Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
So I don't know what to get my mother for Christmas. I already got her the original Kindle Fire 2 years ago. Is it worth it to get her the new HDX? Will she notice a major difference? I don't want to get her something that's basically the same as what she already has. Would going for the 8" make a huge difference?

I'm probably going to pick this up today.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I think there would be a huge difference. The screen on the HDX would be a vast improvement from the original Fire. In addition, the sound on the HDX is way better than on the original. If your mom watches movies a lot, then I think it would be a great gift.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
It would definitely be an upgrade but it depends on whether or not it would be worth it. Would she even care? Does the original do what she needs?

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
It is a massive upgrade in every way with the HDX. The difference in the screen and overall speed is pretty incredible when comparing the two.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
So I ended up getting her a 32gb 7" HDX. Hopefully the size, speed, and screen make a big enough difference.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
So I ended up getting her a 32gb 7" HDX. Hopefully the size, speed, and screen make a big enough difference.

Chances are she'll love it. We got a fire for my sister last year and she loves it. Also got one for my mom but she handed it off to her mom after we got her an iPad. Fires are great starter tablets for basic needs users. All they're used for is reading, music, very light app usage and email for the most part.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Will she just be able to sign in the new Kindle and it brings everything from the old Kindle? Or will I still need to setup some settings for her, like email?

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
The HDX is a very noticeable upgrade in both speed and the O.S. which has a few upgrades of it's own. I have a 7" HDX and a 8.9" HD and while the HD is really good especially for the $ 219.00 I paid for it I really only use it for renting and watching movies anymore.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
So I don't know what to get my mother for Christmas. I already got her the original Kindle Fire 2 years ago. Is it worth it to get her the new HDX? Will she notice a major difference? I don't want to get her something that's basically the same as what she already has. Would going for the 8" make a huge difference?

I'm probably going to pick this up today.

I just got the HDX today and I am extremely impressed with the screen. Reading on this is a joy and the fluidity and overall performance is very impressive. I honestly didn't think I would like it as much as I do. It's also extremely light and thin. I would definitely recommend this for your mom over the two year old model.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
So my mother loved it compared to the original Kindle. I can't believe how dim the original was and the fact that it didn't have volume buttons. Everything about the Fire HDX is a HUGE upgrade. I wish I bought my Nexus 7(2013) over at the time to compare screens.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
So my mother loved it compared to the original Kindle. I can't believe how dim the original was and the fact that it didn't have volume buttons. Everything about the Fire HDX is a HUGE upgrade. I wish I bought my Nexus 7(2013) over at the time to compare screens.

Ya amazon did a great job with this new generation, the HDX. Glad to hear that she enjoys it and is impressed with it compared to her first gen kindle fire.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Ya amazon did a great job with this new generation, the HDX. Glad to hear that she enjoys it and is impressed with it compared to her first gen kindle fire.

You know the first thing I did was tell her to press the Mayday button. It worked pretty good, and they were fast. Only about a 15 sec wait until someone connected. Only downside is, we didn't see the person. It was a Christmas thumbnail instead of a live video. Since it was Christmas, I'm thinking he must have been working from home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.