Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrPeripatetic

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
I am college lecturer. Much of my workflow consists of note taking, and lecture creation and delivery. I have been using the iPad to accomplish both of these for several years. My search for the ultimate app (or combination of apps) has reached a new high recently when I discovered what I now consider to be the best of the note taking apps. That app is ZoomNotes.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/zoomnotes-note-take-sketch/id462234530?mt=8

I have used all of the following note taking apps. These are ranked from best to worst:

ZoomNotes
Goodnotes (just upgraded to 4.0; requires a new purchase)
Notes Plus
Noteshelf
DocAS
Notability
Note Anytime
Note Taker HD
Ink
Upad

ZoomNotes has nearly everything (at least everything important) that Goodnotes has, including excellent inking. But it's not simply a clone of Goodnotes. It has many more useful features not found in Goodnotes (nor in any of its other competitors that I am aware of). To name but two of these handy tools: sub-documents (that is, complete documents within documents), and bookmark presentations.

ZoomNotes is universal and uses iCloud syncing. It has a folder system to organize all your documents. There is a shape/mind-map function, which is really handy for lecturing. ZoomNotes will present your screen without the user interface over AppleTV or the VGA adaptor. It's got really stellar stylus support. And I understand that the developer is working on (or at least considering) an OS X companion app.

Above all, the developer seems really committed to improving ZoomNotes. He updates quite frequently.

The bottom line for me is that I have finally found the note taking and presentating app that I've been seeking for the last few years. Check it out.

schrempws

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2013
The user interface in this app looks clear.
And the function appeals to me.
Thank you for recommendation.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.