Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pazaakshark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2013
Hello everyone, not too sure where to post this but I have a question for those with good LAN networking experience.

My Mac is upstairs in my room and my Airport downstairs, I want to be able to get ethernet speeds from upstairs. Now my question is:

if I were to get another airport and have it in my room (using it to extend the signal from downstairs) and had that connected via ethernet to my Mac, would I get ethernet speeds, or would it still be wireless due to the signal from original airport wirelessly transferring to the second airport?

If so any other suggestions?

Thanks! :)

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Hello everyone, not too sure where to post this but I have a question for those with good LAN networking experience.

My Mac is upstairs in my room and my Airport downstairs, I want to be able to get ethernet speeds from upstairs. Now my question is:

if I were to get another airport and have it in my room (using it to extend the signal from downstairs) and had that connected via ethernet to my Mac, would I get ethernet speeds, or would it still be wireless due to the signal from original airport wirelessly transferring to the second airport?

Direct cable connection is really the only way to get full speed, wireless just does not do it probably never will.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Why woud you expect that an AirPort router will get better wifi reception upstairs, than your Mac currently does?
Where do you hope the signal improvement suddenly come from?

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Sounds like he was hoping the 2nd base would have a better antenna than the Mac.

I have an upstairs base and had worse signal downstairs in a corner room. The signal was going diagonal, through a wall, then the floor (two obstacles). Adding a 2nd base upstairs above the corner room as a repeater - each 'step' now goes through only one obstacle and speeds are much improved. If your base is already directly below the Mac, this would not help.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013

What do you mean by 'ethernet'? 100 or Gigabit? Also what 'AirPort do you have? because the Extreme or TC runs at Gigabit while the Express only connects via ethernet at 100. I find wifi on my Macs over a reasonably good connection is faster than 100 because the WiFi transmit rate is often 300-450 Mbps (depending on the Mac).

You left out too many details.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
The bigger question, is there something internal on your network that you need "ethernet speeds" to connect to? For most home internet connections WiFi speed is more than enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.