Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
So I have 2 TVs with an Atv on each and I've cut the cord, no cable tv nor satellite We are using my Sister's Hulu Plus, a friend gave me his HBOgo Login and we pay for Netflix.

We are a family of all Apple gear; 2 iPod Touch 4th gen; 2 iPhones (5S & a 4); iPad Mini; iPad Mini Retina; iPad 2; a Mac Mini and a 13 inch MBP between 3 people.

I want to get a Chromecast to play with it. But I'm not sure at this point that a Chromecast could do anything for me or my family.

Is there anything that a Chromecast does that I can't already do on my AppleTVs? Should I even bother?
$29 isn't a lot of money... but it is still a lot to pay for a paperweight if I don't use the thing.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Do you travel? It would be way more convenient to plug into a hotel TV than an Apple TV. Do you do presentations at work? Same deal...

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Do you travel? It would be way more convenient to plug into a hotel TV than an Apple TV. Do you do presentations at work? Same deal...

No to both of those. :( I sit in front of a computer all day for work... and I travel only as far as my workplace for months at a time. I might go to Vegas again sometime in the next year... but it's doubtful.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I have ATV'S, Roku's and Chromecast's. I cut my cord about 4 years ago and haven't looked back. There is little point for you to get a Chromecast at this point, as it won't give you any added benefit, especially as it sounds like you are embedded in the Apple ecosystem.

I have both Google and iOS equipment services and it allows me to be very flexible. Right now Roku is the best set top box on the market. The Roku 3 works with any computer server (Mac or PC), works with iPhone and Android, allows for USB thumb drives (in case you law internet, you can still use a thumb drive), and it has the most content. Apple TV is limited in content and to only Apple products for streaming, and Chromecast is the most limited on content, but has the most freedom. Once you begin a Chromecast from your phone or tablet, you don't have to keep the phone or tablet on. The Chromecast takes over. And within the next year, expect Chromecast will have the most content and capabilities. Just my guess though.

Lastly, get yourself a cheap digital antenna of Amazon. For less than $20, you will get live channels from ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and CW. I am able to pick up Spanish channels as well like Telemundo and Univision. It is nice to have free live TV.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
If you use airplay on your phone and do not have an ipad you should consider one. If you were to airplay using your phone you would need to keep the app running with ATV. The chromecast will play via the cloud once you start a video. It can save you a lot of battery, but if you airplay with a separate device it doesn't really matter.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I have ATV'S, Roku's and Chromecast's. I cut my cord about 4 years ago and haven't looked back. There is little point for you to get a Chromecast at this point, as it won't give you any added benefit, especially as it sounds like you are embedded in the Apple ecosystem.

I have both Google and iOS equipment services and it allows me to be very flexible. Right now Roku is the best set top box on the market. The Roku 3 works with any computer server (Mac or PC), works with iPhone and Android, allows for USB thumb drives (in case you law internet, you can still use a thumb drive), and it has the most content. Apple TV is limited in content and to only Apple products for streaming, and Chromecast is the most limited on content, but has the most freedom. Once you begin a Chromecast from your phone or tablet, you don't have to keep the phone or tablet on. The Chromecast takes over. And within the next year, expect Chromecast will have the most content and capabilities. Just my guess though.

Lastly, get yourself a cheap digital antenna of Amazon. For less than $20, you will get live channels from ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and CW. I am able to pick up Spanish channels as well like Telemundo and Univision. It is nice to have free live TV.

We're never home enough to care about standard TV. I have a decent antenna I bought a ways back... building penetration kind of sucks though... We basically get CBS NBC ABC CW and Fox cuts in and out. The only channel I even remotely care to watch live is USA when WWE is on... but I just watch it on Hulu the next day now.

----------

If you use airplay on your phone and do not have an ipad you should consider one. If you were to airplay using your phone you would need to keep the app running with ATV. The chromecast will play via the cloud once you start a video. It can save you a lot of battery, but if you airplay with a separate device it doesn't really matter.

I mostly airplay my Mac Mini as a 3rd screen ( I have a 2 monitor set up) and I drop whatever browser I'm watching online videos on, onto the TV. I have 2 other windows to surf... seems like there is no reason for me to get a Chromecast. :(

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I mostly airplay my Mac Mini as a 3rd screen ( I have a 2 monitor set up) and I drop whatever browser I'm watching online videos on, onto the TV. I have 2 other windows to surf... seems like there is no reason for me to get a Chromecast. :(

I think you just answered your own question.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Well that was pretty much my thoughts the whole time. I was looking for a reason TO get one... but I can't seem to find one.

I have two apple TV's and one Chromecast. I have 3 TVs so they all get used, but there is zero reason to replace an ATV w/ a chromecast. I will say the chromecast is in my main room since it is cross platform. Anyone with an android or IOS devices can stream to it and that is a definite leg up on the ATV.

I bought a lot of chromecast's for gifts this year...a lot better than spending $99 for an ATV. Basically if you have ATV there is not reason to replace it, but if you are in the market for a device I would recommend the chromecast over the ATV for the price.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I have two apple TV's and one Chromecast. I have 3 TVs so they all get used, but there is zero reason to replace an ATV w/ a chromecast. I will say the chromecast is in my main room since it is cross platform. Anyone with an android or IOS devices can stream to it and that is a definite leg up on the ATV.

I bought a lot of chromecast's for gifts this year...a lot better than spending $99 for an ATV. Basically if you have ATV there is not reason to replace it, but if you are in the market for a device I would recommend the chromecast over the ATV for the price.

Thank you! That's the kind of answer I was looking for. Maybe when they add more features I'll revisit the chromecast idea.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
With that ecosystem I would stick with the ATV's. Not only for current proprietary features like AirPlay etc but for things they may add in the future.

I think holding off until the chromecast offers a must have feature (for you) is your best bet. While it's only 30 bucks that "must have" feature may only be available on the next gen chrome cast.

Edit : oops see you have already arrived at that conclusion. Carry on

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
With that ecosystem I would stick with the ATV's. Not only for current proprietary features like AirPlay etc but for things they may add in the future.

I think holding off until the chromecast offers a must have feature (for you) is your best bet. While it's only 30 bucks that "must have" feature may only be available on the next gen chrome cast.

Edit : oops see you have already arrived at that conclusion. Carry on

Thank you. Yeah it probably is a better idea to wait for the next one.

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
is there an active 'hacking' or homebrew scene with Chromecast?

That would be the only reason to get one (I already own an ATV)

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Do you travel? It would be way more convenient to plug into a hotel TV than an Apple TV

Is this true? I thought there was a problem with connecting chromecasts to hotel wifi where you often need to enter password via a browser.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Chromecast is completely pointless if you already own the superior product Apple TV. I'd advise staying loyal to the platform and waiting to see what the next Apple TV will offer us.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Not to derail too much, but can you connect thru an iphone wifi tether connection? I never thought of traveling with a chromecast, but it makes so much sense.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I want to get a Chromecast to play with it. But I'm not sure at this point that a Chromecast could do anything for me or my family.

It was a better deal when they were new and they were offering 3 months of Netflix for free. It was $35, plus what basically amounted to a $24 Netflix credit.

Anyway, I use my Chromecast more than my AppleTV. I prefer the method of selecting using my phone and then "casting" it to the TV over using the Apple remote or the remote app to navagate through the menus on my TV.

Additionally, I subscribe to Google Play Music, so I use the Chromecast on a daily basis for streaming to my home stereo.

Finally, the Chromecast costs $35. Last time one of our Apple remotes was misplaced, I had to buy a new one at $20. For another $15 I could have bought a second Chromecast. The other damn remote never did show up...

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Ahh, thanks. :D Anyone else know, can you tether a Chromecast to your phone?

A quick google search says people are having success using an app called Foxfi, but is an android only app. out of the box it will not work with a mobile hotspot without other apps.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
A quick google search says people are having success using an app called Foxfi, but is an android only app. out of the box it will not work with a mobile hotspot without other apps.

That's terrible, I wonder why they would limit it like that. It seems like such an incredible selling point for those who travel.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
I use my chrome cast more then my Apple TV. I love that the GUI is on you phone and you don't have to navigate with a remote. Also when you set something to stream it stays streaming, my pet peev with my atv is that I will select something on the iPad to airplay, then be browsing reddit and click a YouTube link that will pause the atv. With the chrome cast it will continue to play regardless. It is a small thing but worth the price of addition for me.

Another thing the chrome cast does great is YouTube playlists. When you start casting you can quickly stack up a couple videos for the Que. was great for. A house party I had, it lined up a bunch of concert videos to play and had background music all night. I also subscribe to a ton of channels so just lining them up to play in a row is really convenient for me.

Now that plex is on chrome cast it is my entertainment go to. Everything automatically is indexed as soon as the torrents download, and then pipe flawlessly over to my chrome cast. I can even throw 8-9 gb blue ray rip mkv files at it with no stutter.

$35 is such chump change it is totally worth the impulse buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.