Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
I just did a clean install of 10.9 but after some tweaking Illustrator CS5 refused to start "you cant open the application Illustrator CS5 because it is not supported on this type of mac". Booted with cmd+opt+pr to reset pram but no luck. Strangely, when I created a new user that new user could start Illustrator.
Anyway, I booted the first user in safe mode (shift during boot) and it could start Illustrator, and then when I booted normally it worked!

So what exactly does Safe mode do? What did it change so that Illustrator then worked again in normal boot?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Safe mode does a fsck disk check and also flushes out cache files, so one of those things may have helped you. It also prevents startup items from launching.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Safe mode does a fsck disk check and also flushes out cache files, so one of those things may have helped you. It also prevents startup items from launching.
I forgot to say I did a "repair disk permissions" in Disk Utility but it didn't help. Is that the same thing as fsck disk check? Then the cache files must be the fix I guess

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I forgot to say I did a "repair disk permissions" in Disk Utility but it didn't help. Is that the same thing as fsck disk check? Then the cache files must be the fix I guess

No, fsck checks the file structure on the disk for errors. More similar to the "repair disk" you see there in Disk Utlity, but it is more thorough since it runs before the GUI and all is running.

Repair permissions ordinarily would not help with an issue like this.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Repair Disk Permissions does not have functions in common with Repair Disk.
It's function is to repair "permissions" and does not do any disk directory checks, other than those that are related to disk permissions (consequently, the use of the word "permissions")

Repair Disk is similar to the Safe Boot disk check (and could be exactly the same function, not sure)
You have to be booted to a different disk to run the Repair Disk function in Disk Utility, such as when you are booted to the Recovery disk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.