Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 23, 2005, 04:59 PM   #1
Gordy
macrumors 6502a

IBook questions: Bluetooth dial up's , NZ Oz isp's as well.

Hi all

I'm the very proud owner of a 12in powerbook, but my parents are requiring a new laptop and I'm thinking about getting them a 12in ibook.

They are wanting a small highly portable laptop to take to new zealand / australia in january.

They plan to hook it up to a nokia mobile phone via bluetooth to let them send /recieve emails while they are out there.

Is this possible to do? If so how easy is it to run and what would they require to do this? Is a standard isp's dial up account ok or do I need to sort them out with gprs? Would there be any issues with taking a uk setup over to nz/oz?

How many mac stores are there about in nz/oz if they have any issues?

Any help advice would be most useful.
Thanks
Gordy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 07:20 PM   #2
varmit
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy
Hi all

I'm the very proud owner of a 12in powerbook, but my parents are requiring a new laptop and I'm thinking about getting them a 12in ibook.

They are wanting a small highly portable laptop to take to new zealand / australia in january.

They plan to hook it up to a nokia mobile phone via bluetooth to let them send /recieve emails while they are out there.

Is this possible to do? If so how easy is it to run and what would they require to do this? Is a standard isp's dial up account ok or do I need to sort them out with gprs? Would there be any issues with taking a uk setup over to nz/oz?

Any help advice would be most useful.
Thanks
First, they need to be sure that they get a cell phone that will work down there. Like the US is CDMA or GSM, where as the UK is just GPRS. So you have to match your phone to what is going to be down there in NZ, and also the carrier (Verizon, Cingular, I don't know the NZ carriers) And where the coverage areas are, since you most likely wont get a signal out in the country side.

Attached is a document on how I found out how to hook up my cell phone to my powerbook, and ibook when I used a extra bluetooth doggle, with the username and password needed to turn it into a modem. Depending how how tech swavy your parents are, they could do it themselves everytime they needed to connect. You can set it up for them before they leave, and they can use the phone as a modem.

Essentually, they will just use their minutes and it would be enough of a data connection to get emails sent and recieved.
varmit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 11:13 PM   #3
Nermal

First of all, data plans are EXPENSIVE here. If they're just going to be here for a month, it'd be cheaper to take out prepaid dialup, which starts at around $10/£4 (example). The problem there is with finding cards, I've personally never seen one, but then again I've never looked for them!

If you decide to go wireless, a UK Vodafone setup should work here. Vodafone UK may have to be notified in advance - we have to tell Vodafone NZ if we're taking our phone to certain countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy
There are AppleCentres in Auckland, Hamilton, Tauranga, Palmerston North, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin. In addition, there are third-party resellers around the place.

Last edited by Nermal; Dec 23, 2005 at 11:22 PM.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 03:55 AM   #4
Gordy
macrumors 6502a

Thanks both of you I will look at that document.

I was hoping to pick up an ibook today but I don't think my local mac store has stock.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 04:13 AM   #5
Gordy
macrumors 6502a

Yup damn they have no stock and don't expect to have any till after the expo in janurary.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 06:24 AM   #6
bgd
macrumors regular

You could always use WiFi hotpoints rather than a mobile dial up, where it is available. NZ is pretty advanced technically so I would assume (please correct me if I'm wrong) no shortage of connectivity in the main centres. There are also a large number of internet cafes everywhere.
bgd is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs