Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:13 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

An Inside Look at Google's Reaction to the Original iPhone Introduction

Last month, longtime technology journalist Fred Vogelstein released his new book Dogfight: How Apple and Google Went to War and Started a Revolution, offering an inside look at the development of both the iPhone and Android ecosystems. An excerpt from the book sharing a behind-the-scenes look at the original iPhone introduction had been published in October, and a newly released excerpt from The Atlantic is now gaining attention for its description of Google's reaction to the iPhone unveiling in January 2007.

Among the most quotable bits comes from former Google engineer Chris DeSalvo, who related his reaction to seeing the iPhone shown for the first time. At the time, Google had been working on its "Sooner" reference device for Android, and it was clear that the iPhone represented a significant departure from that concept.
Quote:
Chris DeSalvo's reaction to the iPhone was immediate and visceral. "As a consumer I was blown away. I wanted one immediately. But as a Google engineer, I thought 'We're going to have to start over.'" [...]

"What we had suddenly looked just so . . . nineties," DeSalvo said. "It's just one of those things that are obvious when you see it."
Google Sooner (Source: Steven Troughton-Smith)
Android chief Andy Rubin reportedly had a similar reaction:
Quote:
On the day Jobs announced the iPhone, the director of the Android team, Andy Rubin, was six hundred miles away in Las Vegas, on his way to a meeting with one of the myriad handset makers and carriers that descend on the city for the Consumer Electronics Show. He reacted exactly as DeSalvo predicted. Rubin was so astonished by what Jobs was unveiling that, on his way to a meeting, he had his driver pull over so that he could finish watching the webcast.

"Holy crap," he said to one of his colleagues in the car. "I guess we're not going to ship that phone."
Not all of those close to the Android development process remember the history in that same way, as OS News points back to a 2012 comment from longtime Android engineer Dianne Hackborn claiming that the "Sooner" concept had already been dropped prior to the iPhone introduction. According to Hackborn, Sooner did, however, continue to be used for software development purposes for its stability relative to the "Dream" touchscreen concept that was also under development.
Quote:
From a software perspective, Sooner and Dream were basically the same -- different form-factors, one without a touch screen -- but they were not so different as this article indicates and the switch between them was not such a huge upheaval. [...]

I don't recall the exact dates, but I believe the decision to drop Sooner was well before the iPhone announcement... though we continued to use it for quite a while internally for development, since it was the only semi-stable hardware platform we had. If nothing else, it helped remove significant risk from the schedule since software development could be done on a relatively stable device while the systems team brought up the new hardware in parallel.
The differences in recollections may hinge to some degree on whether the subjects related more to the hardware or software aspects of the iPhone and Android. As Vogelstein notes, Android itself remained an ambitious attempt to bring multi-tasking access to Google's services and other apps to any device, as opposed to Apple's locked-down iPhone hardware-software combination. So while those comparing the iPhone's hardware to Google's Sooner work immediately saw that Apple was changing the game, those focused more on the platform still saw that Android had the flexibility to adapt to the future of hardware.

Article Link: An Inside Look at Google's Reaction to the Original iPhone Introduction
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:16 AM   #2
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Yes, even now as an Android user, I am still wowed by what Apple introduced. It was what even most ultra-geeks wanted in a device. One to rule them all.

At the time it connected and made simple so much technology that it was indeed magical.

It was like Palm OS done Apple style with none of the archaic UI elements that made you want to cry.

Nowadays however . . . . . . . . . . .
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:16 AM   #3
Traverse
macrumors 6502

Android is a fine OS, but no one can deny that the original iPhone was truly an innovative device and I mean that in the traditional sense of "innovative".

Today, companies through the word "innovative" around constantly to describe incremental improvements. In truth, innovative should me a major change, something that creates an entire new class or fundamentally changes the way we accomplish things. The original iPhone started that, it was innovative.
Traverse is offline   30 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:17 AM   #4
Tubamajuba
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Skunk View Post
Yes, even now as an Android user, I am still wowed by what Apple introduced. It was what even most ultra-geeks wanted in a device. One to rule them all.

At the time it connected and made simple so much technology that it was indeed magical.

Nowadays, it is still an excellent phone.
Tubamajuba is offline   58 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:19 AM   #5
John.B
macrumors 68030

LOL!
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:20 AM   #6
CBJammin103
macrumors regular

It's interesting that the iPhone was so ground breaking and cutting edge (in terms of UI and UX) that it was able to sell unsubsidized for many hundreds of $USD. That had never happened on a mass scale and that would certainly not happen today... it may prove to be the one time in mobile history that such a model could succeed.

It's already interesting just how utterly secret they managed to keep all of the details - something else that seems impossible today.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:20 AM   #7
abhishake
macrumors regular

Apple has changed the world.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:21 AM   #8
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

I've personally never witnessed a technological revolution as massive and momentous as the I first iPhone. Many years would have passed before anyone else came close to the design, engineering, and experience of the hardware and software. I remember playing with it for the first time, and knowing I had never been so delighted and amazed by a piece of technology.

Nobody, not even the most firm Android proponents can deny that the iPhone changed the way we see computers, at least mobile ones. Its influence can be found in every crevice of the marketplace.
zbarvian is offline   38 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:22 AM   #9
Ventilatedbrain
macrumors regular

Quote:

It was like Palm OS done Apple style with none of the archaic UI elements that made you want to cry.

Nowadays it's even better .. Don't underestimate the power of revolution , smartphones today have practically changed the world .. The iPhone or any phone today has a lot more computing power than the computers used to land on the moon on the first trip .. Which says a lot about intelligence of people these days
Ventilatedbrain is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:22 AM   #10
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubamajuba View Post
Nowadays, it is still an excellent phone.
That is correct. Excellent is the perfect word for it.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:23 AM   #11
alent1234
macrumors 603

google didn't start over
the GUI is still a rip off the blackberry
alent1234 is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:25 AM   #12
Stella
macrumors 603

Obviously, a flame bait story - I shall be enjoying the entertainment with my pop corn at the ready.

Seriously, who gives a crap. Every company gains inspiration / copy each other. Including Apple - look at the similarity between old Braun products and Apple products.

http://blog.pekpongpaet.com/2010/02/...apple-does-it/
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:25 AM   #13
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post
google didn't start over
the GUI is still a rip off the blackberry
That doesn't say much for iOS 6 and 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella View Post
Obviously, a flame bait story.

Seriously, who gives a crap. Every company copies each other. Including Apple.
Agreed!

There really should be more Mac Pro news.

Sorry, that was off topic.

Last edited by Digital Skunk; Dec 20, 2013 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Removed off topic comment
Digital Skunk is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:28 AM   #14
krravi
macrumors 6502a

As a long time iPhone user and having dabbled in a couple of Androids recently.. (just got an Gold iPhone 5S, btw).. I am going to buy this book.

Would be interesting to see what transpired to bring these wonderful devices to the consumers hands....
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:28 AM   #15
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Quote:
That doesn't say much for iOS 6 and 7.

Agreed!

There really should be more Mac Pro news. I want to see benchmarks, and real world use videos. Running 16 simultaneous streams of 4k in Final Cut is cute, but how will this mini-tower play with the hose of periphs Apple expects you to plug into it?

Sorry, that was off topic.
Um since people just got these machines wouldn't you rather wait for more thorough tests? Has anyone had enough time to properly put it through its paces?
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:29 AM   #16
bushido
macrumors 601

well im glad im open minded enough to except both on the market imagine a world with only apple being allowed to make touch screen smartphones. we still wouldnt have copy & paste and still rock that tiny tamagochi screen and lots of lame keyboard devices
bushido is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:31 AM   #17
John.B
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJammin103 View Post
It's interesting that the iPhone was so ground breaking and cutting edge (in terms of UI and UX) that it was able to sell unsubsidized for many hundreds of $USD. That had never happened on a mass scale and that would certainly not happen today... it may prove to be the one time in mobile history that such a model could succeed.
What are you on about? Lots of people are purchasing the unsubsidized 5S. In fact, it's the only way to buy a smartphone on T-Mobile today, and AT&T's CEO made some comments recently that they may have to follow suit.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:33 AM   #18
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Um since people just got these machines wouldn't you rather wait for more thorough tests? Has anyone had enough time to properly put it through its paces?
Yes, the unboxing videos happened like, yesterday.

It doesn't take more than 20 hours to get a Geekbench score.

I'll be removing my comment though, because I don't want the bait thread to go off topic.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:35 AM   #19
grrrz
macrumors member

wait..
so if apple never released the iphone, then android phones would have been good old blackberry like phone, with a physical keyboard, a "call" button, and not one of those crappy touchscreen phone we've got everywhere?
well *****
grrrz is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:36 AM   #20
yossi
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
I've personally never witnessed a technological revolution as massive and momentous as the I first iPhone. Many years would have passed before anyone else came close to the design, engineering, and experience of the hardware and software. I remember playing with it for the first time, and knowing I had never been so delighted and amazed by a piece of technology.

Nobody, not even the most firm Android proponents can deny that the iPhone changed the way we see computers, at least mobile ones. Its influence can be found in every crevice of the marketplace.
And they will do something similar with the TV, despite the naysayers. I don't know how and I don't know when, but apple will revolutionize the TV or TV watching experience and it will be just as out of left field as the original iPhone.
yossi is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:37 AM   #21
MacTCE
macrumors member

There's no denying it that Apple changed smartphones forever. It was also a good thing that Google was smart enough to realize it unlike some other companies. (*cough* BlackBerry *cough*)
MacTCE is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:39 AM   #22
iZac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
What are you on about? Lots of people are purchasing the unsubsidized 5S. In fact, it's the only way to buy a smartphone on T-Mobile today, and AT&T's CEO made some comments recently that they may have to follow suit.
Apple were instrumental in getting the general public to accept that mobile phone business model though. They wanted control over the price points and presumably didn't want to fight AT&T over subsidies and profit sharing agreements. So much so that T Mobile now base their entire business model on transparently informing the customer of the true price of the handset.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:40 AM   #23
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossi View Post
And they will do something similar with the TV, despite the naysayers. I don't know how and I don't know when, but apple will revolutionize the TV or TV watching experience and it will be just as out of left field as the original iPhone.
They certainly do have the content streams. Personally, I hope Apple sticks with making computers and supporting peripherals. Outside of making a smart TV that costs twice as much as the competing smart TV yet does half as much but still has that something that some folks want, I don't see Apple gaining much ground in a market that doesn't have much room to grow.

Now, if they decided to branch out into some new untapped TV-like market that no one expected, then they'd be doing something like the OG Apple of yore.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:43 AM   #24
macnerd93
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

LOL!
HA HA that picture is too funny.

Last edited by macnerd93; Dec 20, 2013 at 01:54 PM.
macnerd93 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:45 AM   #25
caliguy
macrumors regular

The first time I saw the "full web" on an iPhone, THAT was cool.
caliguy is offline   15 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion