Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lhsafaris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
Hey guys

I have a old "core i7 870 2.93Ghz, i run windows only on in as my video editing software (Pinnacle) is only supported by windows. I love my mac and need to get a second one.

My question is, the new quad core i5 3.4ghz, how would this compare to the one i currently have? is it worth looking at?

The only programs i run are as follows: to give you an idea what i do with it
Pinnacle Studio
Photoshop
Emails
Word etc

Any help would be great

thanks guys

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My question is, the new quad core i5 3.4ghz, how would this compare to the one i currently have? is it worth looking at?
When you say "old i7" what i7 specifically. Intel has used the i7 nomenclature since around 2009 on various chipsets. What model MBP do you currently have and how much storage/ram (which impacts performance)

lhsafaris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
Im not sure where to find that info

it says 2.93Ghz intel core i7
serial number QP1020TNGXU
OS X version 10.8.3
Build 12D78
16GB 1333Mhz DDR3

Is this what you are looking for?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
If you open "System Information" you can find the Model Identifier which tells you which version of the hardware this was. In your case I believe it should be an iMac 11,3.

B

lhsafaris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
Looking at the link and comparing stats, would it be a safe bet to go for the i5 if you were in my shoes?

breiti

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
If you render/encode videos on a daily basis, the new i7 will obv. get the job faster done than the new i5. but if you can spare the savings in time and want to save the money, you can go with the i5. Other than video encoding (or other heavy cpu based stuff) you won't notice a difference.

If you want a snappier iMac on a day-to-day base even when not encoding video, you may want to go with an SSD or at least Fusion Drive

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
The newer boxes also support faster RAM and have faster GPUs so there are other reasons why the machine will be faster overall than just the CPU even without the SSD.

B

lhsafaris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
Thanks a bunch guys

Think im gonna go ahead and get a i5

Will work it a bit and post my thoughts here.

Thanks again

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
So see my earlier post. From the CPU alone you should see about a 30% performance boost from the old i7 to the current i5 base model.

EDIT: Note that the current available i7 (i7-4771) goes even another 30% above that.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4771-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4670

B

Why is the 4771 30% faster than the 4671 despite there being only 100 Mhz difference? Does the benchmarks take into effect hyper threading? Only explanation I can think of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.