Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrasierCrane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2013
Seattle
Budgeted $10k, I'm looking at a solid 12 core, we'll see how much I can get with the extra $155 when the store is back up.

Javik

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2011
Australia
ron-paul.gif

sboerup

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
Octo - 32gb - 1TB - D500. $6799?

EDIT: Was pretty close on retail price, $100 less than the prediction. Thankfully I had an 8% corporate discount :)

tlxeWKF.png

Last edited:

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
I went with a base in 2008 and regretted it years down the road. I'm thinking I'm gonna go hex and be set for several years. Definitely gonna go 6 with a tb of flash.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I cant wait to see reviews I hope Apple seeded some review units and the NDA lifts today.

Trix10

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2011
You guys are making me feel poor!

I desperatly want one of these beasts, although i could probably only afford the bottom range one, and even then i'm thinking of using apples 0% finance offer to try and get it.

Anyone had any experience using their finance option? Any opinions on if the base model is good enough, or if theres something worth upgrading?

ZnU

macrumors regular
May 24, 2006
Leaning toward the 12-core — price is not that hard to justify for a post production facility. Just still thinking through whether we might get more bang for our buck buying two 6C systems and distributing some of our monster video transcoding tasks between them. It'll depend on the exact pricing of the various upgrade options.

D700 is a done deal either way if the price is anything close to what was reported on the front page — we've got some very GPU-centric workloads as well.

cinealta

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
...i'm thinking of using apples 0% finance offer to try and get it.

Don't finance a computer. It's a rapidly depreciating asset unlike a house or other investment. Paying interest on a depreciating asset is a double loss. Save your money and get the best you can afford.

ZnU

macrumors regular
May 24, 2006
Don't finance a computer. It's a rapidly depreciating asset unlike a house or other investment. Paying interest on a depreciating asset is a double loss. Save your money and get the best you can afford.

It's 0%, though. In a world where inflation exists, 0% financing is free money, since the dollars you're paying with toward the end of the loan are worth less than the dollars you'd have had to pay up front. (Note that I'm not actually familiar with the details of Apple's financing deals; there might be fees, etc. that eat up any such gains.)

motegi

macrumors regular
May 14, 2009
sydney.au
Why does it take so long? From a web development angle, the change in content would be pre-loaded and ready. It just needs to be set published and duplicate across their CDN.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008

By chance did you read the part of "0% finance offer" in the post?

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Why does it take so long? From a web development angle, the change in content would be pre-loaded and ready. It just needs to be set published and duplicate across their CDN.

Good question, do I need to keep refreshing the store page or will it come up when it's ready?

akrantz

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2008
It's 0%, though. In a world where inflation exists, 0% financing is free money, since the dollars you're paying with toward the end of the loan are worth less than the dollars you'd have had to pay up front. (Note that I'm not actually familiar with the details of Apple's financing deals; there might be fees, etc. that eat up any such gains.)

0% interest aside, you still have to weigh the interest against the money earned if you are using this in a professional environment. Takes money to make money as they say.

ZnU

macrumors regular
May 24, 2006

My guesses have always been:

a) There was, in the past, some legitimate technical reason they did things this way, and while there isn't anymore, it has become a sort of tradition. They've noticed how people respond to it and now deliberately use it to build anticipation.

or

b) It's another manifestation of Apple's obsession with secrecy — to help prevent accidental premature reveals, they refuse to allow anything to be staged on production servers until go time.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I want the 1TB storage. Outside of that, I might upgrade the video card to max one. Not going to upgrade the RAM, will do that later down the road. I read that the upgraded video card will require a 6 core at least.

Want to try to keep it under $5,000.

----------

My guesses have always been:

a) There was, in the past, some legitimate technical reason they did things this way, and while there isn't anymore, it has become a sort of tradition. They've noticed how people respond to it and now deliberately use it to build anticipation.

or

b) It's another manifestation of Apple's obsession with secrecy — to help prevent accidental premature reveals, they refuse to allow anything to be staged on production servers until go time.

My guess is A. I would be shocked if they didn't have a staging environment. Even if its limited access to only a dozen people. Most of that stuff requirements multiple levels of approval.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
0% interest aside, you still have to weigh the interest against the money earned if you are using this in a professional environment. Takes money to make money as they say.

Have you guys ever opened a new new credit card before? The deal is 0% interest for at least 12 months. Meaning if you pay off the full amount within that time (while at the same time not missing any monthly minimum payments), then you won't pay a single dime to the credit card company. If it was a rewards card, then you'd even reap some pocket money as profit.

I've opened several credit cards with great introductory offers before and as long as you follow the rules, you can very much benefit from smart financing. Zero interest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.