Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
How often does your yahoo or gmail get compromised and have spam sent from your address?

It's twice now I have had to reset my passwords.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
At times I've gotten email alerts from Google whenever I'd logged into my gmail account from a different IP address than usual. OP, are you receiving any alerts such as these?

YOu can review your recent activity and logins, etc. I think this is the URL to do so: https://security.google.com/settings/security/activity

You can also switch to a 2-step verification process for logins -- you (1) enter a password and then (2) send a code from your phone:

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/180744

Last edited:

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
How often does your yahoo or gmail get compromised and have spam sent from your address?

It's twice now I have had to reset my passwords.

Your account likely isn't being hacked. The from address is ridiculously easy to spoof, they're likely just spoofing your address to try to get around your spam filter.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Your account likely isn't being hacked. The from address is ridiculously easy to spoof, they're likely just spoofing your address to try to get around your spam filter.

To the extend that they actually send to existing contacts in my address book?

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
To the extend that they actually send to existing contacts in my address book?

Do you actually have copies of the spam messages sitting in your "sent" box on your gmail account? Or is someone just saying they received spam from your account?

If someone is claiming you sent them spam, get a copy of the message and look at the headers. The last "received" header will identify the server that received the mail and the machine the mail was received from. The other "received" headers will show the servers the message traveled though to reach the precipitant. So you should be able to figure out if the message was actually sent via your gmail account or not.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Do you actually have copies of the spam messages sitting in your "sent" box on your gmail account? Or is someone just saying they received spam from your account?

If someone is claiming you sent them spam, get a copy of the message and look at the headers. The last "received" header will identify the server that received the mail and the machine the mail was received from. The other "received" headers will show the servers the message traveled though to reach the precipitant. So you should be able to figure out if the message was actually sent via your gmail account or not.

Yes it's from those that received the spam from my address and forwarded copy to me. It doesn't appear in my sent box though. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.