Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 23, 2005, 02:27 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Apple launches a Mac Mini mod site




Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Apple launches a Mac Mini mod site

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Dec 23, 2005, 02:42 AM   #2
Bakey
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: O Donny Boy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBytes


Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Apple launches a Mac Mini mod site

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
As űber geeky as this is [c'mon let's be honest!] -- it really does have that kind of purist modder attraction to it... I'm sure this is something the Intel/AMD modders are likely to buy into, ie. even more switchers at a price point that's pretty easily affordable [in most instances].

All good stuff... even though the Millenium Falcon is just taking it a little toooo far!!!
Bakey is offline   0
Old Dec 23, 2005, 02:47 AM   #3
LimeiBook86
macrumors 604
 
LimeiBook86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Hanging around in NJ with his cutie. :)
Send a message via AIM to LimeiBook86 Send a message via MSN to LimeiBook86 Send a message via Yahoo to LimeiBook86
I love the Millennium Falcon mod. I submitted this...but I guess nobody noticed It's cool to see that Apple shows an interest in user mods...or they just wanted to add something new to their site.
__________________
My 'How to Draw Fun Animals' iBook is now on iTunes
"Just you try and stop me..."
My Site Thrift Fails Tech Blog
LimeiBook86 is offline   0
Old Dec 23, 2005, 02:47 AM   #4
mad jew
Moderator emeritus
 
mad jew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Adelaide, Australia
I'd like it if Apple focused more on getting minis into cars. Advanced computers in cars' cabins will only get more common and it'd be nice if Apple was at the forefront.
__________________
Some things are better mad...
mad jew is offline   0
Old Dec 23, 2005, 05:08 AM   #5
mdavey
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad jew
I'd like it if Apple focused more on getting minis into cars.
The mini isn't designed for such operation. Vibrations in cars are a real problem for hard disks and the Mac mini doesn't have a mechanism to absorb those vibrations before they reach the hard drive. Compare with the design of the Empeg drive bay.
mdavey is offline   0
Old Dec 23, 2005, 05:13 AM   #6
mad jew
Moderator emeritus
 
mad jew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Adelaide, Australia
I was thinking more long term. Obviously hard drives have a difficult time keeping up when the going gets rough, but that doesn't mean it's not feasible or even likely that computers will become a larger part of in-car entertainment. At the moment, it's not terribly easy to get a mini in a car because, as you say, there are vibration issues along with mounting and connection issues. However, with a relatively small amount of research and development, I don't see why it can't be made easier.
__________________
Some things are better mad...
mad jew is offline   0
Old Dec 23, 2005, 08:57 AM   #7
agentmouthwash
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
the best part about it is that on the Millennium Falcon mod sight, an illegal version of A NEW HOPE is on the computer screen. I know because I have that same version - it's the Non-special edition (pre-1997).
agentmouthwash is offline   0
Old Dec 23, 2005, 09:14 AM   #8
Photorun
Banned
 
Photorun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NYC
Pimp my Mini?
Photorun is offline   0
Old Dec 23, 2005, 09:56 AM   #9
nagromme
macrumors G5
 
nagromme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Apple showcasing a warranty-smashing case mod? Strange times!

(And I have to say, that robot looks ten times better than the other homemade computer-bots I've seen. Nice job! Form AND function.)
nagromme is offline   0
Old Dec 23, 2005, 10:14 AM   #10
Seasought
macrumors 65816
 
Seasought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad jew
I'd like it if Apple focused more on getting minis into cars. Advanced computers in cars' cabins will only get more common and it'd be nice if Apple was at the forefront.
I think you're on to something with this, especially with the proliferation of iPods (and the need to listen to iPods in cars - yes I realize there are adapters already). The idea of having a computer available in the car for checking email, driving directions and finding hotspots is great especially for those of us who have to do a good deal of work on the road.

I don't know if Apple would want to do this or not, but I can see a number of benefits from a professional standpoint.

Of all the ones featured I think the Millennium Falcon is the least creative.
__________________
"If you can hear it, then itís speaking to you. And if you can see it, then itís yours to have."
Serial Experiments Lain
Seasought is offline   0
Old Dec 23, 2005, 11:25 AM   #11
impierced
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentmouthwash
the best part about it is that on the Millennium Falcon mod sight, an illegal version of A NEW HOPE is on the computer screen. I know because I have that same version - it's the Non-special edition (pre-1997).
And the link is:

"Millennium Falcom Mac mini."
impierced is offline   0
Old Dec 23, 2005, 12:21 PM   #12
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus
 
mkrishnan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by impierced
And the link is:

"Millennium Falcom Mac mini."
Huh? You kind of lost me there. I'm pretty sure "Falcon" is correct. Not that I really care. Just if you were trying to make a point, I was wondering what it is.

At least, the official people use that spelling.
__________________
Mira C. Krishnan
mkrishnan is offline   0
Old Dec 23, 2005, 02:12 PM   #13
SiliconAddict
macrumors 601
 
SiliconAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
I REALLY want this....

__________________
-iPod Video 160GB
-MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz/3GB RAM/250GB

-Newton 4700 (a.k.a iPaq 4700)
-Dell 2405FPW 24" Widescreen
SiliconAddict is offline   0
Old Dec 23, 2005, 02:13 PM   #14
SiliconAddict
macrumors 601
 
SiliconAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by impierced
And the link is:

"Millennium Falcom Mac mini."

Umm no. Its Millennium Falcon Well maybe its jobs way of saying it but its not the correct way.
__________________
-iPod Video 160GB
-MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz/3GB RAM/250GB

-Newton 4700 (a.k.a iPaq 4700)
-Dell 2405FPW 24" Widescreen
SiliconAddict is offline   0
Old Dec 23, 2005, 02:16 PM   #15
maya
macrumors 68040
 
maya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: somewhere between here and there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad jew
I was thinking more long term. Obviously hard drives have a difficult time keeping up when the going gets rough, but that doesn't mean it's not feasible or even likely that computers will become a larger part of in-car entertainment. At the moment, it's not terribly easy to get a mini in a car because, as you say, there are vibration issues along with mounting and connection issues. However, with a relatively small amount of research and development, I don't see why it can't be made easier.
You partially have the right idea there mad jew. I say this because yes a HDD might not be suitable for the conditions, however Apple is investing a large sum on Flash memory, if they can put a couple of those in the Mac Mini as a BTO for customers who want to do this kinda projects it might give them an experimental opportunity. Using Flash memory would boost the Mac Mini price, however giving the customer an "option" is another situation.
__________________
~V~

:. it's here!!! .:
maya is offline   0
Old Dec 23, 2005, 02:19 PM   #16
SiliconAddict
macrumors 601
 
SiliconAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by maya
You partially have the right idea there mad jew. I say this because yes a HDD might not be suitable for the conditions, however Apple is investing a large sum on Flash memory, if they can put a couple of those in the Mac Mini as a BTO for customers who want to do this kinda projects it might give them an experimental opportunity. Using Flash memory would boost the Mac Mini price, however giving the customer an "option" is another situation.
Yah by tripling the price of a mini. Flash ATA drives that have hard drive performance are NOT cheap.
__________________
-iPod Video 160GB
-MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz/3GB RAM/250GB

-Newton 4700 (a.k.a iPaq 4700)
-Dell 2405FPW 24" Widescreen
SiliconAddict is offline   0
Old Dec 23, 2005, 02:23 PM   #17
maya
macrumors 68040
 
maya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: somewhere between here and there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiliconAddict
Yah by tripling the price of a mini. Flash ATA drives that have hard drive performance are NOT cheap.
It can be used in an "assist mode" though, when the car is on the move and spinning the HDD at a very slow rate. Just trowing a method of how it might work. Not even sure what Apple is paying for Flash memory with this new deal they have with several companies.
__________________
~V~

:. it's here!!! .:
maya is offline   0
Old Dec 23, 2005, 04:46 PM   #18
p0intblank
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Jersey
That's pretty cool. I've seen some of those mods before, but not the mutli-display and robotic ones.
__________________
The #1 source for accessories compatible with Apple's new Mac Pro
Have a suggestion? Contact me here!
p0intblank is offline   0
Old Dec 23, 2005, 11:22 PM   #19
mad jew
Moderator emeritus
 
mad jew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Adelaide, Australia
I think Flash memory is still a bit too expensive for the bottom-range Mac.

Regular hard drives aren't that bad. My 4G iPod manages well enough with the rough and tumble of life. I'd say it gets worse treatment than a mini in a car would get, assuming you're not in a TVR or CSV.

Ahh... But what is a CSV...
__________________
Some things are better mad...
mad jew is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 Mac Mini to G3 iMac Mod sumo.do Mac mini 4 Mar 27, 2014 04:08 PM
Mac Mini with rewiring in PowerMac G4 Mod Cox Orange PowerPC Macs 1 Jan 4, 2014 03:21 PM
A Mac Mini Pro Mod Set Up Michaelgtrusa Picture Gallery 3 Jun 9, 2013 11:11 AM
Mac Pro Mini Mod! Michaelgtrusa Mac mini 2 Jun 8, 2013 11:38 PM
Mac Mini Pro Server Mod me262 Mac mini 8 Aug 6, 2012 02:38 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC