Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I have a networking question. Currently, my Mac connects to the Internet wirelessly, and an Ethernet cable connects it to my Windows PC, which doesn't have Internet access. I have Windows sharing set up on my Mac so the two computers can exchange files.

I was wondering if enabling sharing on the Windows PC instead of the Mac and connecting to the PC from the Mac would be more secure. If so, I can simply use the networking guide here to set everything up.

Also, is the Mac firewall going to cause problems? I have it enabled.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
The only added security benefit would be closing the Windows sharing port on your Internet connected Mac.

I would definitely move the share to the Windows PC. The sharing guide should help you, and the Mac firewall will pose no problems.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
belvdr said:
The only added security benefit would be closing the Windows sharing port on your Internet connected Mac.

I would definitely move the share to the Windows PC. The sharing guide should help you, and the Mac firewall will pose no problems.
As I suspected. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.