Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psound

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Hoping my internal drive isn't done for; haven't backed up in over two months. Aaaaargh!

Computer started slowing down and was getting Beachball of death like crazy. Eventually, after several restarts, I couldn't get past login screen.

Tried to repair the drive via Disk Utility in target disk mode from another computer.

"Can't repair this disk" God, please no.

However, I can still mount the Bootcamp partition and see the files there which is the only glimmer of hope I'm hanging on to. If the hard-drive was fried wouldn't both partitions be unmountable??

Any suggestions?

Will buying Diskwarrior or Drive Genius be able to fix what Disk Utility can't?

Anything else?

Oh, and Merry Christmas

Last edited:

murphychris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2012
Computer started slowing down and was getting Beachball of death like crazy. Eventually, after several restarts, I couldn't get past login screen.

Boot in Safe Mode.

Tried to repair the drive via Disk Utility in target disk mode from another computer.

"Can't repair this disk" God, please no.

Don't repair whole drives. Repair specific volumes, the ones with plain language names. In any case, this is done when you boot in safe mode so you don't need to do it again.

However, I can still mount the Bootcamp partition and see the files there which is the only glimmer of hope I'm hanging on to. If the hard-drive was fried wouldn't both partitions be unmountable??

Yes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.