Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoeaus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2013
I had to update my macbook to OS X Mountain Lion to run some programs for university, but when I did this iPhoto was deleted.

I have it back up on Time Machine - iphoto version 8.1.2

but when I try and drag it from time machine to the desktop it comes up with a message saying that it needs to be updated. But most of the forums say to download it from the disk (which i don't have) or download it from the app store which i can't do as the original came with my computer.

Please help me.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you erased your hard drive to upgrade to ML, and now you are missing the iLife apps, which includes iPhoto - you should be successful in restoring iPhoto from your Time Machine backup, following the tips that tampasteve offered.

If that doesn't work, you can reinstall the iLife software from your original installer DVDs. That's the set of two grey DVDs that came in the box when it was new. The 2nd disk is the one that you will need.
If those are gone, or lost, then you will need to find a reinstall disk for iLife '09. And, it's also possible that iPhoto 8.1.2 won't work with Mountain Lion, and you really will need to update iPhoto (which means purchasing iLife '11) - but, you can also get the latest iPhoto by itself at the App Store (which also means upgrading to Mavericks)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.