Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Dec 25, 2013, 03:25 PM   #1
BluAffiliate
macrumors regular

What are some unpopular beliefs you hold?

Please no flaming, this is just to share some beliefs you hold that are "unpopular" or "politically incorrect" by most of society's standards and likely will get you flamed in real life. This is the place to air them out.

If someone accuses someone of raping them, if they are found to be lying they should receive the penalty their accused would have been facing (or something harsh to discourage the practice).

America can never have socialized healthcare unless we ban fast food because our people are so overweight it will be too expensive.

If you can barely pay your rent and don't have a job you shouldn't have kids.

If you jailbreak you are 99% doing it so you can pirate apps or do something else illegal. Apple is completely right in trying to limit jailbreaking.
BluAffiliate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2013, 03:37 PM   #2
satcomer
macrumors 68040

Never try to be critical but instead be constructive.

Morality is really always trying to do the right thing, especially when no one is looking.

When your country's service person comes back hurt, have some sympathy for them.
satcomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2013, 03:38 PM   #3
And
macrumors 6502

A nice light-hearted thread to lift everyone's spirits on Christmas day.
And is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2013, 03:41 PM   #4
dukebound85
macrumors P6

I think there should be a 100% inheritance tax to reinvest back into society.

Everyone should start on as even a laying field as possible
dukebound85 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2013, 03:49 PM   #5
Peace
macrumors P6

One belief I have is that this thread is bound for PRSI.
Peace is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2013, 03:55 PM   #6
BluAffiliate
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by satcomer View Post

Morality is really always trying to do the right thing, especially when no one is looking.

When your country's service person comes back hurt, have some sympathy for them.
These are unpopular?
BluAffiliate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2013, 05:52 PM   #7
mscriv
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
One belief I have is that this thread is bound for PRSI.
I definitely concur.

I believe participation trophies and the silly notion that "everyone is a winner" is completely ridiculous.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 07:59 PM   #8
satcomer
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluAffiliate View Post
These are unpopular?
In many places! I couldn't count how times in the U.K. And in my home country of the U.S.A. people have sneered at me when I was in the service coming home after a day of duty Stateside, even in Texas!!!
satcomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2013, 08:07 PM   #9
steve knight
macrumors 65816

if you don't help others you will die a lonely person.
if you think you have the right to preach and tell others how to live then you need to let others tell you the same thing and listen. If you can't do this then shut up. You came out of a woman's vagina just like everyone else deal with it.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 12:54 AM   #10
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Nice to see a thread like this one.

It is immoral to die a rich man. Rich people should give back to society, not because they can, but because they should.

I believe Smokers are an ignorant bunch of people. By the age of 10 or so, most of us should already have been made aware of the illnesses smoking can cause, yet people continue to do so regardless. If carrying on slow-motion suicide/self-body harm despite knowing the consequences is not asinine then I don't know what is. It's tantamount to making a mistake even when you know it is a mistake.

I still think guns should be banned in America (although I do not reside there), in spite of the fact that I've seen some Americans provide practical and somewhat reasonable views why they felt that it should not be banned. I also believe NRA is an association that causes more harm than good.

I like this one which satcomer said: "Morality is really always trying to do the right thing, especially when no one is looking."

This is the kind of thread where I would look forward to the input of forumers like Shrink or Scepticalscribe.
Beeplance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 01:01 AM   #11
ideal.dreams
macrumors 68000

I've found that every belief and view I have is the exact opposite of what the Internet feels, 9.99 times out of 10.

I am against gay marriage, I believe in God, I love Apple products, I'm not for legalizing marijuana, I'm against abortion (with the exception of rape cases). Basically, I have very conservative views. And to put the icing on the cake...why does everyone hate Nickelback?
ideal.dreams is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 04:42 AM   #12
FrankieTDouglas
macrumors 65816

"Equal Employment Opportunity: we encourage qualified female, LGBTQ, disabled, and minority individuals to apply for all positions."

As someone who is a male, straight, able-bodied, white person, I view this directly opposite of an equal employment opportunity situation. In my opinion, it works counter to its goal due to explicitly stating a preference in a potential employee that is quite broad, yet precisely excluding with its wording.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 05:25 AM   #13
deluxeshredder
macrumors 6502

My unpopular beliefs are:
1) Speed is not convenience;
2) Trying hard despite having no talent is like building on a strong foundation;
3) Celebrations are detrimental to good play.
deluxeshredder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 05:35 AM   #14
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
This is the kind of thread where I would look forward to the input of forumers like Shrink or Scepticalscribe.
Sorry to disappoint, but I am neither aware, nor particularly care, if my beliefs are unpopular or not. I'm sure that some of my beliefs are unpopular with many, and acceptable to some. Nothing specific comes to mind that would be universally disliked.

Wait...I have one...instant coffee should not be permitted to be called coffee. It should be called "Hot Brown Foul Tasting Drink Not Fit For Human Consumption".

Pretty radical and controversial stuff...right?

Old Dec 26, 2013, 05:52 AM   #15
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

I believe that all governments across the western world should make it their policy to help and protect the “Baby Boomers” this group has been completely forgotten and financially overlooked, when will the injustice END.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 07:25 AM   #16
senseless
macrumors 65816

Extended warranties are a waste of money.
senseless is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 07:38 AM   #17
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Paedophiles should be pitied. I pity them.

Not that condones any of their paedophilic actions. I just understand sexuality isn't a choice. These people are as cursed as the children they abuse.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 08:34 AM   #18
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by satcomer View Post

These are politically incorrect beliefs? I'm confused.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 08:35 AM   #19
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

Oops I didn't see you could have more.

Libertarians should be treated as if they have a mental disease, the idea that there are no rules, and that the free market decides every aspect of life. There is a very good reason why this system of government has never been tried on a large scale. IT DOESN’T WORK, IT’S A MYTH.

They should be taxed at 100% and all money should go to the real losers the poor downtrodden, "Baby Boomers". You know it makes sense.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 08:39 AM   #20
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

Doctors, teachers and social workers who do a bad job should be held accountable. With minor offences being dealt with by stocks in the town centre, and more serious ones resulting in the death penalty.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 08:43 AM   #21
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple fanboy View Post
Doctors, teachers and social workers who do a bad job should be held accountable. With minor offences being dealt with by stocks in the town centre, and more serious ones resulting in the death penalty.
Do you read the Daily Mail by any chance?

This just a question, there is no hidden agenda, it's just that I've never met one.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 09:36 AM   #22
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happybunny View Post
Do you read the Daily Mail by any chance?

This just a question, there is no hidden agenda, it's just that I've never met one.
I don't read any news paper. I just have first hand experience of what bad teachers, doctors and social workers can do to an innocent family with absulotly no consequences for them.
Also the general reaction when a guilty teacher, doctor or social worker misses the rather obvious signs that a child is at risk. It wasn't my fault it was someone else's.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 09:39 AM   #23
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple fanboy View Post
I don't read any news paper. I just have first hand experience of what bad teachers, doctors and social workers can do to an innocent family with absulotly no consequences for them.
Also the general reaction when a guilty teacher, doctor or social worker misses the rather obvious signs that a child is at risk. It wasn't my fault it was someone else's.
Please you do not have to justify your post, it's just that I've heard about "Daily Mail" readers but I've never met one.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 09:51 AM   #24
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happybunny View Post
Please you do not have to justify your post, it's just that I've heard about "Daily Mail" readers but I've never met one.
No worries. Just wanted to clarify I wasn't a person who formulates an opinion based on some biased news article. My experiences have taught me that there are certain people who are above the law. When an independent review shows they were negligent and didn't follow their own procedures, nobody loses their job over it. Two and a half years later we are still picking up the pieces and living in fear.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 09:59 AM   #25
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

Now that I’m on a roll as a grumpy old man.

Taxes on pensions.
This is rank discrimination of the highest order, we the poor downtrodden “Baby Boomers” have paid tax on this money, when we put it away for our “Final salary Pensions”. This is paying tax twice over the same money.

Forget “Think about the children” instead “Think about a Boomer” YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues