Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
This is more of an annoyance and I was wondering if anyone runs into it. Whenever I send out mail, I always forgot to check which account it's going out from. I have several accounts, school, work, a couple personal ones, and personal freelance. Most of the time I remember but every now and then it slips past me. Anyone else do this?

I wish there was an option to set it to prompt you, after hitting send, which account you would like to send from.

Or maybe it's just a thing I can't seem to learn (and I can't, I've been using macs for a long time)

mrcodewizard

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2010
This is more of an annoyance and I was wondering if anyone runs into it. Whenever I send out mail, I always forgot to check which account it's going out from. I have several accounts, school, work, a couple personal ones, and personal freelance. Most of the time I remember but every now and then it slips past me. Anyone else do this?

I wish there was an option to set it to prompt you, after hitting send, which account you would like to send from.

Or maybe it's just a thing I can't seem to learn (and I can't, I've been using macs for a long time)

Mail defaults to whatever account Mail is currently “looking at.” You can test this by clicking on a message in say “Unread Mail,” then hitting COMMAND + N.

However, with multiple email accounts you should ALWAYS be double-checking to see which account the email is set for, and spelling, and grammar etc… It only takes one embarrassing email to ruin your life/month/week/day/marriage/Christmas/job prospects etc...

olegunnar

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2013
You can hack it by creating a broken SMTP server and have it be the default SMTP server.

Whenever you send a mail, Mail.app will then inform you that the mail server is broken and offer you a list, where you can select which you'd like to use instead.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Mail defaults to whatever account Mail is currently “looking at.” You can test this by clicking on a message in say “Unread Mail,” then hitting COMMAND + N.

However, with multiple email accounts you should ALWAYS be double-checking to see which account the email is set for, and spelling, and grammar etc… It only takes one embarrassing email to ruin your life/month/week/day/marriage/Christmas/job prospects etc...

Yes I try to stay diligent about it, but even at the most focused of times, I still seem to look past that little dropdown menu. I've been sending out a lot of cover letters lately, and recently sent one from my iCloud account, which I don't ever use, but forgot to switch. Really minor, but still annoying.

You can hack it by creating a broken SMTP server and have it be the default SMTP server.

Whenever you send a mail, Mail.app will then inform you that the mail server is broken and offer you a list, where you can select which you'd like to use instead.

Hmm yes, I suppose that could work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.