Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nehaagrawal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2013
I am using Macbook Air.Can anyone please suggest me a good Video Editing Software on Mac( probably free or minimal price)

I need to edit my wedding videos , so quality is the most important criteria. I have heard about Imovie and quicktime. I found that with quicktime , I can only trim from beginning/end but my requirement is to cut the video at several points not just at beginning/end.

So I tried IMovie but I am unable to open my videos in IMovie even though the extension is .mov . Then I tried converting my videos for IMovie compatible codec using "MPEG Streamclip" and "iDealShare VideoGo". Both tools converted my videos but now I can only hear the sound and no video.

Then I tried "ISky Soft Video converter" and it has successfully converted my video and I am able to open it but it leaves a watermark.

I need something which is free , doesn't leave watermark and can convert my videos without compromising on quality. Does converting in some other codec degrade quality?

Please suggest some software.Thanks in advance!!

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Quicktime can convert all your footage for you.

File > Export
or
File > Share

Do either of those on all your videos and the exports will import into iMovie just fine.

nehaagrawal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2013
Thank you Schtumple from the bottom of my heart :)
You saved my day!! I have one more question. I have more than 1000 videos of 1 minute each which would be combined together to make by wedding video film. It is tedious to convert each and every video using quicktime and then import it into Imovie.

Is there any better solution that could save this effort? I mean a software which could be use both for conversion and editing? Is this how professional Video Editor do their work?Is Imovie a professional choice or is it only for Home use?

Thanks again!!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I think Smart Converter Pro can do it! However, just fire up the App Store, there are plenty of free and cheap video applications in the App Store. It is really a great place to get programs.

iMovie is plenty powerful for basic wedding videos, especially is used to simply edit without a theme attached. I personally still use iMovie 9.0.9 (iLife '11) in advanced mode and FCP X when I need something powerful. That being said, iMovie 10 is a completely different breed of animal. If your Mac is running Mavericks there is a good chance that it is using the new version of iMovie. That is fine as long as you don't expect professional features. That being said, Apple has come a long way with iMovie, and now has 64 bit support. There is also fine tuning color and sound which really works well in comparison to older versions of the program. I think it is fine for you for now, but if you are intending on doing any video work to sell, FCP X is the way to go.

Last edited:

nehaagrawal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2013
Thanks a lot Altemose!! :)

I am using IMovie '11 (version 9.0.2). I just got to know about IMovie advance mode and I have turned it on. I will try these new features.
I haven't tried FCP X so I would give it a try if IMovie doesn't satisfy my needs.
I don't want to Sell anything. I need to do some ground work(Basic cutting and editing) before I send my wedding videos to professional photographer for final film as I hired a crappy Photographer and can't rely on him :(

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
iMovie will more than cut it then. I hope one of those programs will work out for you. Personally, I use iMovie for simpler movies but FCP X for something that requires a little more customization. I have not used something like Avid or Adobe. In a way, since Apple has been working on this path of building their programs like a pyramid, anyone who has used iMovie will have no issue doing the same in FCP X. However, the difference is that FCP X also offers alot more room to grow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.