sooner and I bought it. It really is a great tablet. However, if I were buying today, and now that the Google Play Edition of the LG G Pad 8.3 came out unexpectedly, I would get the LG Google Edition hands down.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Forgot to add one more thing.

While trying the iPad Air on the store Safari crashed with five tabs when going back to the home screen with the multitasking gesture. The springboard immediately crashed and rebooted.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
no

apple are still restrictive and you can't add things into them as easy as android.

my main tablet use is purely internet,watching tv shows and films and youtube...don't play games.

got a note 8.0 and love it to bits..use it as my main tablet. got an ipad 2 but i only used that for youtube videos and now i have chromecast i have no use for the ipad.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
I have an iPad 4 and a Surface Pro provided by my employer and a Nexus 10 purchased by myself. Not a huge fan of Mobile OS and typically use my Surface Pro if I want to use a tablet or play my PC games in a more mobile style.

That said, If I did like mobile OS Tablets I don't think thinner and lighter would be enough to make me shell out $499 for what amounts to be the same thing as before to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.