Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2013
iOS for iPad is just a beefed-up version of the iPhone operating system. I realise that's stating the obvious, but sometimes I feel like Apple have written the code for iPad but no-one has actualy looked at it in action, or taken it for a spin to see what it's like.

For example, why does Siri take up the *entire* screen when you ask him/her anything? It's not like most of us have a full conversation, we only ask a question or two and that's it. Make it more suitable for the iPad screen, please. It works on the iPhone, not on the iPad.

Also, surely SURELY someone must have considered the ability to view 2 apps running on the screen at the same time. I understand why not for the iPhone, but the iPad has a great deal of screen real estate to play with. I don't understand why this isn't a feature.

Anyone else think this? Thoughts appreciated.

Alex

Last edited:

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
When sales plummet it will change. So... for the next 50 years or so, enjoy your deficient iOS.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Do you ever ask yourself

What are the disadvantages if they do what you suggested? I mean, not just for you but for other millions of users who may be very different from you.

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
And why were the 3D scrolling Safari tabs left out of the iPad version which would have looked great on a larger screen?

I like that there is a consistency between Apple's mobile devices but some some of the inconsistencies don't make sense, such as no calculator and Safari scrolling tabs on the iPad.

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2013
What are the disadvantages if they do what you suggested? I mean, not just for you but for other millions of users who may be very different from you.

By making Siri take up less screen space? I'd say none. By allowing 2 apps to run side by side? I'd say none. If people don't want to use that feature, then that's fine. But to not have it available when the screen space can accomodate it is something I thought Apple would have thought of. My point is - I'm saying Apple has ported the iPhone iOS without *thinking* of how to maximise that to the iPad's advantages.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
By making Siri take up less screen space? I'd say none. By allowing 2 apps to run side by side? I'd say none. If people don't want to use that feature, then that's fine. But to not have it available when the screen space can accomodate it is something I thought Apple would have thought of. My point is - I'm saying Apple has ported the iPhone iOS without *thinking* of how to maximise that to the iPad's advantages.

So you seriously think that Apple is just being lazy?

A multibillion company with competition breathing down their neck being lazy?

Here is one reason: the minute you allow 2 apps on the same screen, you have to resize them. All iOS apps are full screen app, which mean they have to be rewritten to be resizable. When you resize an app, the aspect ratio is different, so you can't just scale them. If you instead make them scrollable, the apps are now harder to use.

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2013
So you seriously think that Apple is just being lazy?

A multibillion company with competition breathing down their neck being lazy?

Here is one reason: the minute you allow 2 apps on the same screen, you have to resize them. All iOS apps are full screen app, which mean they have to be rewritten to be resizable. When you resize an app, the aspect ratio is different, so you can't just scale them. If you instead make them scrollable, the apps are now harder to use.

Yes, I do think they're being lazy. They re-wrote (albeit cosmetically) iOS this year primarily for the iPhone, which is understandable since the iPhone is their cash cow. Your point about the apps kind of backs up my own - it's not impossible to re-size them, you've just shown what would be needed to make it happen, in a sentence or two in a forum post. I've seen 2 apps running at the same time on a Note 3 (heck, even the same app running twice). And that's in a phone. So yes, laziness is my word of the day here.

May I point out that it was the same with iOS6. The notifications, when you pulled them from the top of the screen, took up as much space as an iPhone 5 screen. Ported.

Alex

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The only issue I have with iPad OS is the music app.

I think that Apple didn't put too much thought into it compared to the iPhone app. I was disappointed with all the given space to each artist name or album.. It's just too much scrolling. I'd prefer the grid view of numerous artist and names.. At least give users a choice in how to view the content,

They don't take advantage of the screen real-estate, I would prefer using another music app... But since I use iTunes Match, no.. 3rd party music app is unable to support it.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
the minute you allow 2 apps on the same screen, you have to resize them. All iOS apps are full screen app, which mean they have to be rewritten to be resizable. When you resize an app, the aspect ratio is different, so you can't just scale them. If you instead make them scrollable, the apps are now harder to use.

I dont know that scrollable apps are harder to use--i mean thats been the heart of x86 windowing since the ninties. Samsung has addressed this issue but only for selected apps--but the list is growing. Its not too hard to imagine apple to come up with a way to run youtube and a notes program side by side. Oh --sorry--there is no native youtube app and ipad doesnt support pen functionality (a foam finger doesn't count). oops

It not that apples lazy--it really a vision thing. Eventually apple will have to find a way to implement multi-tasking in ios--

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I dont know that scrollable apps are harder to use--i mean thats been the heart of x86 windowing since the ninties.

Well, that is what make the iPad so different from other tablets that failed commercially: simplicity. May be you want multiple windows, but 99% of the population don't.

As a software developer on multiple platform since the days of MS-DOS, I have seen a lot of powerful interfaces that did not do well with the general public. I do like the simplicity of iOS full screen apps. There is a trade off in every decision one makes when designing software.

The fact the you are on this forum excludes you from the 99% of the population who are a lot less savvy when it comes to using a tablet.

charlOOsi

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2013
Yes, very lazy. The iPad is just a blown up iPhone (actually, with LESS stuff). My biggest qualm is the lack of album artwork scroll for the iPad. Why did they take that out for the iPad, but have for the iPhone?

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009

The obvious solution, to me, would be to allow apps to switch between "iPhone Mode" and "iPad Mode". iPhone apps are already written to work on a small screen, and most apps are universal, so that would be a perfect compromise for a sort of windowed mode.

In the case of something "wrapper-style" like Safari, which is literally just a bar with content floating below, that kind of app would make sense to resize outright.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
You all don't understand. There is no compelling reason for Apple to change anything. The familiarities of iOS have been around for a while now and people are "comfortable" with it. Just comparing version 7 to the very first should make that obvious.

I wish it would do a lot more myself but it never will. The day when 3 and 4 year-olds can't grasp the UI is when Apple has gone too far.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I have seen a lot of powerful interfaces that did not do well with the general public. ... The fact the you are on this forum excludes you from the 99% of the population

Apple's priority is the iPhone in my opinion. And also hardware wise.

Apple's priority is making money.

The money is in the mass market, not the geeks and propeller heads (i.e. macrumors forums denizens).

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2013
Apple's priority is making money.

The money is in the mass market, not the geeks and propeller heads (i.e. macrumors forums denizens).

I completely agree. I guess what bugs me is that so many people view Apple as beacons of technological wonder and that they can do no wrong, and yet I see them as cutting corners.

Don't get me wrong, I actually do like my iPad!! But there are more than a few times when I've done something and thought 'Now why did they do that?'. Then I use my iPhone and it all becomes clear. I'm not expecting them to change though *sigh*

Alex

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I do like the simplicity of iOS full screen apps. There is a trade off in every decision one makes when designing software.

I think if you look at os design in the last 5-7 years--there has been a push from apple and ms to promote full screen app use. Now there is push back of sorts. Samsung is introducing split screening on its note series. And windows 8.1 and next years "threshold" will back track on a full screen emphasis

I notice the mac rumors crowd seems to under estimate the average user. Time will tell

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
A four-finger swipe to go between apps works pretty well for me. Which two apps would you like to access on the same screen, for instance?

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2013
A four-finger swipe to go between apps works pretty well for me. Which two apps would you like to access on the same screen, for instance?

I would first point out that the app you want may not be just a single four-finger swipe away. And off the top of my head, I'd say FaceTime coupled with Notes, or Calendar. Then, while I'm talking to friends and family and we arrange something, I can write it in or jot it down without putting them on hold. But that's not the point I'm trying to make. My point is that I think Apple are cutting corners and at the same time batting words like 'revolutionary' around.

Nope, your expectations are just too high.

For the price they're asking, and the quality of the competition which is *cheaper*, I'd say my expectations are right in line.

Man, I sound like the Grinch!! :)

Alex

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.