Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
I would like to download a password manager but each time I think I have picked one... I read the reviews and most seem to say the app crashes a lot and people lost their data. Many apps also had warnings that the app developers aren't really updating their apps anymore. I am not really interested in paying for a pricey app that is going be a headache. Can anyone recommend an app that really works for keeping passwords organized? Thanks!

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
I am a user of 1Password, both the current version (4?) and the previous version (1Password Pro?). Sadly, the developers of 1Password rewrote 1Password after Dropbox deprecated a particular syncing API, and decided to release it as a brand new app.

I've tried some of 1Password's competitors' offerings and they are typically quite mediocre. 1Password is the Dropbox of password managers, for better or worse.

I'm hoping that some day Apple's iOS Keychain management is robust enough where I can use it as a free password manager, but it has not arrived yet as of December 2013.

Download and install AppShopper and set up an account. Then add 1Password as an "Want It" app. You'll get notified when the price drops. That's when you should consider buying 1Password.

In my opinion, 1Password is not worth the full retail price. I'm sure the 1Password developers would disagree with my assessment, but then again, they are the ones who periodically put their app on sale. Charge up your iTunes account with a discounted iTunes gift card and you'll pay even less out of pocket.

Last edited:

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
I think it is $9.99 right now and I did load up on some discounted iTunes cards. Maybe it's time to buy it. Thanks!

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I've been using 1Password for a couple of years on iDevices and Macs and keeping the password file on Dropbox. I have not had any problems. It works well for logins, creating passwords, storing personal data (my cc info), etc

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
I think it is $9.99 right now and I did load up on some discounted iTunes cards. Maybe it's time to buy it. Thanks!

Yup, 1Password is on sale for the holidays.

The Mac and Windows applications are as well, if you're interested in those. http://www.agilebits.com/store/

Thanks for your support! If you need any assistance after getting it installed please let me know!

Have a wonderful holiday everyone :)

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
1Password is definitely the way to go. I tested several and found 1Password trumped them all.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
I too am a 1Password user and have been for some time now.

When 1Password4 came out for iOS last January I jumped on it. Only after paying my $17 for it I found it no longer supported WiFi sync which is a killer for me. There was a group of us who let AgileBits have it over this omission and in the last year they have released 1P4 for OS X and we again have WiFi sync.

So a) they do listen and even came up with a work around method until 1P4 for OS X was released and b) it really is that good.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
I've been using SecureSafe for a while, and switched to 1Password yesterday.
So far I'm very happy with it. The in-app 1Browser is nice.
And I like the UI, with iOS6 traces...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Another vote for 1Password, strong application with cross platform support, You can't lose with that app :)

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I would like to download a password manager but each time I think I have picked one... I read the reviews and most seem to say the app crashes a lot and people lost their data. Many apps also had warnings that the app developers aren't really updating their apps anymore. I am not really interested in paying for a pricey app that is going be a headache. Can anyone recommend an app that really works for keeping passwords organized? Thanks!
I'm not going to recommend one right now because the one I'm using is 6 months past when they said they'd have a certain inportant feature.

However, I will recommend that you backup the data. The one I use makes encrypted backups. And I keep a backup on my Mac and both iOS devices just in case.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Offline Password Manager

Not sure if this is a strange one but I'm looking for an app to manage offline passwords and security codes, for example door codes, router login details etc.

iPhone and iPad native app would be great along with iCloud syncing between devices.

Not sure if such an app exists but thought I would ask :)

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Not sure if this is a strange one but I'm looking for an app to manage offline passwords and security codes, for example door codes, router login details etc.

iPhone and iPad native app would be great along with iCloud syncing between devices.

Not sure if such an app exists but thought I would ask :)
1Password does this I think. I know oneSafe will do what you want.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
iCloud does most of my work now but for important information other than passwords (passwords too), I save everything in OneSafe. I got the app for free (Mac and iOS versions) and couldn't have asked for more.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I've been using LastPass for several years and I'm very pleased with it.

Lots of useful features, cross platform through iCloud, and the free version is really all one needs.

kgs

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
I've been using LastPass for several years and I'm very pleased with it.

Lots of useful features, cross platform through iCloud, and the free version is really all one needs.

Last pass doesn't use iCloud. It's hosted on their own servers.

I use 1Password.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.