Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
England
Hi,
Does anyone know how to change the voice on Maps (for directions) from USA female to UK anything?
Thanks a lot!!!!:D

Reactions: mogfitz

Doro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
England
How do you change the SatNav voice in Maps?

Thanks Matttye but I am not talking about Siri, incidently mine is on a French male voice and I'm OK with that. I'm asking about the voice on the MAPS App that you hear when you ask directions between 2 sites and then press start and a voice guides you, a Sat Nav, so to speak. It is this voice that I'm trying to change.

Last edited:

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Thanks Matttye but I am not talking about Siri, incidently mine is on a French male voice and I'm OK with that. I'm asking about the voice on the MAPS App that you hear when you ask directions between 2 sites and then press start and a voice guides you, a Sat Nav, so to speak. It is this voice that I'm trying to change.

It changes that voice as well. They're the same source.

Doro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
England
How do you change the SatNav voice in Maps?

Thanks Tyler,
My Map voice is an American female voice and my Siri voice is a French male so I am confused as how one can change the other. I'd love an explanation:). When I go on Settings > general > Siri > language, there is only 1 option for a language hence my problem.
(Btw, it would be great if they allowed Siri to talk to you in at least 2 languages, without having to switch the language in settings but I digress).

Last edited:

Azy

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Not sure on this one but try

Settings > General > Accessibility > Voice Over > Langauges & Dialects > Add New Language > ...

I know this can be done to manually activate the high quality siri voice (when you first turn it on and you get that underwater siri it takes a while for it to download the voices)

May be worth a punt?

Liebo

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
I'm in the UK but changed my Siri voice to Canadian but maps directions was still UK English which I though was odd. Maybe maps just uses the default voice for the locale settings of the iPhone?

Doro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
England
Not sure on this one but try

Settings > General > Accessibility > Voice Over > Langauges & Dialects > Add New Language > ...

I know this can be done to manually activate the high quality siri voice (when you first turn it on and you get that underwater siri it takes a while for it to download the voices)

May be worth a punt?

Aaargh! it did not work:(, but thanks
:):):):):)

----------

I'm in the UK but changed my Siri voice to Canadian but maps directions was still UK English which I though was odd. Maybe maps just uses the default voice for the locale settings of the iPhone?

Wow, thanks, so how did you originally set your iPhone to have an English voice (male? Female?) on Maps? Please tell me and I shall try :)

Liebo

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
I didn't set maps voice, it just doesn't change when you change the Siri settings voice as others have posted above. Sorry.

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
There is a way to do it and I've done it. But can I remember how to do it...

I seem to recall changing any localisation setting to US. I got it from a poster on this forum and I'll try to dig out the post.

Doro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
England
Maps' voice

Settings > General > International > Voice Control

Hi,
My current configuration is Siri with a French male voice and somehow I get Maps with an American female voice. I'm trying to get the voice in Maps to speak with a UK accent. (Male or female, I don't care). It would also be ok if it spoke to me in a French voice.
Even if I change my French Siri voice to female, it does not change my Maps voice, It always stays fixed to US female.
Please help!

Last edited:

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Hi,
My current configuration is Siri with a French male voice and somehow I get Maps with an American female voice. I'm trying to get the voice in Maps to speak with a UK accent. (Male or female, I don't care). It would also be ok if it spoke to me in a French voice.
Even if I change my French Siri voice to female, it does not change my Maps voice, It always stays fixed to US female.
Please help!

You're definitely looking in General > International > Voice Control and not General > Siri > Language?

I tested this by having English (United Kingdom) in General > Siri > Language and English (United States) selected in General > International > Voice Control. I had one voice for Siri and one for Maps.

Since then, my phone has downloaded the new UK male & female voices for Siri that people have started to discover running 7.1 beta 3. Now I don't seem to be able to set a different voice for Maps and Siri. (The two settings change each other).

I believe French (France) got its new male & female voices with the original 7.0 release.

So I'm very surprised you have different voices. Please double check these two settings match. Trying changing to another language and back again. Whatever happens I don't think you're going to get French Siri and English Maps, but you should be able to get both as French.

Sorry I can't help more!

==============================

edit: Thought I'd test our your situation more throughoughly. With my Siri set to French (France), the Maps voice is whatever language is set in General > International > Language. I'm assuming you must have English set in here?

If you want to keep the English text on your phone, go with British English as the language there. The Maps voice will change to British and your Siri will remain French. The text on your iPhone will be slightly different in a few places compared to the default (US) English, as it'll now be British, but shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

Doro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
England
Wow

If you want to keep the English text on your phone, go with British English as the language there. The Maps voice will change to British and your Siri will remain French. The text on your iPhone will be slightly different in a few places compared to the default (US) English, as it'll now be British, but shouldn't be a problem.

Wow, THANKS!
That was it, I've changed it to British English as per your instructions on the International (I had to scroll down quite a bit as it was under undifferentiated 'English' beforehand then I eventually found the other English options. I now have a robotic English (ish) voice that won't annoy some of my passengers as much.
Thank you loads :-D!!!!

Last edited:

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I now have a robotic English (ish) voice that won't annoy some as my passengers as much.

Thank you loads :-D!!!!

You're welcome. The good news is 7.1 should bring less robotic UK English for everyone! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.