Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Is the 4 meant to be better at picking up wifi and cellular signals than a 5? I find this to be the case but don't know if its normal.

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Apple keeps improving the antennas.

Especially after the problem with "antenna-gate" on the iPhone 4.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Is the 4 meant to be better at picking up wifi and cellular signals than a 5? I find this to be the case but don't know if its normal.

If you are going by the number of bars you could be misled. The cell phone signal algorithm for determining the number of bars has changed between the iPhone 4 and the iPhone five. The only real way to tell If there is a difference is to make a call to somebody using both the iPhone for the iPhone 5 and have the caller tell you what the call quality is of both phones.

As for the Wi-Fi the differences between the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 5 have to do with the iPhone 5 now supports the N wireless specification on 5ghz. The iPhone 4 doesn't and that also could account for the difference in the number of bars between the two phones on the wifi symbol.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
If you are going by the number of bars you could be misled. The cell phone signal algorithm for determining the number of bars has changed between the iPhone 4 and the iPhone five. The only real way to tell If there is a difference is to make a call to somebody using both the iPhone for the iPhone 5 and have the caller tell you what the call quality is of both phones.

That's why I asked if they're running the same iOS. It's the operating system using the different algorithm, not the iPhone.

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Everybody I know with an iPhone 4/4S has a better signal than I do with my 5S. In this area its probably due to the 3G signal being stronger than LTE.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Everybody I know with an iPhone 4/4S has a better signal than I do with my 5S. In this area its probably due to the 3G signal being stronger than LTE.

How do you define better? And if you define "better" as the number of bars, how do you know the phones hardware and software interpretation of the signal is the same.

If you define "better" as call quality, the 5s is better in call quality by leaps and bounds than the 4.

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
How do you define better? And if you define "better" as the number of bars, how do you know the phones hardware and software interpretation of the signal is the same.

If you define "better" as call quality, the 5s is better in call quality by leaps and bounds than the 4.

Field test mode to display the signal strength, not bars or dots. Even on my own phone, if I switch off LTE my signal improves drastically.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
As I said, call quality on 5s is better than 4, so you can't really judge "better" by field test mode. It's not what the numbers say, it's how it sounds.

Additionally the hardware as I said could be interpreting the numbers differently.

Makes perfect sense what you said about lte.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Just curious why you would even think this considering that when the iPhone 4 came out there was no 4s and no 5 at the time.

How could Apple make the 4 better than the 5 when the 4s and the 5 did not exist then? It may have just happened this way, but how can you purposely design something to be better than a product that does not exist yet?

Unless Apple is now omniscient in addition to it's other qualities?

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
The 4s tends to find and connect to wifi signals which the 5 can't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.