Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HeroGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2013
I'm going to assume Safari...but has it been universally decided yet?

Last edited:

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
It's a meaningless question, like asking which OS uses the least memory.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
How? Surely one used more memory than the other.

Maybe, but it doesn't mean anything to you. Your computer works. You browse the internet. It might be like asking which car has a larger gas tank--it doesn't change how long it take to drive to work.

HeroGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2013
Maybe, but it doesn't mean anything to you. Your computer works. You browse the internet. It might be like asking which car has a larger gas tank--it doesn't change how long it take to drive to work.
True, maybe I'm incorrect here but I thought memory usage contributes to how long my battery lasts. Is this not the case?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, you are incorrect.
Memory usage (by itself) does not dramatically affect how long your battery lasts. Much more, the OTHER resources that your browser may draw upon, such as CPU usage, and if storage needs to be accessed - read/write to hard drive, for example.

HeroGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2013
Yes, you are incorrect.
Memory usage (by itself) does not dramatically affect how long your battery lasts. Much more, the OTHER resources that your browser may draw upon, such as CPU usage, and if storage needs to be accessed - read/write to hard drive, for example.
I probably meant CPU usage, darn.

In any case which browser is the easiest on my battery?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I probably meant CPU usage, darn.

In any case which browser is the easiest on my battery?

The easy answer is: the browser that uses the least system resources will give you the best power consumption, hence the longest battery life.

Yes, that's a circular answer.
Your own browser use (the methods that you use, such as multiple tabs, and the various plugins/extensions, etc) is probably much more effect than which browser you run. Some sites require a lot more from the system, too.
And, you may find that you need to adjust how you use your laptop (screen brightness, and other techniques that result in better battery life) more than discovering an "easy" browser.

Yell0w

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2008
I view this as a subjective question because each person's browsing habits varies from person to person.

However I personally for me I just use Safari because its pre installed

dirtnnasty

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2013
There Is no big difference in energy efficiency as far as you get rid of flash...

I think chrome can preload web pages as a comfort service for you, but those services use energy ( CPU and wireless connection)...

If you just use the services you need there is no difference...

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
The browser which uses the least CPU is probably Lynx. I don't think you will find this answer very satisfactory though ;)

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Generally, Firefox is the least resource-intensive.

I shun Chrome, or anything Google for that matter. They send back anything and everything back to the NSA. In fact, Google even once said that you shouldn't expect privacy when you use its products.

Miloh

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2011
I shun Chrome, or anything Google for that matter. They send back anything and everything back to the NSA. In fact, Google even once said that you shouldn't expect privacy when you use its products.

No, just no. This is so far out of left field wrong.

Not only is Google NOT voluntarily giving away user data to the NSA, but when they found out that not only had the NSA been tapping into metadata via PRISM, but that they had penetrated their internal network and were siphoning data directly from the tap, they accelerated their efforts to encrypt their internal network and get them out.

Several Google engineers have left some choice words for the NSA too, something along the lines of "**** these guys".

Google's business is advertising, selling out to the NSA is the worst thing they could do to their business. Unlike RSA, who did sell out to the NSA for a cool $10 million, and is going to be feeling the hurt.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
No, just no. This is so far out of left field wrong.

Not only is Google NOT voluntarily giving away user data to the NSA, but when they found out that not only had the NSA been tapping into metadata via PRISM, but that they had penetrated their internal network and were siphoning data directly from the tap, they accelerated their efforts to encrypt their internal network and get them out.

Several Google engineers have left some choice words for the NSA too, something along the lines of "**** these guys".

Google's business is advertising, selling out to the NSA is the worst thing they could do to their business. Unlike RSA, who did sell out to the NSA for a cool $10 million, and is going to be feeling the hurt.
Do you really believe that? Do you really believe what they say? They were subpoenaed into it. All this 'strengthening' of their internal network is just some PR ******** for the public to feel more secure.

Either way, google is also wrong to sniff out for keywords in gmail emails or web history for ad purposes.

Look at Microsoft's jab against google in their pig Latin advert. For once I'm with Microsoft on this one.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/10243612/Google-email-users-should-not-expect-privacy.html

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/news/Press/2013/Nov13/KeepingyourEmailivat.aspx

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Your own browser use (the methods that you use, such as multiple tabs, and the various plugins/extensions, etc) is probably much more effect than which browser you run. Some sites require a lot more from the system, too.
^ This. Try using different browsers and see how your own power usage varies with the different browsers. It's not just the browser itself that matters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.