Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:15 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Weak iPhone 5c Demand May Be Slowing China Mobile iPhone Deal

With China Mobile, the world's largest carrier, having launched its new 4G LTE network without announcing an iPhone deal, questions have arisen about why an agreement has not yet been reached after many years of negotiations and evidence indicating that the necessary hardware is available and approved for sale.

According to a new report from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, the deal may have been slowed by the unexpectedly weak demand for the iPhone 5c relative to the iPhone 5s among China Mobile customers. According to Kuo's survey numbers, interest in the iPhone 5c from China Mobile customers has fallen precipitously from earlier expectations while iPhone 5s interest has remained high, and that unexpected mix of customer preference may be leading China Mobile and Apple to a renegotiation of an agreement that was nearly settled.
Quote:
While previously we estimated that Apple originally planned the TD-LTE version would account for 30% of total iPhone 5C shipments, our latest survey indicates that demand for the TD-LTE iPhone 5C has declined dramatically due to 5S being far more popular than 5C among China Mobile subscribers. As such, we estimate iPhone 5C shipments of the TD-LTE version for China Mobile at 1.0-1.5mn units in 4Q13 and under 1.0mn units in 1Q14, well below Apple's original production plan.

We believe this would necessitate a re-negotiation of the Apple-China Mobile deal and therefore defer its finalization.
Kuo also remains conservative in his predictions of the impact of a China Mobile deal on Apple's iPhone shipment numbers for the first quarter of 2014, believing that the launch of the new TD-LTE model for China Mobile will be offset by falling sales in other markets around the world as momentum slows in the months following the iPhone 5s and 5c launches in those countries.

Article Link: Weak iPhone 5c Demand May Be Slowing China Mobile iPhone Deal
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:21 PM   #2
iomar
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to iomar
I think right from the beginning Apple could have done better than iPhone 5c. They really have to rethink iPhone 5c the design of iPhone 5c. Other colors are good and I got one for my son who loves his green color iPhone but still it seems it can be better and more attractive.

http://www.bjjproducts.com
iomar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:21 PM   #3
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

Quote:
According to Kuo's survey numbers, interest in the iPhone 5c from China Mobile customers has fallen precipitously from earlier expectations while iPhone 5s interest has remained high, and that unexpected mix of customer preference may be leading China Mobile and Apple to a renegotiation of an agreement that was nearly settled.
ouch, this could be the end for "C" version imo.
but why would China Mobile want to renegotiate, just launch the 5S forget about 5C
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:32 PM   #4
512ke
macrumors 6502

The 5C is selling well in the US and in every other market in the world.

This is not why the CM deal hasn't been announced yet.

And declining 5s sales next quarter? Look at the usual sales curve of Apple phones in the quarters following release.

The 5S will follow the pattern. Except it will sell way more than the 5.

So says 512ke lol.
512ke is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:33 PM   #5
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Why does anyone believe a single word Kuo says?
Technarchy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:35 PM   #6
bmunge
macrumors regular

Apple needs to eat a price drop on the 5c at this point. Their focus with the c model should not be immediate profitability but getting people onto the platform. Once they sell those users on the Apple brand with the iPhone experience, they will be able to better market their premium products to them. Also they increase their user base for the App Store and all the other Apple services. Just IMHO...
bmunge is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:36 PM   #7
Klae17
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
Why does anyone believe a single word Kuo says?
Because he has been right many times and has access to better information than you do.
Klae17 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:39 PM   #8
WhoDaKat
macrumors regular

Maybe I'm an idiot, but 5C or 5S, whats it matter to CM? Either way they get a customer, right?
WhoDaKat is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:45 PM   #9
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
the deal may have been slowed by the unexpectedly weak demand for the iPhone 5c relative to the iPhone 5s
Why does the 5s/5c ratio matter again?
Don't these guys want customers no matter the specific iPhone model?
pgiguere1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:50 PM   #10
Plutonius
macrumors 68040

China knows Apple really needs the deal so they are pressuring Apple for more concessions.
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:55 PM   #11
Rogifan
macrumors 604

So Ming-Chi Kuo is speculating based on some survey he did. How is that newsworthy? I swear this guy takes a leak and the rumor sites run it on their front page as news.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:59 PM   #12
Millah
macrumors 6502a

Oh boy, what a tough predicament to have when demand for your top of the line premium priced model far exceeds demand for the midrange model

Only for Apple could this be spun into negative speculation. Other phone makers have to practically give their phones away, and yet with Apple people want the premium top of the line, and in vast numbers.

I think just about anyone would kill to get in that "predicament"

I think that also underscores just what the Apple brand means. It means premium. This is why Apple doesn't offer dirt cheap phones. Not only just because it damages the allure and prestige of the Apple brand, but also because the customer base isn't demanding anything less than the premium. Lowering price doesn't necessarily change that, it could have a very negative effect on the brand. Lamborghini no longer has a mystique and prestige as soon as they start selling $30k sedan.
Millah is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 11:07 PM   #13
Red Oak
macrumors member

This analyst was completely wrong 6 weeks ago predicting the iPad mini would be delayed and that Apple would not be capable of meeting demand

And look at the situation now

He's becoming frequently wrong in his predictions
Red Oak is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 11:23 PM   #14
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klae17 View Post
Because he has been right many times and has access to better information than you do.
Right about what?
Technarchy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 11:33 PM   #15
dannyyankou
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
Right about what?
For starters- http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/23/...iphone-launch/

Also- http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/24/...ember-october/

And- http://www.macrumors.com/2012/04/23/...h-macbook-pro/

Another one- http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/19/...s-to-continue/

Convinced yet?
dannyyankou is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 11:38 PM   #16
Nevaborn
macrumors 6502a

This isnt news. This is some guy thinks something.

Like others have said, the iphone 5C is selling respectably elsewhere. Theres other factors here but some clueless so called analysts want a bit of press time so make sensationalist claims.
Nevaborn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 11:44 PM   #17
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

If I cared enough to make the effort of looking, there are probably dozens of posts on this forum from people saying the exact same thing.

Here's a prediction, Apple will release iphone 6 next year and it will sell out and be in high demand...I'll bump this in a year and I'm saying it way before Kuo. Call me Nostradamus.
Technarchy is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2013, 12:05 AM   #18
lolkthxbai
macrumors 6502a

CM knows this deal is very important to Apple. IMO, CM is just putting pressure on Apple to revise it's terms and blaming it in "weak demand". Wasn't the iPhone 5c expected to do very well in the Asian market...?
lolkthxbai is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2013, 12:46 AM   #19
joemod
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiguere1 View Post
Why does the 5s/5c ratio matter again?
Don't these guys want customers no matter the specific iPhone model?
Because I think that carriers are required to order (and pay I guess) a specific number of phones. If the projected number of sales is lower than the cost of the purchase then there is no reason to order.
joemod is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2013, 01:08 AM   #20
Asuriyan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemod View Post
Because I think that carriers are required to order (and pay I guess) a specific number of phones. If the projected number of sales is lower than the cost of the purchase then there is no reason to order.
And here we have the first real explanation in this entire thread. (Appreciate it.)
Asuriyan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2013, 02:14 AM   #21
Pagemakers
macrumors 6502a

I or any of my mates are yet to see a single 5c in use outside of an Apple store I genuinely haven't seen a single one.

I regularly walk past a huge Apple store in the UK and almost always the 5c desk is empty of customers.

Maybe Apple are insisting that they take the entire range and they don't want the 5c?
Pagemakers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2013, 02:51 AM   #22
virginblue4
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagemakers View Post
I or any of my mates are yet to see a single 5c in use outside of an Apple store I genuinely haven't seen a single one.

I regularly walk past a huge Apple store in the UK and almost always the 5c desk is empty of customers.

Maybe Apple are insisting that they take the entire range and they don't want the 5c?
As someone who commutes daily by train, I have say many more 5c than 5s.

iPhone 5S, gold, iOS 7.1
iPad mini with Retina display, silver, iOS 7.1
Late 2012 27" iMac - 3.4GHz i7, 1TB Fusion, 24GB RAM, 680MX 2GB
virginblue4 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2013, 02:53 AM   #23
Pagemakers
macrumors 6502a

So you see many more 5C than 5S?

Seriously or is that an exaggeration?
Old Dec 20, 2013, 03:01 AM   #24
nexusrule
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaKat View Post
Maybe I'm an idiot, but 5C or 5S, whats it matter to CM? Either way they get a customer, right?
If you have a deal to buy X items of model A at 100$ and XXX sales of model B at 50$ and the you discover people want XXX of model A and X of model B obviously your deal has to be ridiscussed. Apple surely doesn't want' to manufacture millions of iPhone C that knows will stay on the shelves and there is no doubt CM doesn't want to buy it, right? Especially if they can manufacture and sell millions of iPhone 5S that people will buy.
nexusrule is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2013, 03:27 AM   #25
TC03
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iomar View Post
I think right from the beginning Apple could have done better than iPhone 5c. They really have to rethink iPhone 5c the design of iPhone 5c. Other colors are good and I got one for my son who loves his green color iPhone but still it seems it can be better and more attractive.
It should be cheaper, that's it.

I suggest for Apple do this next year:
1. Make it as cheap as the 4S ($0 on contract or $399 unlocked).
2. Upgrade the A6 to A7 (to speed up the transition to 64-bit).

That would make a killer phone at a good price without cannibalizing the 5S or 6 (those will have Touch ID, better cameras, aluminium bodies and possibly bigger screens).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginblue4 View Post
As someone who commutes daily by train, I have say many more 5c than 5s.
I've yet to see the first 5C or 5S in public tbh.
TC03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion