Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zephyr2095

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Hi everyone

My mother has a little business that she runs from her home. I really want to help her expand her business. I thought a website would really help her business grow.

I have read a few books on C but I haven't used it for any coding. What all is required to build a website?
If I wanted to build it on my own, what all should I know? I'm willing to learn and I really want to build a website.

Thanks in advance.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Hi everyone

My mother has a little business that she runs from her home. I really want to help her expand her business. I thought a website would really help her business grow.

I have read a few books on C but I haven't used it for any coding. What all is required to build a website?
If I wanted to build it on my own, what all should I know? I'm willing to learn and I really want to build a website.

Thanks in advance.

You'd want to learn HTML/CSS/some PHP, not C, that's a whole other ball game. :D

I'd advise you to play around with WordPress (http://wordpress.org). For your mom's needs, it would be better if you used a content manager system instead of flat out HTML coding. That way, you can focus on the HTML mostly, and learning how to use the system. Then you can teach her how to use the system and not get into all the other mumbo jumbo.

This way she can do her own edits on her own.

I mention WordPress because you have lots of options with it. You can even take one of the many themes already made, and just add to them and skip the whole learning code thing except to switch out images and change the colors.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Hi everyone

Thanks in advance.

What both posters said above. Also, where do you plan on hosting it? I think it's best to have your own domain that's the name of the business - makes it look more professional. As with many hosting companies, the domain registration is usually $9.99/year but it's often waived for new accounts. DreamHost(.com) offers hosting at about ~$9-10/mo. Which includes unlimited space and a bunch of web apps. The more expensive monthly has a dedicated, physical server whereas the cheaper plans have a shared, virtual server.

zephyr2095

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Thank you for your replies.

I'm an engineering student and my engineering has nothing to do with coding, website building etc. I usually study everything in the classroom and in my spare time I've absolutely nothing to do.

My mother has a small business of supplying home cooked food to people and because I live away from home, I realised it is the best food one can have.

What I wanted was to build a website on my own to expand her business by building a website. Even if the website fails, it'll be an opportunity to learn.

The only thing I want to know is what all should I do?
Any books/articles where I can find out everything. It'll be a hobby project for me

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Visit W3Schools.com and do all their excercises. It'll take less than a month, I think, to learn the basics of all the languages that are involved in nearly every website (HTML, CSS, JS, and JQ).

Depending on what you want to do with it, you may also want to learn things like PHP. And you'll need to host this somehow.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
While the coding route is admirable and not a bad path for the time being, I'd suggest looking at WordPress at the same time.

If the business grows, you'll have your hands full even if using WordPress as a starting point. As Jessica mentions, the amount of options, plugins and themes for WordPress is staggering - there's no way you could put together a viable website quickly and keep it going with hand coding, but with WordPress, you can.

SpinalTap

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2003
Bournville, UK
Although I own Dreamweaver I also like RapidWeaver. This is a substantive evolutionary - and superior - product to Apple's own iWeb.

Also, RapidWeaver is significantly cheaper than Dreamweaver.

However, to make best advantage of RapidWeaver you really need the third-party 'Stacks' add-on (which really should have been included with the program).

http://realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.