Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maclver

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 23, 2008
New Mexico
Is there a way to create a bootable USB drive to do a clean install of Mavericks on a Retina Macbook Pro (Late 2013)?

Just got one and want to do a clean install without do the recovery drive thing!

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
I guess you first have to create the image, and to do so you might need to have it installed first…
Maybe create a new partition and do the install in that partition first?
I am still running Lion so don't pay much attention to my suggestion, I will upgrade sometime soon, curious to know about it :D

EDIT: found this
Mavericks clean install

Last edited:

Maclver

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 23, 2008
New Mexico
I guess you first have to create the image, and to do so you might need to have it installed first…
Maybe create a new partition and do the install in that partition first?
I am still running Lion so don't pay much attention to my suggestion, I will upgrade sometime soon, curious to know about it :D

EDIT: found this
Mavericks clean install

The problem is with the rMBP you can't download Mavericks from the App store.

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010

File a bug report.

Apple counts how many people file reports for the same bug, and uses that to prioritize what gets fixed first. So if everyone who has this problem reports it, it should get more attention.

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012

Yes, you can. I just did that. These are Apple's instructions to create a bootable usb drive:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5856

Edit: once you've downloaded your Mavericks Installer into Applications, you need to open a shell and run "createinstallmedia". The important thing here is to get your path right for the "--volume" parameter, otherwise you might erase something you don't want to erase (but you will be prompted). You also need to remember that spaces are escaped with the backslash. In the example below, I installed onto my USB stick called /Volumes/Mavericks Bootable, but it is named as "Volumes/Mavericks\ Bootable" in the second command given below.

First you cd into the proper resources directory:

Code:
>cd /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/

Then you run the actual command:

Code:
>sudo ./createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Mavericks\ Bootable --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app
Ready to start.
To continue we need to erase the disk at /Volumes/Mavericks Bootable.
If you wish to continue type (Y) then press return: Y
Erasing Disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%...100%...
Copying installer files to disk...

Last edited:

ooans

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
Yes, you can. I just did that. These are Apple's instructions to create a bootable usb drive:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5856

The thing is that you cant download Mavericks with the latest rMBP (without using recovery mode apparently). Nor can you boot from a USB with Mavericks created by another mac.

This is probably due to the new rMBP still having a custom build.

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012

ooans

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    514.1 KB · Views: 127

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
Does not work on the newest rMBP. When trying to click download I get this error message (see attached pic.)

Yes, I see what you mean. Well, all I can say, is that you are not alone:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/24156215#24156215

Edit: It's being discussed here as well:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1688086/

Seems someone has come up with a suggestion on how to extract the installer files which are downloaded by the recovery partition, based on a former Lion experiment found here:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110831105634716

Last edited:

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
I think we have an answer for you. I followed the MacWorlds tips above and I was able to mount the recovery HD and grab the installer. You should be able to do that as well, obtaining the one which is specific to your rmbp. Of course, you will need to adapt for your system, but basically what I did can be seen below. After you've attached the BaseSystem.dmg, you will see a folder pop up on your desktop in which you should see a nice icon labeled "Install OS X Mavericks". Afterwards, you just need to follow the instructions I gave earlier in this thread to make a bootable installer. In theory, it should work...

Code:
$ diskutil mount readOnly /dev/disk0s3
Volume Recovery HD on /dev/disk0s3 mounted
$ hdiutil attach "/Volumes/Recovery HD/com.apple.recovery.boot/BaseSystem.dmg" 
Checksumming Driver Descriptor Map (DDM : 0)…
     Driver Descriptor Map (DDM : 0): verified   CRC32 $01CEE39B
Checksumming  (Apple_Free : 1)…
                    (Apple_Free : 1): verified   CRC32 $00000000
Checksumming Apple (Apple_partition_map : 2)…
     Apple (Apple_partition_map : 2): verified   CRC32 $4F771A3A
Checksumming disk image (Apple_HFS : 3)…
..................................................................................................................................
          disk image (Apple_HFS : 3): verified   CRC32 $69310D69
Checksumming  (Apple_Free : 4)…
                    (Apple_Free : 4): verified   CRC32 $00000000
verified   CRC32 $65D61011
/dev/disk4          	Apple_partition_scheme         	
/dev/disk4s1        	Apple_partition_map            	
/dev/disk4s2        	Apple_HFS                      	/Volumes/OS X Base System

dirtnnasty

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2013
I'm new at Mac...

... and so I never did a recovery. I thought in case of a problem, I need to boot to the recovery partition and then I can recover?!?!

Actually I am living at a palace with weak internet connection, so if it is necessary/better to make this (create a boot stick), I would do this...

Ai-apple

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2013
Does not work on the newest rMBP. When trying to click download I get this error message (see attached pic.)

Try pressing <OPTION> key on the keyboard and click <Purchases> on App Store next to <Updates>.

dirtnnasty

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2013
Try pressing <OPTION> key on the keyboard and click <Purchases> on App Store next to <Updates>.

This does work... I Can see Mavericks in my rMBP 2013 but cannot download it. App Store quits it with the above mentioned message...

ooans

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011

Even if it would download it, it would be in vain, because you cannot install that version of Mavericks on a new rMBP. Currently, as far as I know, the only way to get ahold of the special version of Mavericks is via Recovery Mode.

dirtnnasty

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2013
it's me again...

I downloaded Mavericks as ISO because I cannot download it in the Macstore (because I already have a rMBP2013 and the store didn't allow me to download it) and because I have a weak internet connection at the moment...

I tried to "put" this ISO onto a Flashdrive(see pic) but when I reboot with ALT and I select the flash drive, it shows me an error...

How can I make my flash drive bootable?

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2013-12-28 um 22.51.30.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2013-12-28 um 22.51.30.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 109

ooans

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
it's me again...

I downloaded Mavericks as ISO because I cannot download it in the Macstore (because I already have a rMBP2013 and the store didn't allow me to download it) and because I have a weak internet connection at the moment...

I tried to "put" this ISO onto a Flashdrive(see pic) but when I reboot with ALT and I select the flash drive, it shows me an error...

How can I make my flash drive bootable?

If you have a Late 2013 rMBP then the ISO you downloaded is probably not compatible with your laptop. Late 2013 macs seem use a special version of Mavericks that can be only downloaded via Recovery partition. As far as I know no one has been able to create a USB stick out of the special Mavericks version.

dirtnnasty

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2013
Ah ok that explains everything !!!!

EDIT: Can somebody share the installation files downloaded in Recovery for the rMBP late 2013 ?
For example on a filsharing hoster?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.