Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Indydenny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
Midwest
Welcome to this week's photo contest thread.

I know that not everyone celebrates Christmas, but it is Christmas week so we will make it somewhat general.

The theme is JOY. Interpret it how you will.

Rules:
You may only submit one photo per contest.

Please do not comment or use voting button on photos until after the judging has taken place.

The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision).

The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme).

To see all of our past contests please see the sticky thread

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
My wife was unnaturally happy at finding a sparkly robin for our Christmas tree.

11154488886_e8e4b2edd7_b.jpg

Indydenny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
Midwest
OK. Thanks for participating! The combination of Christmas week and the "joy" theme, made this one difficult.

I don't feel qualified to be the judge, but here goes my humble opinions:

MacRy -- Love the facial expression, the background, DOF, and color. Fits the topic well. This doesn't look posed, even if it was!

Deep Diver -- Excellent! What a great expression. Amazed at the clarity of this shot and really like the background haze. (I like all of your photos!)

jodelli -- That looks joyful. I would like this better if it were cropped around the group on the left, straightened a bit, and just a little deeper color.

fireman32 -- Love the reds in this photo and the model's expression. The background is a bit distracting, and I think she is more surprised than joyful.

Astroboy907 -- Looks like a scene from Forrest Gump! Nicely taken. Very nice detail on the enlarged photo. I would certainly be joyful if that were me!

Melizard -- This works well as a B&W. Love the little girl's smile and her hands. Also the "grip" of the baby is cute. Clever pose and excellent shot. She looks like a very happy big sister.

Illuminated -- Crowd certainly looks joyful. Like the lighting over the artist. The background (back/right) is distracting to me.

Acearchie -- Lots of nice expressions and good group shot. So hard to get everyone to be ready! Tighter cropping would work better for me, I think, and a really good focal point. Not sure where to look. There are some joyful faces though.

Apple fanboy -- Nice photo and very creative! But even though it gives you joy to take them, and me joy to view them, I'm not sure that it qualifies for the theme! ;-)

needfx -- very clever comparison with the movie. However, it looks like me when I try to string lights, and I'm not usually joyful at this moment. ;-) Maybe the whole face, with a smile would have helped?

The Beyond -- Not really sure what to say here. I guess some people find a measure of joy in this, but not something that MacRumors Forums wants to promote, I imagine.

AlexH -- Wonderful shot! The model is lovely and the focus is excellent on the subjects. Love the bokeh effect in the background. This photo would win many contests with the right theme, but not sure I can include "joy" as one of them. Nicely done, though.

Razeus -- Lovely smiles and I like B&W. The background is confusing to me. Might be better if the subjects were not cut off, and only the garage doors showed behind them?

WINNERS

3rd -- Deep Diver
2nd -- MacRy
1st -- Melizard

It is up to you, MELIZARD, to begin a new contest. Thanks everyone!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well done to the winners. I agree with your winner Indydenny, and despite your comments regarding not feeling qualified to judge, your comments are spot on. Looking forward to the next one.

The Beyond

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2013
I didn't mean to promote drugs or offend anyone. I imagined most of you would be aware of the film and probably like it too. Humour is good for you.
Happy holidays & congratulations to the winners!

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Congrats Melissa, a deserved winner for an excellent shot.

Thanks for the in depth judging Indydenny. Mine wasn't posed - she really was that excited about finding the sparkly robin....it's why I love her so :)

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Thanks for the judging and the comments, Indydenny. I was very lucky to get this shot. He really was shaking the package to hear what was inside. He hates being photographed, so I was lucky to get this shot.

Melizard, I LOVE this image. I am usually not a fan of this kind of pose, but yours works for me. When I saw it, I knew it was the winner.

Indydenny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
Midwest
I didn't mean to promote drugs or offend anyone. I imagined most of you would be aware of the film and probably like it too. Humour is good for you.
Happy holidays & congratulations to the winners!

No offense taken! And I haven't seen the movie, so that might have given me the context I needed. Thanks for posting!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.