Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Does apple need to increase the ppi Retina Display? I am starting to feel that the next iPhone needs a higher ppi. Yes retina display is clear but there are times I feel it could be better. On iOS where those circles are that show you your cellar signal if ones not full it doesn't look so good. Retina Display is 326 ppi but the Samsung Galaxy s4 has a ppi of 441. Do you think apple needs to increase the number of pixels per inch?

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i'd be fine with a bigger display at the same ppi. a 720p display at the current density would be 4.5 inches. it's a good size for the iphone.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Id rather have an an extra hour or two of battery life... Than wasted pushing more backlight through ever tinier pixels,

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
i'd be fine with a bigger display at the same ppi. a 720p display at the current density would be 4.5 inches. it's a good size for the iphone.

indeed I concur this would be ideal!

Id rather have an an extra hour or two of battery life... Than wasted pushing more backlight through ever tinier pixels,

^ that automatically comes with the larger screen size even at the same thickness, battery technology, and A7 processor chip technology, the battery capacity would be increased roughly 700-1000-mAh at best.

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
I think it already looks great. Cant really tell the difference between a gs4 and my 5s.
Actually the retina does look better.

zmon

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2013
Louisiana
It'll probably be 1080p at best on the 6. Maybe we'll eventually see 4k on the 7 or 8. Screen size does need to increase though, and I'm sure it will for the 6.

nw9

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
If the next iPhone is larger in size then yes I think the resolution should increase to either maintain the same ppi or increase in ppi. Some people can't see the difference in ppi but I can when the ppi becomes too small. I don't want Apple to go less than the current ppi. If it doesn't affect battery life or performance too much then yes more ppi would be good, but I'm okay with the current ppi on the iPhone 5.

elfy

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
No it doesn't. It's already higher than it needs to be. The human eye can't differentiate between pixels at the size they are now so an increase would have literally no visible difference.

And the screen size doesn't need to increase either in my opinion. It's a phone. It needs to fit comfortably in a pocket. This obsession with bigger and bigger phones is getting ridiculous.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

It would be great.

I'm not impressed by androids 1080 displays. They are just pumping specs to seem better than competitors.
iPhone DPI is enough, if they are going to release a bigger screen I just hope for a DPI non lower than that.

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
No it doesn't. It's already higher than it needs to be. The human eye can't differentiate between pixels at the size they are now so an increase would have literally no visible difference.

Hmm.. I can clearly see the pixels at the signal strength circles. These are not really round. The same at the stopwatch circles/numbers.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
New York

And the screen size doesn't need to increase either in my opinion. It's a phone. It needs to fit comfortably in a pocket. This obsession with bigger and bigger phones is getting ridiculous.

Yes but i am starting to feel certain things aren't as clear. Its no where near as bad as my PC monitor where i see every pixel but i think if apple took the ppi to 400 that would be good.

And I hope apple keeps the 4 inch display. I like using my phone in one hand.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
New York

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Sorry but that picture is not as clear as it should be. I'm not sure why. But just look for you self if you ever see a circle is not filled. And if your playing a game and you pull down and you see that down arrow that pulls down the notification center that's not clear too.

elfy

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Hmm.. I can clearly see the pixels at the signal strength circles. These are not really round. The same at the stopwatch circles/numbers.

Are you holding the phone at the kind of distance you'd normally hold it when using it, or are you holding it inches from your face? Because that's the only way I can see what you're seeing. And that's not how you use a phone.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Are you holding the phone at the kind of distance you'd normally hold it when using it, or are you holding it inches from your face? Because that's the only way I can see what you're seeing. And that's not how you use a phone.

I see it holding it a normal distance from my face and my vision is not so good. And if you see it and you are holding it to close to your face then its still bad because you should be able to hold it where your most comfortable.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I see it holding it a normal distance from my face and my vision is not so good. And if you see it and you are holding it to close to your face then its still bad because you should be able to hold it where your most comfortable.

If your vision is not so good, then it's probably not the phone's fault it's not clear.

Looks file to me. I personally don't want a higher PPI or a larger display. I just want a little more battery lift.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
New York
If your vision is not so good, then it's probably not the phone's fault it's not clear.

Looks file to me. I personally don't want a higher PPI or a larger display. I just want a little more battery lift.

I see clearly up close its when things get farther away i cant see so i know its not me

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

You can CLEARLY see pixels at the signal strength circles ????????? :confused:

OMG, superman is a Macrumors forum user :eek:

What about OCD in this forum ... :rolleyes:

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
I think they will increase the ppi hopefully next year. The original Retina Display started in 2010 with iPhone 4 so hopefully they will upgrade.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

Don't believe the apple hype. Current retina isn't sharp enough to be truly indiscernible to our vision.

http://www.cultofmac.com/173702/why-retina-isnt-enough-feature/

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
After using a HTC One for about 6 months with its 4.7", 1080p, 469ppi display. I have to say, it was incredible. Apple just isn't there yet, but I hope they are soon..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.