Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nkbish0p

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
Hi guys. Could someone with the 128gb Macbook Pro Retina please tell me how much of the 128gb drive is available for use by the user ie. how much space is left once the OS etc. is installed. Also I'm presuming the figure for the Macbook Air will be very similar?

Cheers.

mg84

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2013
I've got the 256Gb and it says 250Gb... probably won't be that much a difference between the 128 and 256...

raptor402

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2011
I've got the 256Gb and it says 250Gb... probably won't be that much a difference between the 128 and 256...

Well, that's weird. I'm pretty sure that the footprint of OS X is larger than that. I recall that the 128GB Air had around 95GB of available space. But then again, that was way back during the reign of Snow Leopard (Late 2010 MBA).

Regards
Raptor

EDIT: I'm running Mavericks on my mid-2010 15" MBP. My System's folder is 5.5GB and Library folder is 2.5GB. System applications should be another GB or so. But I suppose 250GB should be a close estimation.

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
Well, that's weird. I'm pretty sure that the footprint of OS X is larger than that. I recall that the 128GB Air had around 95GB of available space. But then again, that was way back during the reign of Snow Leopard (Late 2010 MBA).

Regards
Raptor

EDIT: I'm running Mavericks on my mid-2010 15" MBP. My System's folder is 5.5GB and Library folder is 2.5GB. System applications should be another GB or so. But I suppose 250GB should be a close estimation.

I think mg84 meant 250 GB is whats available after its formatted. Then subtract another 10 GB of so for the base system and core app installs.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi guys. Could someone with the 128gb Macbook Pro Retina please tell me how much of the 128gb drive is available for use by the user ie. how much space is left once the OS etc. is installed. Also I'm presuming the figure for the Macbook Air will be very similar?

Cheers.

Once the drive is formatted it will have about 120GB of usable space. Then a normal OS X install with iWorks and iLife apps added uses about 20GB. So the answer to your question is you will have about 100GB of user space left for your own files/data.

raptor402

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2011
I think mg84 meant 250 GB is whats available after its formatted. Then subtract another 10 GB of so for the base system and core app installs.

Right. I forgot the recovery partition. Also, OS X displays data size as decimal, so a 256GB SSD, which is actually 256 billion Bytes or roughly 232 Giga Bytes, remains 256GB.

So around 4GB for the recovery partition and, as noted above, 20GB for OS X + bundled application suites.

Last edited:

raptor402

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2011
Recovery partition is 650 mb unless you let Carbon Copy Cloner duplicate it for you then you end up with 784mb.

That's all? I'm surprised. I was pretty sure that it would be about the size of an OS X install disk/image. Nevertheless, around 100GB would be the answer the OP is looking for.

Raptor

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
That's all? I'm surprised. I was pretty sure that it would be about the size of an OS X install disk/image.
tuaw.com said:
The Recovery boot volume is read-only, and has a very limited set of files and features. You're actually running from the system image stored in BaseSystem.dmg, which gets mounted by the startup executables inside the com.apple.recovery.boot directory.
Source

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
That's all? I'm surprised. I was pretty sure that it would be about the size of an OS X install disk/image.

It is different than Windows systems that have the entire OS on a hidden partition. All the 650MB recovery partition has is some troubleshooting tools and a utility that allows download of the ~5GB OS from Apple's servers.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Well colour me surprised. I was clearly misinformed on this topic, having never really used the recovery partition.

Raptor

Really probably better off not using it. Apple's servers just plain suck for an internet recovery unless you enjoy looking at a progress screen for literally hours on end. I am on a fiber optic connection and that is what I end up with using it, so I gave up on that idea ever again now just use the usb installer I made if I ever need to reload/rescue a system.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
... having never really used the recovery partition.
Well, even if in no need to install OS from scratch, you might want to use it to check and repair your boot disk. Or restore a password.
Really probably better off not using it. Apple's servers just plain suck for an internet recovery unless you enjoy looking at a progress screen for literally hours on end.
They are actually Akamai's servers. I am on fiber too and have never experienced the pain you describe (well I never download new releases within first 24 rush hours obviously). The OS X install image (4..5GB) downloads within minutes.
But Akamai's distribution network is heavily spread geographically, AFAIK.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Really probably better off not using it. Apple's servers just plain suck for an internet recovery unless you enjoy looking at a progress screen for literally hours on end. I am on a fiber optic connection and that is what I end up with using it, so I gave up on that idea ever again now just use the usb installer I made if I ever need to reload/rescue a system.

It may be a regional problem where you live. I have always been able to completely saturate my 30Mbps connection with these updates. Heck, I even installed Mavericks on the afternoon it was released and got a full speed download.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
It may be a regional problem where you live. I have always been able to completely saturate my 30Mbps connection with these updates. Heck, I even installed Mavericks on the afternoon it was released and got a full speed download.

Apparently they could care less about Canada then I'm on 80mbs and lucky if any Apple update uses a tenth of the connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.