Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drainbammage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2013
I received my new 11 inch 2013 Macbook air a few days ago and when i charged it to 100% it only said 5 hours and 22 minutes of battery, isnt it suppose to have about 9 hours of battery? I have the screen on max brightness, keyboard backlight off and bluetooth off. And the OS is 10.8.4, is there a way to fix this or did i just get a defective unit?

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
I received my new 11 inch 2013 Macbook air a few days ago and when i charged it to 100% it only said 5 hours and 22 minutes of battery, isnt it suppose to have about 9 hours of battery? I have the screen on max brightness, keyboard backlight off and bluetooth off. And the OS is 10.8.4, is there a way to fix this or did i just get a defective unit?

Up to 9 hours. meaning having the screen brightness low, no keyboard backlight, wifi and bluetooth off, etc.

Robyr

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
It should not be halved. The people who keep saying its usage based obviously have no idea just how bad this can get on Mavericks. Same usage patterns under ML result in 11 hours easy. Seriously, my usage habits didn't change between an upgrade, people.

drainbammage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2013
It should not be halved. The people who keep saying its usage based obviously have no idea just how bad this can get on Mavericks. Same usage patterns under ML result in 11 hours easy. Seriously, my usage habits didn't change between an upgrade, people.

Do i have mavericks or mountain lion?

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
You have Mountain Lion. (10.8, 10.9 is Mavericks)

Shouldn't this laptop have come preinstalled with Mavericks? Did you buy it new or used?

Regardless, just go to the app store and install Mavericks. Can't guarantee it will solve your problem but it can't hurt, and you'll probably gain some battery life.

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
Shouldn't matter. I have an 11" MacBook Air (mid 2013) and the battery life isn't radically different between the two operating systems.

drainbammage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2013
You have Mountain Lion. (10.8, 10.9 is Mavericks)

Shouldn't this laptop have come preinstalled with Mavericks? Did you buy it new or used?

Regardless, just go to the app store and install Mavericks. Can't guarantee it will solve your problem but it can't hurt, and you'll probably gain some battery life.

Is there really that much of a difference? I really dont want to be downloading 5 gigs, since i only have 128gbs, plus arent people saying mavericks has considerable less battery life?

Jedi Master

macrumors regular
Click the apple upper left corner> about this> version if 10.8 update to 10.9.1

Is there really that much of a difference? I really dont want to be downloading 5 gigs, since i only have 128gbs, plus arent people saying mavericks has considerable less battery life?

Click :apple: upper left corner> about this> version if 10.8 update to 10.9.1

Period...........
:apple:
:apple:
GANGNAM STYLE

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Up to 9 hours. If you are running a bunch of stuff that uses the CPU, using the wireless or disk heavily, or have the brightness cranked, it's going to be substantially shorter.

drainbammage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2013
Up to 9 hours. If you are running a bunch of stuff that uses the CPU, using the wireless or disk heavily, or have the brightness cranked, it's going to be substantially shorter.

I got it a few days ago and all i use it for is internet browsing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.