Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Refujeet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2005
I my sister will be moving to Dubai for work next month and I wanted to get her an unlocked iPhone. Would a Canadian iPhone 5s work in Dubai, or should I just give her the cash and have her buy it in Dubai?

Thank you in advance...

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
If she buys an iphone in Dubai, my understanding is that FaceTime is permently deactivated on the device (even if she later moves back to Canada.)

I believe that FaceTime will be tuned off when using a Dubai SIM card on a "foreign" iphone, but once another countries sim is put back in the iphone FaceTime will come back.

Of course, this is all from my google research, so you may want to confirm with someone currently in that country that what I posted is true.

Reference:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/23841226#23841226

Refujeet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2005
Thanks for the Facetime info... I had no idea!

What about the cellular bands? Will she be worse off (with regards to network quality/speed) by having a Canadian iPhone?

mobutt

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
In Dubai you could have problems with LTE , but in 3G it will works flawlessly.
I've been in dubai the past week and the service from du has been decent except for my hotel. I have an American 5S though.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I've been in dubai the past week and the service from du has been decent except for my hotel. I have an American 5S though.
They use European LTE bands, so if you have an American 5s maybe you'll be missing a couple of bands.

Perth12

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2013
I wasnt aware that some services were disabled in Dubai. I purchased a 5s in Qatar and the service provider doesn't offer 4g yet so I'm unsure about LTE bands.

Google search hasn't helped answer any questions does anyone know where i can research?

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I wasnt aware that some services were disabled in Dubai. I purchased a 5s in Qatar and the service provider doesn't offer 4g yet so I'm unsure about LTE bands.

Google search hasn't helped answer any questions does anyone know where i can research?

The model sold in Quatar is the same you can find in Europe, but you are going to have a device where FaceTime is disabled.

Gooner49

macrumors demi-god
Jun 26, 2013
Chicago, IL
Yup! It will work ....

I my sister will be moving to Dubai for work next month and I wanted to get her an unlocked iPhone. Would a Canadian iPhone 5s work in Dubai, or should I just give her the cash and have her buy it in Dubai?

Thank you in advance...

To add my two cents out here ..

If you purchase an iPhone from here (specifically in UAE/KSA) then your FaceTime/iMessage will be permanently disabled.
The only way to get that back is to set the iPhone in DFU mode and re-install the iOS outside UAE/KSA.

The only loop-hole to this is to jail-break your device as I have couple friends/colleagues of mine who have adopted this method.
If you don't wish to go down that route, then your best bet would be to get the device from Canada itself.

Should you choose this, I am assuming the model number to be A1533 (GSM Model).
Source: www.apple.com/iphone/LTE
That will work with the UAE's carriers; i.e., Etisalat and Du.

These carriers use the LTE bands 3 or 7 (or both).
I am right now in Kuwait on VIVA network and I have the same model number as well (A1533).
I can vouch that LTE works well out here and UAE (as I keep travelling to Dubai every now and then).

Wish your sister all the best in moving to UAE.
It is definitely the place to be.
:)

For more information, refer this link as it will help you out with this:
http://www.techview.me/2013/09/apple-iphone-5s-5c-4g-lte-compatibility-middle-east/

Cheers!
:D

Last edited:

Gooner49

macrumors demi-god
Jun 26, 2013
Chicago, IL
To add to this discussion, I have to say that it is the country's TRA which has blocked these services.
That means iMessage/FaceTime will not work out here.

It is interesting to note that Android operated devices which have similar apps are unblocked and unrestricted.

Double standards or what?!
:rolleyes:

I'm glad that Kuwait does not have that harsh restrictions with regard to telecom regulations.
It seems essentially criminal to block something like this.

Then again, Apple does restrict things on their OS that we all get to deal with.
I realize it's different, but in so many ways, it is also the same.
;)

Last edited:

NickRichyRich

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2013
Check the support bands that the carriers you have offer and compare them to the one that you are thinking about going with in Duabi. I would say that purchasing the phone there is going to be an easier transition and less of a head ash. Depends on how long she is going to be there through.

Gooner49

macrumors demi-god
Jun 26, 2013
Chicago, IL
They use European LTE bands, so if you have an American 5s maybe you'll be missing a couple of bands.

It is not necessarily the case. You see, depending from where you get the device from, the LTE bands will vary.
Apple's website www.apple.com/iphone/LTE pretty much explains which models will work where.

I should agree that the device sold by the network carriers are mainly the UK/EU Model (A1457).
But as far as I know, the majority have their devices bought from outside the Middle East and not from the region's carriers.

I get lte though

Regardless of the model you have, both the carriers in UAE will support LTE.

Last edited:

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I get lte though

You can have LTE also with a single band available, but the coverage could be spotty and performances lower.

----------

It is not necessarily the case. You see, depending from where you get the device from, the LTE bands will vary.
Apple's website www.apple.com/iphone/LTE pretty much explains which models will work where.

I should agree that the device sold by the network carriers are mainly the UK/EU Model (A1457).
But as far as I know, the majority have their devices bought from outside the Middle East and not from the region's carriers.

Regardless of the model you have, both the carriers in UAE will support LTE.

As you can see Canadian models are missing the band 7, which is the one with higher frequency, the best for a city with high buildings.
This is the reason why I suspect a possibly spotty coverage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.