Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The popular Evasi0n jailbreak has been today updated for iOS 7.x., marking the first time users have been able to deploy an untethered jailbreak on any device running iOS 7.0 to iOS 7.0.4, including newer devices such as the iPhone 5c, iPhone 5c, iPad mini with Retina Display, and iPad Air. The method allows for users to jailbreak their devices to make use of unauthorized content like themes, tweaks, and apps from sources other than the App Store.

evasi0n_ios_7.jpg
However, Cydia administrator Jay Freeman noted on his Twitter that he was not informed about a new version of Evasi0n before its release, also indicating that the build of Cydia installed with the new jailbreak is not official and may lead to some compatibility issues with existing downloads on the service. However, users on our forums are actively pointing out which Cydia apps are compatible with the new jailbreak, and it is recommended you look there for specific information.

Evasi0n is available now for OS X and Windows as an untethered jailbreak, with users only having to apply the method once. Tethered jailbreaks requires users to have their devices connected to a computer each time they restart.

Update: Cydia administrator Jay Freeman has also revealed on his Twitter that Evasi0n installs a third party "app store" named Taig for cracked apps in China. Furthermore, two tweets by developer i0n1c (via Y Combinator) state that a Chinese company paid the Evad3rs development team a rumored $1 million dollars to release the jailbreak in order to force the Taig app store onto devices.

Article Link: 'Evasi0n' Untethered Jailbreak Updated for Newer iPhones, iPads and iOS 7.x [Updated]

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Finally I can get the features Apple is going to steal in iOS 8.

iphone495

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012
"including newer devices such as the iPhone 5c, iPhone 5c, iPad mini with Retina Display, and iPad Air. "

Don't you mean iPhone 5S, and iPhone 5c?

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Good news. Interesting that this came out before 7.1 went live. They must be confident they have more exploits because Apple will no doubt close these ones when 7.1 goes live.

Spontida

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
Little late aren't we? :D

Jailbroke my iPhone 5s with no problems, but many tweaks don't work yet.

djplaxe2109

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2013
Good news. Interesting that this came out before 7.1 went live. They must be confident they have more exploits because Apple will no doubt close these ones when 7.1 goes live.

Or any remaining exploits were closed in the two betas and there won't be a 7.1 jailbreak.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
YES!!

My first jailbreak! I'll finally be free from iOS 7.

Thanks Apple, for forcing me to do this. I'd been happier if you'd let me go back to iOS 6.

I'll chalk it all up to personal growth. :D

ViRGE

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2003
It bears mentioning that if you're on a Chinese iPhone, you should be very careful before installing this. If the Evasi0n installer detects that it's running on a Chinese device, it will install a 3rd party app store (as root no less), Taiji.

There is some significant concern right now that Taiji is collecting additional user details and sending that information back to the owners (not Evasi0n), which may present a privacy/security risk. Plus Taiji is chock-full of pirated apps, so it's not really on the up-and-up in the first place.

https://twitter.com/a_titkov/status/414778967070359552

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Be careful with this one, it seems some other interests were involved with the code...

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=6950619

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I wouldn't bother yet, if you OTA updated you need to restore, cydia isn't updated and neither is winterboard or mobile substrate. That right there pretty much says there is no reason to do it until the software is there.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
NOTE FOR ANYONE JAILBREAKING:

Important packages, including Substrate Safe Mode, and even Cydia itself, isn't updated for iOS 7 yet. The Cydia that comes with this is an unofficial build. Expect an official version of Cydia and an updated version of essential packages within a few days.

BE CAREFUL when installing packages, as many can cause iOS 7 to crash, and cause deep system errors due to all the changes in iOS 7. It's a good idea to just not install much of anything for a week or so.

HangmanSwingset

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Everett, WA
The only tweak I enjoy that I've gotten to work so far is F.lux (requires the beta version, detailed in the tweak's description.)
And I got Whatsapp working on my iPad mini again, though that doesn't really require a jalbreak to happen.

Hopefully we get tweaks enabling native SMS and phone capabilities with this release.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Oh great. Now 7.1 final release won't be jailbroken because these guys just threw away an exploit in a rush to be "first."

Thanks and great work, evasi0n.

M2M

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2009
Booh! Booh! Booh!
The first jailbreak I say booh to, due to selling it to a chinese pirate appz / warez store.

Booh !

tbrand7

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2013
New York
You mean the Jailbreak with $1,000,000 in sponsorship dollars from a Chinese company that injects malware into your iPhone with an App Store for cracked apps called TaiG that does an "E.T. Phone Home" of your private data to a Chinese server? Sounds awesome!

hansonjohn590

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2013
This is by far the most controversial jb release.

Newbies, stay away for a while unless you want to find yourself constantly restoring your phone.

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I'll pass. I don't want this fishy bloatware.

Same here. I don't care what anybody says. I'm not usually one to freak out over security or privacy issues, but something is not right. I pointed out in another thread the only reason I have to jailbreak now is for zeppelin. I guess I can just deal with "Verizon" being written at the top of my phone. Everything else I ever jailbroke for is in iOS 7.

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
You mean the Jailbreak with $1,000,000 in sponsorship dollars from a Chinese company that injects malware into your iPhone with an App Store for cracked apps called TaiG that does an "E.T. Phone Home" of your private data to a Chinese server? Sounds awesome!

After doing a lot of reading up on this, there is a ton of misinformation running around.

TaiG is only installed if your native language is Chinese.

None of our data is being uploaded or shared to a Chinese server.

The cracked apps thing was being dealt with and will not be installed on your phone if your native language is not Chinese.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.