Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andy Ftw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
Hi, I'm posting this on behalf of my brother but he has a recently purchased iPhone 4 second hand which was working fine for a month or two but suddenly this weird phenomenon has started occurring where the colours of the screen would all change to light pastel like colours.

It predominately happens when using the camera app but has occurred just scrolling through the homescreen. Sometimes it would cause the phone to lock up and go to sleep. But waiting about 10 seconds and simply waking it again would fix the problem.

We've tried to restore and set up as a new and the problem persists implying it must be a hardware fault somewhere. I couldn't find anyone with a similar issue anywhere (maybe cause I'm rubbish at describing it) but you can see what happens from the picture! Anyone have any suggestions or even a diagnosis? I suspect an Apple store visit is in order soon though!

i1ya.JPG

Merry christmas :) thanks

MartinLindberg

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2014
Cause found?

Hello

I have exactly the same problem with my IPhone 4. Have you found out what in the cause to this problem?

Regards,
Martin

Jim1973

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2015
I have the exact same problem with my iphone 4. Please could either of you tell me if you resolved it? Many thanks.

Jim1973

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2015
Thanks for such a quick reply. Looks like I need a new screen then. Strange that it only really seems to do it when you I access the camera app. I was sure it was a software issue but a full restore has not resolved it.

MartinLindberg

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2014
It was the same for me. Sometimes it got weird in others app (or start menu), but when opening the camera app it always changed to the weird look.

Now I remember that they actually also changed the camera, or some part of the camera, when the screen was changed. They did so with no additional cost to the 50 €. I don't know whether they exactly knew, what was the problem, but at least it has been working fine since these hardware changes were made (now more than half a year ago). :)

/Martin

Jim1973

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2015
Thanks Martin, that's good enough for me. I've ordered a new screen so I'll fit that and see what happens. Bought this iphone 4 as a spare phone (got a galaxy S4 as my main phone) but am so impressed by Apple phones as even a 5 year old iphone is so easy and rewarding to use. There is just something about iphones!

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my query.

Jim

Jim1973

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2015
Update: changed the camera first just in case and no difference so I bit the bullet and changed the screen and now works perfectly. So thanks again for the advice on here, much appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.