Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Hey guys, i'm up and running on my i5 Dual Core Mini I purchased from Amazon. I did a clean install of Mavericks, much prefer that over ML. It's been awhile since i've used a Mac (2008) and can't believe the similarities between OS X and Linux including some UI designs so dabbling in Linux helped me get back up to speed real quick.

I don't plan on using ML so should I delete the hidden partition? If so what utility should I use other than Disk Utility? Disk Util doesn't let me access the 1.2 GB partition that I believe is reserved for the ML restore image.

I gotta add that using the Apple Wireless keyboard and Apple Magic TrackPad adds to the experience. The only negative about the wireless keyboard is when you need to install OS X from a USB flash drive and you need the option key. The bluetooth keyboard is syncing while you need the option key. I had to use a USB keyboard to allow me to install Mavs.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I did a clean install of Mavericks, much prefer that over ML.

I don't plan on using ML so should I delete the hidden partition?
Don't delete it. The hidden partition is recovery tools and was updated when you installed Mavericks. It does not contain a system image - it's only recovery tools, one of which is reinstalling OS X over the internet.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Don't delete it. The hidden partition is recovery tools and was updated when you installed Mavericks. It does not contain a system image - it's only recovery tools, one of which is reinstalling OS X over the internet.

Ooh thanks ! :)

Do I qualify for Numbers and Pages (free) on my Mini or was that just for the MBP crowd? I went to the App Store and they show $19.99 each

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
You should qualify, I bought a new MBP recently, but when I upgraded to Mavericks it didn't show them being free for me either. But then it was free when installed.

What you do, if you're paranoid, is remove your credit card info from your Apple id, and then install it. If they're not free, they won't install because you can't pay. (unless you have some iTunes credit on your account, then that could be charged).

Rodster

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2007
You should qualify, I bought a new MBP recently, but when I upgraded to Mavericks it didn't show them being free for me either. But then it was free when installed.

What you do, if you're paranoid, is remove your credit card info from your Apple id, and then install it. If they're not free, they won't install because you can't pay. (unless you have some iTunes credit on your account, then that could be charged).

I don't have my CC linked but I do have some App Store credit which could be charged if i'm not careful.

scbond

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2010
Nottingham, UK
Ooh thanks ! :)

Do I qualify for Numbers and Pages (free) on my Mini or was that just for the MBP crowd? I went to the App Store and they show $19.99 each

As said, you should be. The promotion applied to new Macs and was also free to those that purchased iWork '09 on the App Store.

If you ever used iWork '09 before, or the version before that when you last had a Mac, then you may not like the latest version.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2007
I just wanted to post an update in case anyone else runs into this issue. Since i'm just getting back into the Mac fold apparantly I missed a few crucial steps. When I first installed my OS I signed in with my Apple ID. I thought by signing in with my ID it would sync all of my accounts (iTunes, App Store). Well it doesn't, so my bad.

I had to sign into iTunes and the App Store. Once I did that I saw that Numbers, Pages and Keynote went from $19.99 to free. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.