Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ntegra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2010
This is probably one of those cases where you "don't fix what's not broken" because I have no problems or complaints about my phone, but I'm just starting to wonder if it's time to upgrade my OS. I have a couple questions but first let me just list my devices. (Let me also state that I'm pretty happy with how things are at the moment, I just wish I could test out iOS7 with the ability to go back to 6.0.4 if I'm unhappy)

iPhone 5 / 6.0.4
AdBlocker
Bulletin (because I can easily view and swipe away notifications from my lockscreen)
BiteSMS (LOVE IT)
NCSettings (is this obsolete on iOS7?)
f.lux (LOVE IT).

iPad 4 / 6.0.4
Adblocker
Bulletin
f.lux
Icon Renamer (i dont like my apps to be named, just icons only)
NCsettings
Nitrous (do I need this for Safari and other apps?)
NowListening (displays what song is playing in a banner)
XBMC (LOVE IT)
Xcon (to bypass some apps that check for jailbreaks)

Questions!
-The App icons kind of make me cringe, do you guys find them ugly? Are you going to theme as soon as possible? (if anyone has f.lux on iOS7, how does it look at night? Still beautiful?)
-I hear the animations are slow, are they really that bad?
-How is stock iOS7 battery life compared to stock iOS6 battery life? I love my phone lasting 24 hours. I just hope battery life doesn't change much.
-Are notifications collapsible on the lock screen? This is one feature I like about the Bulletin tweak
-What information is available on the lockscreen?
-Any other major changes in iOS7 that are actually awesome coming from 6.0.x?

Totally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2012
West Coast = Best Coast
I'm in a sort of similar predicament to you. I had a 6.0.2 jailbroken iphone 5, but I broke it, so I was given a 6.1.4 from apple. I really would like to try iOS 7, but I don't wanna be stuck on it. So I'm thinking of waiting for the 6.1.4 jailbreak...

Netherscourge

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
The current iOS 7.0.4 is obviously exploitable.

If you want iOS7 features and the ability to JB, go for 7.0.4. But don't wait too long. Apple will most certainly patch up to 7.0.5 and stop signing 7.0.4 in a matter of weeks, if not days.

But, if you're happy on iOS6 JB, then don't bother.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I generally wait out at least the first few days of any JB, then start with my least important device. So later this week, I'll probably update my iPhone 4 (being used basically as an iPod now) and then JB that. My iPhone 5 and iPad Mini are in daily use & pretty stable on 6.1.2, so I'm in no real rush to update them just yet.

I'd like to hold out until theming works consistently (without show stopping bugs) and at least one dark theme is available, but realistically Apple may close the window on this JB before themers get that far. Not looking forward to the My Little Pony candy puke UI that iOS 7 provides, that's for sure! But I'm starting to run into app upgrade issues that require iOS 7.+

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
I generally wait out at least the first few days of any JB, then start with my least important device. So later this week, I'll probably update my iPhone 4 (being used basically as an iPod now) and then JB that. My iPhone 5 and iPad Mini are in daily use & pretty stable on 6.1.2, so I'm in no real rush to update them just yet.

I'd like to hold out until theming works consistently (without show stopping bugs) and at least one dark theme is available, but realistically Apple may close the window on this JB before themers get that far. Not looking forward to the My Little Pony candy puke UI that iOS 7 provides, that's for sure! But I'm starting to run into app upgrade issues that require iOS 7.+

same exact problem with iOS 7. there is too much white!

rak007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
But I'm starting to run into app upgrade issues that require iOS 7.+

I am on iOS 5.1.1 (yeah old i know) and have a stable jailbreak. I wish to update to iOS 7.0.4 as i too have started to run into app upgrade issues. But i have everything working fine on my primary 4S so much that I get paranoid thinking about losing all those tweaks.
I am also waiting but then have a fear that Apple will close the window of 7.0.4 and future iOS 7 versions would be non jailbreakable.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Currently have iOS 6.1.2. Same boat as you as I have my iPhone 5 exactly the way I like it right now, as far as all the jailbreak tweaks I have installed, with the exception that I really want to get iOS 7 on there. However, I absolutely need need NEED Activator. GraviBoard, while not really necessary, is very desired as it was not working for a while. Oh, and I need Snes9x on my phone/ipad. I heard SwipeSelection works, which I have grown literally attached to, and cannot imagine life without it anymore.

ntegra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2010
Currently have iOS 6.1.2. Same boat as you as I have my iPhone 5 exactly the way I like it right now, as far as all the jailbreak tweaks I have installed, with the exception that I really want to get iOS 7 on there. However, I absolutely need need NEED Activator. GraviBoard, while not really necessary, is very desired as it was not working for a while. Oh, and I need Snes9x on my phone/ipad. I heard SwipeSelection works, which I have grown literally attached to, and cannot imagine life without it anymore.

I liked swipe selection but I was such a quick typer I would set it off by accident and catch myself typing inside my previous words. I've narrowed my phone down to a few tweaks and its balanced my battery life to almost stock, it's practically perfect. I just can't upgrade to ios7 simply because of how it looks. I'm still on the fence.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Nope got it on the release day for my iPhone 4 and iPad 3. I looked at iOS 7 every day all summer to just cuz I liked the way it looked and I don't care what people say I love the look. Nothing to be scared of.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
I liked swipe selection but I was such a quick typer I would set it off by accident and catch myself typing inside my previous words. I've narrowed my phone down to a few tweaks and its balanced my battery life to almost stock, it's practically perfect. I just can't upgrade to ios7 simply because of how it looks. I'm still on the fence.

Conversely, I love the iOS 7 interface! I just made the jump this weekend, but I'm finding a lot of tweaks I've installed from Cydia don't seem to work well on my 3rd gen iPad. :(

SwipeSelection does not work, Activator 1.8.1 opens but does not work, 1.8.2 rc1 freezes when I open it, and Graviboard doesn't even show up in my Settings app. Otherwise, I'm loving exploring the new interface and app rework. Snes9x Ex+ and another Snes emu are the otnly apps I can seem to get working though, but I really miss my SwipeSelection and Activator! Sent from my iPad.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
For those of us on a 5S, there's nothing scary about the new jailbreak, because virtually none of the JB tweaks or apps work, since there is no mobile substrate for us yet, and no ETA for its arrival. So, the CYDIA icon sits on the screen, sticking its tongue out at us. :D

P!kN!mO

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2011
Updating firmwares is like a love(GF) of our life...and there are times, that we need to let them go and Move on...then open our lonely hearts for a new one!
And then in time we will learn to love her....but, we don't tie the knot!:)

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
Updating firmwares is like a love(GF) of our life...and there are times, that we need to let them go and Move on...then open our lonely hearts for a new one!
And then in time we will learn to love her....but, we don't tie the knot!:)

Or it's just software. ;)

plainwhitetay

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
North-east, Indiana
I'm waiting on the iPhone 5 6.1.4 jailbreak because I hate iOS 7. I had my perfect setup on 6.1.2, (which included most of iOS 7's "new features"). I tried the iOS 7 betas and really tried to like it. Never did. The only bummer is within a few months, all the new apps will probably be iOS 7 only.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
-The App icons kind of make me cringe, do you guys find them ugly? Are you going to theme as soon as possible? (if anyone has f.lux on iOS7, how does it look at night? Still beautiful?)

I think the icons look fine. I hated them at first, but now I don't even notice.

F.lux works great. It's pretty much the only reason I jailbreak.

-I hear the animations are slow, are they really that bad?

I guess they're kind of slow. It doesn't exactly hinder usage in my case, but it does bother some people.

-How is stock iOS7 battery life compared to stock iOS6 battery life? I love my phone lasting 24 hours. I just hope battery life doesn't change much.

Battery life on iOS 7 is not as good as battery life on iOS 6.1.4. I'm not sure how it compares to 6.0.4, but I remember having issues with iOS 6 battery life until they released 6.1.x.

-Are notifications collapsible on the lock screen? This is one feature I like about the Bulletin tweak

I'm not sure about this. Maybe someone else can chime in.

-What information is available on the lockscreen?

Notification center and control center are both accessible from the lock screen, so anything you'd find in there. Plus the normal lock screen notifications.

-Any other major changes in iOS7 that are actually awesome coming from 6.0.x?

I'm not sure if you're asking about major changes in iOS itself, or major changes regarding the jailbreak. I don't have much availble to me right now because mobile substrate isn't functioning on the 5s due to the 64 bit processor.

• Control center is pretty awesome.
  • Spotlight search no longer has its own "page," you get to it through a gesture.
  • The updated task switcher works a lot like Auxo

I mainly run iOS 7 because it is the only iOS that will work on my 5s. Either way, I don't have a problem with it and installed it on my iPad mini as well.

P!kN!mO

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2011
Or it's just software. ;)

Exactly! ;)...i am still in 6.1 with no problems, but preparing my iDevice for 7.0.4JB.; it's time for me to move on...and wait for a sexy lady(Themes&Tweaks) to come by..:

caribsa

macrumors regular
May 11, 2013
I'm on 6.1.2 on an iPad 4. The first and only Apple product I own. I've never seen IOS 7.0 outside of images and videos posted on the net. I don't know if I should stay on 6.1.2 or upgrade to 7.0.4

I'm also reading how 7.1 is much better and probably if a jailbreak is available for it, I would definitely update without hesitation. I hope I'm not making a mistake staying put on 6.1.2

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Upgraded my iPod Touch 5 to iOS 7 and immediately liked the change.

My iPad 2 was starting to stutter (which made me wonder if Apple was giving me gentle hints), so I bit the bullet and updated it to iOS 7.0.4. Like the iOS even more on the bigger screen and it now runs very smoothly.

The most awesome moment for me, as a user of iTunes cards, was when I went to add a $25 card to my account. Rather than having to key in that long string of numbers of letters, I was asked if I'd like to use the camera to redeem. Chose that option, aimed the camera at the card, and bingo! It latched on to the numbers (turning them green on my screen), and instantly added the $25 to my account.

For whatever reason, the iOS 7 update turns on Bluetooth. I turned it off and have seen no real difference in battery life on either device.

Totally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2012
West Coast = Best Coast
I wasn't going to upgrade to iOS 7, but then it was discovered how to make iOS 7.1b2 not expire (hopefully). So I upgraded.

It's taking a while to get used to the new icons, and it seems like the battery life is a little less. BUT once apps and tweaks are optimized for iOS 7 instead of iOS 6, I think I will be happy I upgraded. Eventually iOS 6 won't even be supported, and iOS 7 still will...

confucious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2010
Woking, UK
I wasn't going to upgrade to iOS 7, but then it was discovered how to make iOS 7.1b2 not expire (hopefully). So I upgraded.

It's taking a while to get used to the new icons, and it seems like the battery life is a little less. BUT once apps and tweaks are optimized for iOS 7 instead of iOS 6, I think I will be happy I upgraded. Eventually iOS 6 won't even be supported, and iOS 7 still will...

Why have you upgraded to a beta?
Not sure why people want to extend the life of a beta as a newer beta or a release version will be out before the expiration date.

Totally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2012
West Coast = Best Coast
Why have you upgraded to a beta?
Not sure why people want to extend the life of a beta as a newer beta or a release version will be out before the expiration date.

My logic is because the next beta will likely not be jailbreakable if apple makes a patch. iOS 7.1 will certainly not be if apple has any brains.

So I was debating between 6.1.4 vs 7.0.4 vs 7.1b2 to keep for the long haul... and I took in what everyone said and my opinions about all 3 softwares, and decided that for me iOS 7.1b2 was the right choice. They all have their pros and cons which I could elaborate on, but it would turn into an essay lol.

So far I have had 0 problems with it (granted it has only been a day). And at this point, I'm happy with my decision.

confucious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2010
Woking, UK
My logic is because the next beta will likely not be jailbreakable if apple makes a patch. iOS 7.1 will certainly not be if apple has any brains.

So I was debating between 6.1.4 vs 7.0.4 vs 7.1b2 to keep for the long haul... and I took in what everyone said and my opinions about all 3 softwares, and decided that for me iOS 7.1b2 was the right choice. They all have their pros and cons which I could elaborate on, but it would turn into an essay lol.

So far I have had 0 problems with it (granted it has only been a day). And at this point, I'm happy with my decision.

A very strange choice IMHO

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.