Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Dec 19, 2013, 03:29 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Releases Software Update for VPN Issues on Mavericks Server

Apple today released VPN Update for Mavericks Server, addressing an issue with certain L2TP VPN connections.
Quote:
This update fixes an issue that could prevent L2TP VPN connections from working with OS X Server, as described in http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5313

This update requires OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 and Server 3.0.1.

Note: the update will only install if you have already launched Server app and used it to set up services.
The issue has been a major problem for a number of users, as reflected by over two-thirds of reviewers giving the 3.0.1 version of OS X Server a one-star rating in the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Releases Software Update for VPN Issues on Mavericks Server
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 03:35 PM   #2
stukdog
macrumors 6502

Looks like Apple's way of doing the racoon workaround. Nice.
stukdog is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 03:40 PM   #3
theelysium
macrumors 6502

How about addressing the VPN issue with OS 10.9 and ARD, ARD can't stay connected longer than 30 seconds over VPN and Mavericks causes your VPN to reconnect over and over.
theelysium is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 03:57 PM   #4
nzalog
macrumors regular

Thank god! This update is so late...
nzalog is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 04:22 PM   #5
stukdog
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzalog View Post
Thank god! This update is so late...
We're doing some testing already and this update doesn't seem to fix much...standby...
Old Dec 19, 2013, 05:01 PM   #6
Maltz
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stukdog View Post
We're doing some testing already and this update doesn't seem to fix much...standby...
Yeah, I can't test very thoroughly yet, but it doesn't seem to have fixed anything for me. I suppose it's worth noting that the just-released-to-developers 10.9.2 update also says it include fixes for VPN issues. Maybe this is only half of the fix? Still, VERY frustrating.
Maltz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 05:37 PM   #7
nzalog
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stukdog View Post
oh damnit... well it's on a VM so if it doesn't work I can roll right back to the snapshot.
nzalog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 06:23 PM   #8
Voch
macrumors member

Works for me...

Works for me. Looks like it replaced /usr/sbin/racoon (the file on my machine is dated today). I was using the /usr/sbin/racoon workaround so I rebooted just to make sure it was using the new one.
Voch is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 06:37 PM   #9
nzalog
macrumors regular

Just finished updating my VM to mavericks with server 3.0.1. One thing to note, the update is just a separate update but everything seems to be working. In fact I bleieve VPN is now actually more reliable than in Mountain Lion. Don't get random "authentication failed" when connecting and it might be in my head but it seems to connect faster.

Last edited by nzalog; Dec 19, 2013 at 06:42 PM.
nzalog is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 08:12 PM   #10
ZOZO
Banned

About time. I fixed it awhile ago by replacing the racoon binary with the one from mountain lion, but it's nice to have the updated version. I'd assume it's more secure, as that's its purpose.
ZOZO is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 09:59 PM   #11
Westside guy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by theelysium View Post
How about addressing the VPN issue with OS 10.9 and ARD, ARD can't stay connected longer than 30 seconds over VPN and Mavericks causes your VPN to reconnect over and over.
So I'm not the only one experiencing that...

Apple Remote Desktop took a huge step back with Mavericks - it's no better than stock VNC now, quality-wise. And since the last update (which purportedly only affected Mail) my connections last about 30 seconds and then stop working. Nothing's changed with my OpenVPN server during that period.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 11:09 AM   #12
cmanderson
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to cmanderson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voch View Post
Works for me. Looks like it replaced /usr/sbin/racoon (the file on my machine is dated today). I was using the /usr/sbin/racoon workaround so I rebooted just to make sure it was using the new one.
I had the racoon workaround, updated to 10.9.1 which broke VPN, then this update comes out and it's back to working again.
cmanderson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2013, 12:20 PM   #13
stukdog
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voch View Post
Yes, we've reached the same conclusion (and updated our tutorial on it.) Nice to have an official fix.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 03:39 PM   #14
nzalog
macrumors regular

Bleh... well I did get a "authentication failed" today even after the update. Oh well as long as it works.

One cool thing I did find was an automator service script that lets me trigger my VPN client with a hot key. Makes reconnecting less of a nuisance.

If anyone is interested...

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7...rtcut-in-os-x/
Last edited by nzalog; Yesterday at 04:42 PM.
nzalog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2013, 04:39 PM   #15
TXAppleUser
macrumors newbie

Works for me. IT'S ABOUT TIME! That PPTP work-around with setting up open directory was terrible. I'm glad Apple finally fixed the issue.
TXAppleUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:57 PM   #16
Maltz
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltz View Post
Yeah, I can't test very thoroughly yet, but it doesn't seem to have fixed anything for me. I suppose it's worth noting that the just-released-to-developers 10.9.2 update also says it include fixes for VPN issues. Maybe this is only half of the fix? Still, VERY frustrating.
Update: The update itself didn't fix the problems I was having, but I've since uninstalled and reinstalled the server app, and all is now well. Finally.
Maltz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2013, 09:25 AM   #17
RMo
macrumors 6502a

I get an "authentication failed" message about 1/3 of the time when connecting, but it (usually) works fine if I try it again seconds later with the same username, password, and shared secret.

I see a couple other people above are having this problem, as well. But this is an improvement, isn't it? I thought before it apparently couldn't even connect to the L2TP server, like the machine wasn't even running one--now it at least can, even though it seems to randomly reject the authentication at times.

Hopefully they'll fix this remaining problem soon.
RMo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 07:43 PM   #18
jmstacey
macrumors newbie

Here's a modified version of Apple's installer that bypasses the check for the Server.app: http://jonsview.com/wp-content/uploa...pLess.pkg_.zip

Hopefully Apple rolls this fix into the next maintenance release proper.
jmstacey is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion