Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Ive just bought an iPad Air for the whole family to use. We want to keep this separate from our other devices (iPhones/Macbook) accounts, so I guess I need to create new Apple ID/iTunes/email accounts for the family to use? I was intending to use my MacBook Pro to do this, and to use findmyipad etc.

So, how do I set up a new iTunes account for it on my MacBook, as currently when I connect the iPad to it, it wants to sync to my existing iTunes account? I assume I need a new iCloud account as well?

Could someone please clear up my confusion. Thanks:)

Last edited:

Billy Boo Bob

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2005
Dark Side Of The Moon
As far as your library in iTunes is concerned, you can create or switch to a new / different library by holding OptionKey when you launch iTunes… I'm not sure if this different library will store a separate online (AppleID) account, though, or if it keeps the online account the same no matter which local library is loaded.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Thanks:). Ive just given that a try, the box came up with my Apple ID and prompted me for my password. Instead, I typed in the new iPad Apple ID and its password, but it wouldn't allow me to go further. I then typed in my personal Apple ID/password and it just opened up my regular iTunes account.

Is there a way of adding a new blank library for use with another device? Or should I be doing things a different way?

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Thanks, I'm sure its possible, I just need to get my head around it.

So far I have over £2500 worth of Apple devices, yet I can't use them as I want to. I just want to have control over what content I can put on the iPad, but Apple don't make this easy. Or perhaps its me thats confused:confused:

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Well I might have cracked this wide open:D

On my MacBook I opened up my iTunes account and went to Store > Sign Out. This signed me out of my personal iTunes account.

I was then able to sign back into iTunes but using the Apple ID that I created for the iPad. I then opened up Finder on my MacBook and was able to drag the movie files into the iPads iTunes account. A quick sync with the iPad and the files were successfully transferred:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.