Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gooser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2013
looking at the external dvd drives that owc has for sale and i only see one that is still supported by firewire. i would like to hook up an external drive to whatever machine i am using to keep from wearing out any of my internals. my needs are
1. copying cd's using toast
2. ripping dvd's using ripit and mac the ripper
3. importing cd's into itunes.
will an external dvd burner be able to satisfy all three of these needs? thanks.

gooser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2013
well my drive showed up today and you were right. but i got more. i've read that apple's dvd player will not work with externals but it does with this one. cool.

gooser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2013
it's listed as owc mercury pro 800/400 + usb3 multidrive. the application dvd player works on a 1.25ghz imac and a 1.33 ibook both running 10.4 and a 2.13ghz macbook running 10.6. dvd player just launches when i insert a dvd. just like the internals. i use firewire 400.

pcfast

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2013
I was considering getting an external dvd reader/burner too. Was just thinking of getting one that is generic though.

Anyone have experience with usb dvd drives with PPC Macs?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
well my drive showed up today and you were right. but i got more. i've read that apple's dvd player will not work with externals but it does with this one. cool.
I've found that DVD Player will often work with an external optical drive. This spans from Jaguar through Mountain Lion on a few different Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.