Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Dec 24, 2013, 06:16 PM   #1
balamw

MOD NOTE: Posts having to do with the haves and have-nots, and socio-economic theories have been moved from the Mac Pro arriving thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1688285

B

Last edited by balamw; Dec 24, 2013 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Thread PRSI spin off
balamw is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2013, 06:16 PM   #2
iabacus
macrumors member

Mac Pro Xmas PRSI spin off

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendu View Post
If you spent over $3000 on iOS devices then in my book you are rich.
Agreed!

At least 80% of humanity lives on less than $10 a day.

Think about that as kids are violently unwrapping ios devices in the morning.

Merry X-mas!
iabacus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2013, 06:30 PM   #3
nickcliborne
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iabacus View Post
Agreed!

At least 80% of humanity lives on less than $10 a day.

Think about that as kids are violently unwrapping ios devices in the morning.

Merry X-mas!
Yup Americans should feel guilty about everyone else living at a much lower standard than us
nickcliborne is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2013, 06:36 PM   #4
LordVic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcliborne View Post
Yup Americans should feel guilty about everyone else living at a much lower standard than us
i dont think they should feel guilty.

however.

they should at least be cognisant of others life situations compared to their own.

Christmas is supposed to be the time of giving and love for everyone. "**** you starving kid in Africa, i got my mac pro, so you're plight is irrelevant" is not the best attitude to take to endear yourself to anyone.

And as a non American... thats the kind of stereotype that is typically aimed at americans. Self centred people who are more impressed by their own financial wealth than that of giving and ensuring everyon'es well being.

don't play into that stereotype. it's not cool.

now we're just off topic though.

as the guy below me said...
Old Dec 24, 2013, 06:37 PM   #5
brendu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Not guilty, thankful.
brendu is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2013, 06:42 PM   #6
osofast240sx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
If you spent over $3000 on iOS devices then in my book you are rich.
Depends on who you compare me to. A semi pro DLSR will run u well over 3k
osofast240sx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2013, 07:02 PM   #7
smulji
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordVic View Post

however.

they should at least be cognisant of others life situations compared to their own.

Christmas is supposed to be the time of giving and love for everyone. "**** you starving kid in Africa, i got my mac pro, so you're plight is irrelevant" is not the best attitude to take to endear yourself to anyone.

And as a non American... thats the kind of stereotype that is typically aimed at americans. Self centred people who are more impressed by their own financial wealth than that of giving and ensuring everyon'es well being.

maybe that's because most americans feel you should be independent, stand on your two feet and be responsible for your own well being instead of looking for handouts.
smulji is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2013, 07:21 PM   #8
mejsric
macrumors regular

You will never be rich if you hate rich.
mejsric is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2013, 07:28 PM   #9
smulji
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejsric View Post
You will never be rich if you hate rich.
ain't that the truth.
smulji is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2013, 07:32 PM   #10
LordVic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by smulji View Post
maybe that's because most americans feel you should be independent, stand on your two feet and be responsible for your own well being instead of looking for handouts.
while I agree on this premise,

its an impossible thoery. it doesn't take into account socio-economic factors that are completely outside the controls of any one individual. and while there are very few success stories of exceptional individuals who break outside their status, the most of the population not only wont, they can't.

its the strict adherance to the premise you say that gives the impression that americans are cold hearted inconsiderate bastards who would squish anyone else just for themselves.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 07:41 PM   #11
kfscoll
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordVic View Post

however.

Get a grip. No one said anything remotely like "**** you starving kid in Africa, i got my mac pro, so you're plight is irrelevant." I'm not sure why you even brought something like that up. So the guy is excited about getting his Mac Pro; there's nothing wrong with that and no reason to try to make him feel guilty about his purchase. Seems to me like you're jealous and just trying to lash out.

This is an Apple rumors site, not a solve-world-hunger site. I'm not sure why you seem surprised to find someone here excited about receiving their brand new (and yes, expensive) computer. I know I can't wait until my nMP shows up!

Last edited by kfscoll; Dec 24, 2013 at 07:46 PM.
kfscoll is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2013, 09:49 PM   #12
bushido
macrumors 603

ugh one of those rare situations where it sucks to be a student

enjoy that beast
bushido is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2013, 09:50 PM   #13
BillyTrimble
macrumors member

Quote:
And anyone who buys one for personal use I would call rich (and foolish) too.
Just because you aren't smart enough to have a job with a good income, you shouldn't denigrate those who have money. I'm buying and fully loaded MacPro for personal use. I may be foolish, but I'm not jealous or poor or ignorant as you are.

While in general personal attacks are frowned upon, they should be most welcome when someone like you makes an absurd personal attack on others.

Have a nice day. Let me know if you need a few bucks for a McDonald's burger.
BillyTrimble is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2013, 10:04 PM   #14
chrisbru
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTrimble View Post
Just because you aren't smart enough to have a job with a good income, you shouldn't denigrate those who have money. I'm buying and fully loaded MacPro for personal use. I may be foolish, but I'm not jealous or poor or ignorant as you are.

While in general personal attacks are frowned upon, they should be most welcome when someone like you makes an absurd personal attack on others.

Have a nice day. Let me know if you need a few bucks for a McDonald's burger.

Since you love to flaunt your wealth, I'd take a few (thousand) for the loans I have from college.
chrisbru is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2013, 10:19 PM   #15
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwildcat9 View Post
littleboy... I work 60 hours a week at my computer developing iOS apps, don't hate! I am not rich

-Tom
I get the same crap all the time from my friends. Yes, I have a job that not anyone could do and so I get paid more than you. No, that doesn't make me rich (I'm still $10K in debt from student loans... hoping to be debt free for the first time in 3 years by mid 2014...)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
ugh one of those rare situations where it sucks to be a student

enjoy that beast
...?

When does being a student not suck? Nothing sucks more than being a student - you have to pay tons of money to work hard, versus being employed where you get paid for working hard.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbru View Post
Since you love to flaunt your wealth, I'd take a few (thousand) for the loans I have from college.
Didn't you get a job to cover those loans? Or are you one of those people who thought, when you heard you should go to college, that anyone seriously thinks you should get a non-STEM* degree?

*There are non-STEM degrees worth getting, but STEM groups most of the degrees worth getting together so I tend to single it out. All of the degrees not worth getting lie outside of STEM; a few worth getting also lay outside of it.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 12:48 AM   #16
Nugget
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
From signature: Battery Status - On the Mac App Store
I don't really have an opinion on the haves or have nots, but I wanted to say I love your app and I hope the $1.99 I spent helped pay for a new Mac Pro.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 01:14 AM   #17
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
I don't really have an opinion on the haves or have nots, but I wanted to say I love your app and I hope the $1.99 I spent helped pay for a new Mac Pro.
You helped pay for my fiancé's engagement ring.

Glad to hear you love the app. Don't you, as a MacRumors Demi-God, have some power over what gets reviewed in the MacRumors OS X blog? I request a review each time I update Battery Status with new features, and while the editors sometimes say they'll look into it, they've never actually written anything on it. Maybe you could throw some weight behind getting it reviewed.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 01:20 AM   #18
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I get the same crap all the time from my friends. Yes, I have a job that not anyone could do and so I get paid more than you. No, that doesn't make me rich (I'm still $10K in debt from student loans... hoping to be debt free for the first time in 3 years by mid 2014...)
Despite your personal lack of wealth, you still live a life that most people would consider wealthy or well off, if only from a standpoint of the resources you use ...

Quote:
Leaving our mark

MIT class tracks carbon footprint of different lifestyles; finds even the smallest U.S. footprints are relatively large

Whether you live in a cardboard box or a luxurious mansion, whether you subsist on homegrown vegetables or wolf down imported steaks, whether you're a jet-setter or a sedentary retiree, anyone who lives in the U.S. contributes more than twice as much greenhouse gas to the atmosphere as the global average, an MIT class has estimated.

The class studied the carbon emissions of Americans in a wide variety of lifestyles--from the homeless to multimillionaires, from Buddhist monks to soccer moms--and compared them to those of other nations. The somewhat disquieting bottom line is that in the United States, even people with the lowest energy usage account for, on average, more than double the global per-capita carbon emission. And those emissions rise steeply from that minimum as people's income increases.

"Regardless of income, there is a certain floor below which the individual carbon footprint of a person in the U.S. will not drop," says Timothy Gutowski, professor of mechanical engineering, who taught the class that calculated the rates of carbon emissions. The results will be presented this May at the IEEE International Symposium on Electronics and the Environment in San Francisco.

While it may seem surprising that even people whose lifestyles don't appear extravagant--the homeless, monks, children--are responsible for significant greenhouse gas emissions, one major factor is the array of government services that are available to everyone in the United States. These basic services--including police, roads, libraries, the court system and the military--were allocated equally to everyone in the country in this study. Other services that are more specific, such as education or Medicare, were allocated only to those who actually make use of them.

The students conducted detailed interviews or made detailed estimates of the energy usage of 18 lifestyles, spanning the gamut from a vegetarian college student and a 5-year-old up to the ultrarich--Oprah Winfrey and Bill Gates. The energy impact for the rich was estimated from published sources, while all the others were based on direct interviews. The average annual carbon dioxide emissions per person, they found, was 20 metric tons, compared to a world average of four tons.

But the "floor" below which nobody in the U.S. can reach, no matter a person's energy choices, turned out to be 8.5 tons, the class found. That was the emissions calculated for a homeless person who ate in soup kitchens and slept in homeless shelters.

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2008/f...nt-tt0416.html

There are different ways to measure wealth than simply by one's bank account.

I think the OP has a good point.

We're so far removed from how most of the people in the world live, that we've lost track of what poverty and wealth really mean.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2013, 01:28 AM   #19
ElectronGuru
macrumors 65816

Quote:
When does being a student not suck? Nothing sucks more than being a student - you have to pay tons of money to work hard, versus being employed where you get paid for working hard.
I used to think this same way. I then came to realize that the jobs many students do are also done by non students, who do it full time (sometimes 1.5-2x full time). And who have little or no hope of ever doing something else.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 01:29 AM   #20
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
Despite your personal lack of wealth, you still live a life that most people would consider wealthy or well off, if only from a standpoint of the resources you use ...

There are different ways to measure wealth than simply by one's bank account.

I think the OP has a good point.

We're so far removed from how most of the people in the world live, that we've lost track of what poverty and wealth really mean.
Maybe so, but the people accusing some of us of being rich are roughly in the same class as us. They're hypocritical, if nothing else.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 02:48 AM   #21
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Maybe so, but the people accusing some of us of being rich are roughly in the same class as us. They're hypocritical, if nothing else.
Not if they also think they are rich...
Old Dec 25, 2013, 04:01 AM   #22
copykris
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
wait who said anything about americans?

who's everyone else? you should travel more
copykris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2013, 05:18 AM   #23
bushido
macrumors 603

Quote:

----------

...?

----------

Didn't you get a job to cover those loans? Or are you one of those people who thought, when you heard you should go to college, that anyone seriously thinks you should get a non-STEM* degree?

*There are non-STEM degrees worth getting, but STEM groups most of the degrees worth getting together so I tend to single it out. All of the degrees not worth getting lie outside of STEM; a few worth getting also lay outside of it.
you do not have to pay for education over here, in fact i get paid from the state every month and they also pay for studying abroad and lets be honest, actual "studying" doesnt exist 3 weeks prior to the exams (unless you are doing a semester in Spain, even 2h before the exam seems to be enough)
bushido is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2013, 05:44 AM   #24
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

Instead of being angry over what you don't have, you should be happy with what you do have.

People WANT too much in today's society. They have no desire to live with just the basics, and that's sickening.

The Mac Pro is a $3,000 Pro machine. It was not made for the general consumer market like other Apple machines are. Is a $1,200 laptop still expensive? Yes. But that is Apple's strategy, and we have to accept it. People who can afford the new Mac Pro are easily going to make that money back in two months, it pays itself off.

I'm a college student too. I am finishing a marketable skills certificate program this next semester. I didn't want to take the 4 year program and be in debt, my college fund my dad invested into collapsed even, so I was even left with no money that I rightfully was entitled to.

I have been paying my tuition out of pocket MYSELF too. Sadly with my government benefits, but isn't that better than just sitting on my ass all day doing nothing instead and you paying for THAT?

As for being guilty about poverty in Africa, etc... The thing is, we've been pouring BILLIONS into those programs since at least the 80's. We're doing as much as we can and it seems to make very little difference. Not that we should stop caring, but man, we can't even fix our own local poverty.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 07:23 AM   #25
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
As for being guilty about poverty in Africa, etc... The thing is, we've been pouring BILLIONS into those programs since at least the 80's. We're doing as much as we can and it seems to make very little difference. Not that we should stop caring, but man, we can't even fix our own local poverty.
Africa has grown fast - 6 of the 10 fastest growing economies are in Africa. http://www.economist.com/blogs/baoba...lopment-africa

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues