Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rainalkar

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2013
In Windows 7, bootcamp, I need to slide downwards on the trackpad to scroll the page down, but that is opposite of the OSX, and feels unnatural. How do I reverse it? I tried Trackpad++ - awful, I don't recommend it. I would rather, if possible, avoid 3rd party tools. I read somewhere that it is possible to do it in registry, but I don't know how, and don't want to mess something up.

Less important, is there any way to make the scroll smooth in Chrome in Windows as it is in Safari in OSX, and,

What do you recommend that I use for text selection? Click and hold is VERY cumbersome. Is there another option? I use tap for clicking.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Open up the system preferences, click on the track pad.
System%20Preferences.png

Click on the Scroll & zoom tab and deselect the Scroll Direction:nature
Trackpad_scroll.png

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Here's an OT but related question I was just wondering about. When I got my MBA (with 10.7) a couple years ago the default scroll direction really bothered me since it seemed backwards. In the meantime, I've gotten used to it.

But just today I started using my old 15" Macbook Pro running 10.5.8 to rip some DVD's and now scrolling seems backwards on it. :p But looking at the preferences under 10.5.8, there doesn't seem to be an option to change scroll direction. Am I missing something?

Seems odd that Apple would change the default scroll direction on newer versions of MacOSX. When did they make that change? 10.6 maybe?

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
Coming from a PC years ago, I felt that the scrolling in the trackpad reversed when Apple launched OS X 10.7. Then trackpad makers for Windows started copying OS X "natural scrolling" with Windows 8 lol. To me, the reversed trackpad scrolling only works on touch screens.

To the OP, just dig in to bootcamp mouse settings on the system tray / control panel and hopefully you'll find the reverse scrolling option there.

As for Chrome, the devs spends more resources on improving Chrome for Windows than on the Mac so that's why Chrome scrolling in Mac is a bit worse but not enough to distract me. If you tried MS IE 11, you'll be even more surprised on how smooth it is (it's on par with an iPad IMO).

Last edited:

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
As for Chrome, the devs spends more resources on improving Chrome for Windows than on the Mac so that's why Chrome scrolling in Mac is a bit worse but not enough to distract me. If you tried MS IE 11, you'll be even more surprised on how smooth it is (it's on par with an iPad IMO).

He's saying the opposite I believe, that he wants to make the scrolling in Windows Chrome as smooth as in OS X Chrome

There are Chrome extensions to scroll web pages smoothly, but it doesn't really feel as nice as the way OS X smooth scrolling which comes right out of the box. For whatever reason, Windows doesn't care about smooth scrolling at all while OS X prioritizes it by utilizing it system wide. One of my favorite things about OS X

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
He's saying the opposite I believe, that he wants to make the scrolling in Windows Chrome as smooth as in OS X Chrome

There are Chrome extensions to scroll web pages smoothly, but it doesn't really feel as nice as the way OS X smooth scrolling which comes right out of the box. For whatever reason, Windows doesn't care about smooth scrolling at all while OS X prioritizes it by utilizing it system wide. One of my favorite things about OS X

Oh I see. So the OP wants the scrolling like we get on ipads where the page still scrolls until it slows down to a stop. That's Chrome's problem for Windows though. I've played with IE 11 on tablets and all in ones and they behave the same as OS X chrome scrolling or iPad's safari scrolling. Then again, IE has more root access for hardware acceleration and MS devs clearly optimized IE for touch and smooth scrolling. IE still loads webpages much slower than Chrome though, but once everything is loaded, IE beats Chrome (Windows/Bootcamp) in scrolling performance at least on my MBA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.