Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GanChan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
...And no, I wasn't going for a "cleaner" sound.:p

Actually, it's my backup library; I run my collection of mp3s off a hard drive, but I also keep backup copies on a pair of USB drives in my pocket. They travel with me, you see, in case my apartment burns down etc.... I wasn't counting on my pocket being the danger zone! But then I accidentally washed and dried the USB drives in my laundry. They still work fine, thankfully, but I can't help wondering if I've shortened their useful lifespan, and whether I should go ahead and replace them or just assume they will keep storing my data reliably (provided they pay no more visits to the washing machine). Anyone have personal experience along these lines? Any thoughts on the matter appreciated.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
Now this is someone who loves his music. I don't think I know anyone who always has their backup library on them.

I'm not sure it's such a smart thing, unless you also want the access to it at all times.

A backup should be first and foremost in a secure and safe location. I don't think your pocket would ever qualify.

-t

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.