Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Dec 23, 2005, 10:18 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Detailed MacWorld Predictions

Category: Mac Websites
Link: Detailed MacWorld Predictions

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Dec 23, 2005, 10:40 PM   #2
Daveway
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Daveway
-Powerbooks are a no go for MWSF, that can be guaranteed.
-Aperture Express, meh, I don't think so. To niche' and new.
-Mac minis having DVR would most likely not use Yonah, but would more likely use viiv, which is for multimedia.
-the article failed to mention any surprises. There's always something that is a total surprise that was never even rumored.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 11:40 PM   #3
runninmac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveway
-Mac minis having DVR would most likely not use Yonah, but would more likely use viiv, which is for multimedia.
I thought VIIV was just Yonahs with special multimedia purposes?

Either way Im not to big of a fan of the article. It seemed they were either to confident in what they were saying or not confident enough.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 11:50 PM   #4
Nermal

Quote:
Moving onto the hot stuff now, the Mac mini was first introduced one year ago at MWSF 2005 and has seen a similar success as the iPod shuffle, switching hundreds of PC users to the Mac platform.
I seriously hope it helped switch more than hundreds!
Nermal is offline   0
Old Dec 23, 2005, 11:54 PM   #5
runninmac
macrumors 65816

Thats what I was hoping to... for a multi-billion dollar company 100's isn't much to be bragging about.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 12:00 AM   #6
Daveway
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by runninmac
Thats what I was hoping to... for a multi-billion dollar company 100's isn't much to be bragging about.
So the article WAS a bit exaggerated. The iPod shuffle comments were a bit bloated as well.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 12:22 AM   #7
ibjoshua
macrumors 6502a

nice enough round-up

I thought it was a quite nicely rounded article. A big surpise isn't really a big surprise if it's rumoured before hand is it?

I could see those Nanos getting a boost to make room for bigger Shuffles.

I'm not sure about all these predictions of iBooks before Powerbooks. That just doesn't make sense and neither do Mac Minis before Power Macs or iMacs. They don't usually pioneer new processors with the low end machines. Where did the G3, G4 and G5 processors go first?

This MacWorld looks like it will be fun.

ibjoshua

Last edited by ibjoshua; Dec 24, 2005 at 12:34 AM.
ibjoshua is offline   0
Old Dec 24, 2005, 12:24 AM   #8
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by runninmac
I thought VIIV was just Yonahs with special multimedia purposes?
It's not even that! It's a set of minimum hardware and software requirements that should play nice with WinXP Media Center and some new Intel services. Several CPUs and chipsets will qualify for the branding. Macs, even if they carried all the same chips, probably wouldn't get the Viiv name because of the different operating system.
iMeowbot is offline   0
Old Dec 24, 2005, 12:37 AM   #9
ibjoshua
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMeowbot
It's not even that! It's a set of minimum hardware and software requirements that should play nice with WinXP Media Center and some new Intel services. Several CPUs and chipsets will qualify for the branding. Macs, even if they carried all the same chips, probably wouldn't get the Viiv name because of the different operating system.
Yeah. It's had a lot of press on the Mac net but it seems the more I read the more it looks like viiv is a bit of a red herring for us. Apple already has a pretty workable multimedia framework with iLife and Bonjour etc.

Of course we don't have DVR hardware or software yet but I'm sure they'd roll out pretty painlessly onto Macs if Apple so wished.

ibjoshua

Last edited by Nermal; Dec 24, 2005 at 12:47 AM. Reason: merge
ibjoshua is offline   0
Old Dec 24, 2005, 01:05 AM   #10
Daveway
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjoshua
...if Apple so wished.
Those eternal words are what we hinge on.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 01:28 AM   #11
Koodauw
macrumors 68040

I would just like a dual-core processor of some sorts in the portables, that and hopefully the Front Row remote will be bluetooth. Adding a IR receiver to a notebook seems a bit silly. ( I hate cords.)
Koodauw is offline   0
Old Dec 24, 2005, 06:27 AM   #12
Jalexster
macrumors 6502a

For those who are confused as to what VIIV is, it's just a standard for HTPCs. Basically, a hardware standard to conform to, so all DVR hardware, works with all DVR software.

It's not a processor type. It's a hardware standard like Centrino.
Jalexster is offline   0
Old Dec 24, 2005, 06:44 AM   #13
aswitcher
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to aswitcher
An iSight with an IR receiver and remote to use Front Row would be a nice item to have.

iLife 06 with Delicious Monster and International support would rock.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 07:14 AM   #14
Fender2112
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Fender2112
This years surprise announcement will be Apple's foray into the soft drink market. In an effort to unseat Coke and Pepsi, Apple will release its own brand of soda called Apple Juice. It will be a clear citrus drink similar to Mountain Dew or Mello Yello. It will contain twice the caffeine and come packaged in a pure white bottle with a green cap.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 07:19 AM   #15
BlizzardBomb
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjoshua
I thought it was a quite nicely rounded article. A big surpise isn't really a big surprise if it's rumoured before hand is it?

I could see those Nanos getting a boost to make room for bigger Shuffles.

I'm not sure about all these predictions of iBooks before Powerbooks. That just doesn't make sense and neither do Mac Minis before Power Macs or iMacs. They don't usually pioneer new processors with the low end machines. Where did the G3, G4 and G5 processors go first?

This MacWorld looks like it will be fun.

ibjoshua
I agree, it was a good round-up article, although it was telling us things we already knew (but that's what round-ups are for anyway).
Old Dec 24, 2005, 09:10 AM   #16
iDM
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to iDM
I think his assessment on the shuffles was a tad to extreme in the arguement against updates. His arguement that a 2gb would be in competition or cause consumer confusion is true, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't up the nano does it? After reading his first assessment althought I agreed with some other things he lost alot of credibility in my book.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 09:44 AM   #17
Yvan256
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBytes
Detailed MacWorld Predictions
First prediction: websites will continue on using fonts that are too small to read.

(and yes, I know about [Windows]+[+]... not sure what key it really is, I'm using my good old IBM keyboard).
Yvan256 is offline   0
Old Dec 24, 2005, 10:02 AM   #18
Peace
macrumors P6

I said it b4 and I'll say it again..
The one thing they didn't mention that "could" be a surprise.But not a big one is the new iPod'ish remote control iPhone.
AND...

http://www.vingle.com
Old Dec 24, 2005, 11:02 AM   #19
Platform
macrumors 68030

Quote:
“The new Mac mini will feature the new Yonah processor, two different speeds will be available, 1.66Ghz and 1.50GHz single core low voltage and the possibility of a higher tier Yonah at 1.66Ghz but featuring dual cores.”
This is nice.....
Old Dec 24, 2005, 12:51 PM   #20
TomSmithMacEd
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to TomSmithMacEd
They could easily move the Nano up to 4gb and 6gb...

I remember two years ago they switched the 3rd Gen iPod from 10-20gb during the holiday season to 15-30gb at Macworld.
http://www.xanga.com/erikmyxter
Looking for a powerbook.
TomSmithMacEd is offline   0
Old Dec 24, 2005, 01:49 PM   #21
Silencio
macrumors 68000

How can any Apple product released/announced in January possibly have a single-core Yonah? Those CPUs won't be released by Intel until March or April.

I think there will be enough differentiation performance-wise for the Mac mini, iBook, and Powerbook to all sport dual-core Yonahs within the next few months. The only question is whether Apple's price points are supported by those parts, though IIRC the single-core Yonahs really don't cost much less than their dual-core counterparts.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 02:09 PM   #22
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

A replacement for the shuffle is a no brainer, since the current 1 GB model has been discontinued (they call it "out of stock" but are no longer taking orders).

Some kind of Macintel for early adopters will be announced and shipped not too long afterward. The box will adopt superficial but attention-grabbing changes from the current Mac mini in an effort to make clones from AOpen and friends look old. More mainstream Macintel vaporware may be announced for shipment later in the year.

iWork needs an update badly. It's dangling out there unfinished and unable to fill in for Appleworks, which hasn't been getting any love from Apple either.

iLife was bloated up with features over the past few updates, now it needs to be made fast enough. But that won't happen, we'll see new and improved bloat.

Jobs will issue a blanket refund for Aperture and a free coupon for Photoshop after admitting that it really was just a reskinned iPhoto, an office bet to see how gullible Apple customers really are.
iMeowbot is offline   0
Old Dec 24, 2005, 03:10 PM   #23
Randall
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencio
How can any Apple product released/announced in January possibly have a single-core Yonah? Those CPUs won't be released by Intel until March or April.
Bingo, they can't. Whoever is assuming that will be sorely dissappointed when they discover the facts. Single core Yonah's aren't slated until April at the absolute earliest. And it seems to me that the dual core Yonah will be signifigently more expensive to produce then the G4. Which stands to reason that we will not see dual core Yonah chips inside the iBook, unless you want to be paying Powerbook prices.
Randall is offline   0
Old Dec 24, 2005, 03:13 PM   #24
Randall
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveway
-Powerbooks are a no go for MWSF, that can be guaranteed.
We'll see in a few weeks won't we... You can forget about dual core Yonah's showing up in the iBook line, unless Apple wants to endure an entire year's worth of canabalized PowerBook sales (the Merom dual core 64-bit processor won't be out until the end of 2006).
Randall is offline   0
Old Dec 24, 2005, 03:26 PM   #25
Randall
macrumors 6502a

You know people... I find it hard to believe that after Apple "dropped the bombshell" this June, that they won't have a signifigent amount of Apple hardware running x86 this January. I don't see why anyone would count out seeing an intel based iBook, Mac Mini, and yes even the PowerBook. Everything G4 must go. Sure it's a big risk to switch over the "power" line so early on. But it's an even bigger risk for Apple to switch their entire hardware architecture anyway. The G4 has festered long enough. I say fsck it! Bring out the intel Macs now, before the people get restless.

With the big news out, I can't imagine any power users in the know buying old G4 based Powerbooks anyway, knowing that the switch is imminent. So PowerBook sales will drop regardless UNLESS they throw in a dual core Yonah NOW.
Randall is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion