Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Hey all,

I'm looking for some speakers to accompany my setup. I listen to a huge variety of genres, and am looking for some excellent sounding speakers that are cost-effective. I really appreciate a good, energizing sound (and bass). Anything between the price range of $0 - $100 is comfortable (not really looking to spend more than that).

What's your current speaker setup (and cost/price)?

Cheers!

iFonck

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2013
Belgium
I'm using the Harman/Kardon soundstick II since a couple of years and I'm very happy I have them :) They play very well, all genres. Much bang for buck ;)

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
I am using discontinued NuForce S-X speakers ($60/pair at the time of purchase) with a Teac A-H01 integrated amp (with USB and digital audio inputs). There's an old Cambridge SoundWorks subwoofer back there, don't know the model number, don't care enough to look.

My current setup replaced an Onkyo CR-325 receiver with a pair of Polk Audio TL1s ($100/pair at the time of purchase) which has now been relegated to the bedroom. The NuForce Icon HDP DAC/headphone amp originally attached to this rig is currently gathering dust.

Last edited:

HIMAN1998

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2013
Richmond, VA
Hey all,

I'm looking for some speakers to accompany my setup. I listen to a huge variety of genres, and am looking for some excellent sounding speakers that are cost-effective. I really appreciate a good, energizing sound (and bass). Anything between the price range of $0 - $100 is comfortable (not really looking to spend more than that).

What's your current speaker setup (and cost/price)?

Cheers!

I use a 2.1 system, it's the Logitech z313. Here is a link. On sale for $35, normally $50. They sound very good, they have a control pod to hook headphones up to, along with to control volume and turn them on or off.

nkawal

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2011
NYC
I use the Bose Companion 5 that i received as a gift over 5 years now. No issues. Love it. I do however, want to try the Audioengine a5.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Bose Airlink Portable....yes it DOES sound superb:)

Just picked up this Bose wirless speaker this afternoon

got fed up reading various reviews of makes/models of speakers

Itunes non stop for past few hours good choice

Was intended for the kitchen...no need to 'carry' from 1 room 2 another

Sound is clear vocals excellent -good choice 1 bedroom flat music can be heard in living room/kitchen/bedroom -wherever the speaker is placed

Now to ge the Bose iphone sound touch app working -not much luck getting this registered via Bose website

Is there a iphone 'airplay' app to control, itunes/airplay from my iphone?

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Klipsch 2.1s are $99 at best buy this week.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch...stem-3-piece-black/9382232.p?id=1218095770265

For $100 that's really the best you're going to get. Sometimes, Logitech Z623s can also be had for $100. Right now they're $114 at amazon and bestbuy:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980-000402-Speaker-System-Z623/dp/B003VAHYTG

These sound great too! :)

If you absolutely must have bookshelf/monitor style speakers, the M-Audio AV40s would be $120:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=797785&Q=&is=REG&A=details

(That's a good deal, everyone else is charging $150!)

I've never heard a pair of monitors before so I honestly can't comment on how they'd sound compared to the other speakers.

Hope that helps! :)

Accord3

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2012
Hampshire, UK
Bose Soundlink Mini BT Speaker

Just picked up this Bose wirless speaker this afternoon

I ordered mine from QVC on back order before Xmas, expecting it either today or Monday and hope it sounds as good as it looks.
It looks simple to set up via Bluetooth for my iPhone, iPad, MBP and MacMini.
Cant wait to get rid of the cables I currently have on my Logitech's.

http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-and-personal-audio/bluetooth-ipod-speakers/bluetooth-speakers/soundlink-mini-bluetooth-speaker/

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have the PaloAlto's Cubik Speakers and I'm happy with them.
cubik-1.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.