Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Murl

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
I'm trying to put my copy of Iron Man 3 on my iPad for the plane ride tomorrow with handbrake and having quite a bit of trouble. I read on another website to use the DVD player built into OSX and play the disk and see which Title it is under while playing. I went to "Go" then "Title" and its under 46. When I try to open it in handbrake under Title specific and type 46 it says "No valid source found." Any ideas?

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
The disc probably has strong copy protection on it. There are tools that strip the copy protection scheme from commercial DVDs. I don't know where you are located, but the legality of these tools is questionable in some areas.

Anyhow, one well-known tool is called MacTheRipper. You'll have to find it yourself on the Internet, I can't point you to a specific source.

Use MacTheRipper to copy the commercial DVD to your hard drive, then rip using Handbrake. It's possible that some of the newer DVDs have better copy protection that even MacTheRipper can't handle at this time.

Good luck.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
use makemkv and then run the .mkv file that makemkv produces through handbrake to get a mp4 or m4v file. Makemkv is a free download and legal to use.

gary9872

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2014
My Linux method: tested and works.

xine://dvd -- > find what track it plays (probably track 46)

mplayer dvd://46 -dumpstream

then encode with handbrake.

---------------------------------------------------

I sure you can figure this out for MAC OS

-------------------------------------------------

Cheers,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.